Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: E67 Tach signal pinout

Just confirmed. We have it set to crank, and the on/off cells set at 10. Which should be enough to at least get a signal. But I still have about 10.5V steady, both Key on and engine running.

Quote Originally Posted by Taz View Post
    Read the tune from the ECM, and post it when you are able. A 2008 TBSS would have been set to PWM from the OEM. Apparently yours was not set this way - so either it has been previously altered, or is not actually a TBSS tune (despite what the VIN may indicate).

Also, the 2008 E67 Tach parameters include "Serial" if using HPT, or "Can Bus" if using EFILive.

Regards,
    Taz
    I'll try and get a copy of the tune. Long story short, a 4x4 shop did this conversion. They had issues with the wiring system and sub let the Jeep to us to fix. The company that sold the conversion is Novak. Basic motor, tranny, harness, PCM "kit". The ECM was tuned by them (or somone tuned it for them) before being shipped out. So yes, it's not a stock tune. I just talked to our tuner and he pulled up the calibration file. It's set to "crank" on/off both at 10. It says in the tune that if any other output is selected besides serial, the out put moves to pin 48. However I don't think thats true on the E67, but is true on the E38. Confused yet? We sure are.

Lifetime Member

You need to post the tune. All else is merely guess work. Tach output set to PWM or Crank, uses the same ECM pin per controller type (E38 or E67). If set to Can Bus, then the Tach output is communicated to the IPC over the GMLAN (Can Bus) network.

I'll check this thread again tomorrow if time permits.

Regards,
    Taz

on the e67 we use J1-25 tach out
    J1-24 pull up, so just connect the 2 pins and go to the tach input. Steve

Tach output set to PWM or Crank, uses the same ECM pin per controller type (E38 or E67).
    I have not seen that to be the case.
    In factory calibrations where the Tach is PWM or Crank the matching wiring diagrams shows J1-25 as the Tacho out, I'm with efiharness on this one.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    I have not seen that to be the case.
    In factory calibrations where the Tach is PWM or Crank the matching wiring diagrams shows J1-25 as the Tacho out, I'm with efiharness on this one.
    Apparently my previous post (#13) only made sense to me. The original poster had wondered if the Tach output pin changed if the calibration setting was altered (i.e. from PWM to Crank). I had attempted to explain the the Tach output pin remains the same (whether using an E38 or E67 ECM) when the calibration is set to PWM or Crank.

In the case of an E38 - the Tach output remains on C1 (Black) pin 48.

In the case of an E67 - the Tach output remains on C1 (Blue) pin 25.

For corroboration of the E67 Tach output - take a look at schematics for a 2007 Trailblazer (set to PWM) and a 2007 CTS-V (set to Crank). Both of these use C1 pin 25.

Regarding Steve's comments about using C1 pin 24 as a pull-up circuit - I will take him at his word. I have never tried this - as in most applicable schematics this pin is listed as "Not used".

Regards,
    Taz

Pin C1-24 has a 2.4k pull up resistor built in so it makes a perfect place to do this (side by side to tach output). Steve

I had attempted to explain the the Tach output pin remains the same (whether using an E38 or E67 ECM) when the calibration is set to PWM or Crank.
    Sorry, I read that as both ECM's use the exact same pin, eg, both used C1, 48.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    Sorry, I read that as both ECM's use the exact same pin, eg, both used C1, 48.
    No worries ... I confuse myself sometimes !

Cheers,
    Taz

Greetings - I've been following and learning a ton over the past year with my build. Still a complete newbie but wanted to confirm Steve's (efiharness) recommendation regarding the e67 C1-24 for pull up. Just dropped a connector in the slot and connected it to C1-25 going to my tach. Works perfectly. I did have to adjust G1202 & G1203 from 15 to 7 to get it dialed in but assuming that varies based on application.

Thanks for all the great information you guys provide.

Steve

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12