Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: VE table done now what.

Quote Originally Posted by In-Tech View Post
    I apologize for butting in. I understand newer users looking for a complete package that does or explains EVERYTHING. These "things" we buy are just TOOLS to help us do something that multitudes of OEM engineers have put together. It's hard but us engines builders and tuners know, we are never finished learning and improving
    I guess no one is getting the point. I am saying that the threads, whether Gas: GenIII or GenIV or E38. New users cannot relate to these threads because they reference out -of-date parameters. In-Tech you did butt in...I'm not saying I/we want a "be all/do all", maybe a cross reference of out dated parameters or use descriptions more. Problem is, EFILive not only renamed/deleted parameters, the names were changed making it impossible to learn how to manipulate tables from old references. When explaining issues it feels to me the explanations are like they are talking to someone with experience that understands the lingo. Even the tutorials reference parameters no longer used. Yes, I'm on a rant because I'm frustrated with the learning curve/process. Based on responses I feel sometimes responders don't get my question. I can handle "there is no cross reference", "there is no way to interpolate was is explained if you did not come in using the previous software. Blacky...I appreciate your response but am I expected to ask about matching parameters every time the parameters don't match the current software. I really want to learn but reading tutorial that do not relate to current parameters is unproductive. I wasn't trying to use LS1B VE but trying to learn a bout VE virtual tables. The VVE tutorial is good but is vague in places. Especially when saying to makes changes without saying why. Without a why I do not understand the repercussions of the change.
    I wish there were some tuners close to Tallahassee, FL that I could get an EFILive training session or even had a dyno. I've only been doing this for 6mo, so I'll keep reading and logging when I can. Maybe it'll sink in on day.
    LS3 Manual 6 spd E38 os:12633056
    Texas Speed 1 7/8" headers w/3" exhaust
    Texas Speed cam 229/236 .629/.615 112 LSA
    Hi-Ram intake stock injectors 90mmTB

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 5557nut View Post
    I guess no one is getting the point. I am saying that the threads, whether Gas: GenIII or GenIV or E38. New users cannot relate to these threads because they reference out -of-date parameters. In-Tech you did butt in...I'm not saying I/we want a "be all/do all", maybe a cross reference of out dated parameters or use descriptions more. Problem is, EFILive not only renamed/deleted parameters, the names were changed making it impossible to learn how to manipulate tables from old references. When explaining issues it feels to me the explanations are like they are talking to someone with experience that understands the lingo. Even the tutorials reference parameters no longer used. Yes, I'm on a rant because I'm frustrated with the learning curve/process. Based on responses I feel sometimes responders don't get my question. I can handle "there is no cross reference", "there is no way to interpolate was is explained if you did not come in using the previous software. Blacky...I appreciate your response but am I expected to ask about matching parameters every time the parameters don't match the current software. I really want to learn but reading tutorial that do not relate to current parameters is unproductive. I wasn't trying to use LS1B VE but trying to learn a bout VE virtual tables. The VVE tutorial is good but is vague in places. Especially when saying to makes changes without saying why. Without a why I do not understand the repercussions of the change.
    I wish there were some tuners close to Tallahassee, FL that I could get an EFILive training session or even had a dyno. I've only been doing this for 6mo, so I'll keep reading and logging when I can. Maybe it'll sink in on day.
    I'm sorry about not appearing to get your point. I actually got the point I was just trying to explain why you were seeing that issue...

Yes, the calibration names will change between controller types and yes that makes it difficult to follow tutorials/threads about older controllers when working on newer ones.
    There are reasons for that: Newer controllers have more complicated sets of calibrations so there is no way to keep the names the same. For example the LS1B has about 3 tables related to fuel ratios at wide open throttle , the E38 has about 8 tables.

There is no cross reference because it is difficult and usually wrong to equate tables between different controllers.

For example the LS1B table B3605 "Commended Fuel When in Open Loop" is indexed using MAP kPa, the almost equivalent E38 table B0141 "Open Loop Normal Commanded Fuel In Gear" table is indexed using Valve Temperature DegC. It is not right to consider anything that is said about the LS1B table in relation to the E38 table without first understanding how the tables work. They work differently since one is based on manifold pressure and one is based on valve temperature. It would be foolish for EFILive to imply that the tables can be tuned/manipulated/considered the same - by providing a cross reference between those two tables.

Tuning can be complicated and each different platform should be considered a totally new tuning experience. Some tuning techniques are transferable between platforms but many are not or need to be modified to cater for different platform implementations. It looks like you're putting in the time and effort to learn so please don't take my reply as discouragement, I wish more people would take the time to learn like you are doing.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

This thread is in the Gen III section of the forum.

You have a Gen IV (E38), I'll point you to the Gen IV tuning guide (VVE)... let me just find it...
    Last edited by joecar; January 31st, 2021 at 01:21 PM.

See Gen IV (and also applicable to Gen V) VVE tuning here:

VVE-Setup-Guide

Paul...I am so appreciated of the response. I did miss these response notifications/email. I'll have to look into that.
    I guess I'm the one missing the point. I did not look at the header to see the forum this thread is in...my bad.
    I am so hungry to understand table/settings/relationships/parameters that I'm reading what I can get my hands on. I am noticing that even some of the E38 threads reference the LS1 tables or what's related to my 2010 E38, so I do get confused.
    Thanks again...plodding along

joecar...I did read that as well as E38-VVE_1.9-CLR. I was able to get my 2010 LS3 big cam manual 6spd running pretty good in OLSD for a newbie. I did post in Gen IV but I think I made it too complicated.
    Warmed and off idle it screams, such a beast n haven't been brave enough to turn it loose on the highway...but getting there
    The issue killing me now:
    1. cold start(takes 3 or 4 cranks with light pedal press)
    2. will not idle below 1300rpm
    3. touchy pedal...can't hold at 2000-2500 wants to jump to 3000+
    If your interested or anyone, here is the latest tune/log
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456