Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FCA duty cycle questions.

Default FCA duty cycle questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmaxink View Post
    Drop 718@60% to 400 and step it from there
    What happened to withholding your 'little golden treasure chest'?? That's okay, I won't divulge what for....hehe
    06 5.9L, EFILive / Silver Bullet Tuning
    06 LBZ, EFILive

Drop 718@60% to 400 and step it from there
    I tried this out this morning and it seemed to work, thanks again Kory.

I made the change in my street tune to try it out and although it takes some rpm it does make max rail pressure. Here is a screen shot of it. Why doesnt it show 71% on the duty cycle since I maxed it out?

06 QCLB, DRW
    Single pump
    Single turbo
    EFILive 772hp 1398tq

gordon@innovativediesel.com

Looks like she's holding FRP extremely well, I also noticed you are down 200uS from this screenshot and the last one... I'm assuming it's still holding rail at your commanded 2996uS?

Also, sorry for mis-informing you on the mA table vs desired.. I was obviously in la la land as we use this table to great help control surge off of big dual pumps.... You can override/underride your desired with the mA table...also a fuel flow base and mm3 per sec limit tables (which some are not available on the cummins). I hate saying something and having to go back, but human and make mistakes! Knew better, but glad to see she is coming along!
    -Kory

I'm out of ideas? Nah trick... When in doubt, 0xFFFF it out!

http://www.PPEI.com/

I understand your concern with peak DC%...but as someone who looks/tunes from logs all the time...I'm more concerned with the large deviation in FPA/FPD at the hit of the throttle.

There is quite a difference when you mash it....I'd be focusing my efforts on getting that out, doing that will ease the pain on the pump on top, as it's not trying AS hard to recover from a big hit.
    Les Szmidt
    2007 5.9 Dodge Ram
    2014 Ram 3500 Aisin tuning Emissions Equipped
    EFI Live Cummins BETA Tester
    Silver Bullet Tuning
    silverbullettuning@gmail.com
    www.youtube.com/ljszmidt
    http://www.facebook.com/SilverBulletTuninig

Looks like she's holding FRP extremely well, I also noticed you are down 200uS from this screenshot and the last one... I'm assuming it's still holding rail at your commanded 2996uS?

Also, sorry for mis-informing you on the mA table vs desired.. I was obviously in la la land as we use this table to great help control surge off of big dual pumps.... You can override/underride your desired with the mA table...also a fuel flow base and mm3 per sec limit tables (which some are not available on the cummins). I hate saying something and having to go back, but human and make mistakes! Knew better, but glad to see she is coming along!

Thanks for your help Kory.

Yes it was. I actually lowered the commanded rail pressure down to 160mpa just to see if it could manage stock pressure and I moved my rpm limiter back down from what I had it set for the dyno and I think that is why it may have been down.

Quote Originally Posted by 2007 5.9 View Post
    I understand your concern with peak DC%...but as someone who looks/tunes from logs all the time...I'm more concerned with the large deviation in FPA/FPD at the hit of the throttle.

There is quite a difference when you mash it....I'd be focusing my efforts on getting that out, doing that will ease the pain on the pump on top, as it's not trying AS hard to recover from a big hit.
    Thanks again for your help Les.

I agree, its easier to keep up when you dont fall so far behind. I'll get working on that and see what I can come up with.

OK, if your not concerned with the DC% then it wont bother me. I was just curious why it didnt show what I was commanding but obviously it was working tweaking the mA table.
    Last edited by DODGE74; September 19th, 2012 at 02:27 PM.
    06 QCLB, DRW
    Single pump
    Single turbo
    EFILive 772hp 1398tq

gordon@innovativediesel.com

Bringing this back up. I finally got my truck done and made pull down the track. My desired vs actual rail pressure is off and it takes a very hard hit once I'm out of the clutch and never really recovers. Unfortunately the Truck is competition only and I cannot test on the road and would like to wrap my head around this pump tuning. The truck went down the track very clean so I could use more PW to get more power but am wondering whats going on with my pumps before so. Their not keeping up but is there anything I can do in my tune? I read this thread and am kind of confused. Why is 71 the magic number for max duty cycle. What relationship does mA have With Pump flow or recovery? I'm having a stupid attack right now. So far the only FP tables I have touched are the Base and air densities. Not sure which way to go when tuning the injection pumps. The more I try to make since of desired and actual duty cycle the dumber I think I get. I shouldn't be running out of pump I wouldn't think. Any help is appreciated. The attached log is in EDA format, Tune was in CSP operating system #5 so you might need the latest unreleased version to view the log.
    Edit* Also cant figure out why mm3 dropped. Possibly because I fell under the charger but it drops before I let up. I have triple checked tune and nothing there is limiting me that I can tell.

900-1000RWHP
    Dual Pumps - stock/Floor It 3.5
    200% Extrude Honed NOZZLES
    Aeromotive A1000 Fuel System @ 35psi
    3.5 pump os basically new. Stocker is a few years old
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by comnrailpwr; July 16th, 2013 at 12:35 PM.

Ever take a dual pump setup and unplug the ground? It goes wide open... If you take the top of the duty cycle table (70%) and see where that is in conjunction with the mA table, you will see that 70% is wide open on the mA table. When the pump is unplugged, it does to 0mA and goes wide open. If you set up your tune to go to 70% and 0mA at WOT, then that is everything the pumps have in them. Sometimes if folks try to over pressure the pumps when not necessary they will surge.

Just a couple tips,
    Kory
    -Kory

I'm out of ideas? Nah trick... When in doubt, 0xFFFF it out!

http://www.PPEI.com/

Default Re: FCA duty cycle questions.

Thanks Kory. Well I have sinced made my max duty cycle 96% and above 50% on the mA table scales down to 0 rather quick. After the log thats posted I have made more pulls with these new settings. The tune is commanding max fuel so nothing is tune related. I have eliminated prv and still no change. At idle if I unplug either fca rp only goes to 20k so that tells me I have a leak somewhere in the system or each pump is weak(unlikely). Pulled crossover tubes and found two with light nicks on the ends. Hoping their my issue. Also found a cracked injector nozzle. Waiting on parts now. Hopefully all will be well. Hate to send pumps out mid season.
    Last edited by comnrailpwr; August 11th, 2013 at 05:19 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12