Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is SD worth it without the Custom OS?

Default Is SD worth it without the Custom OS?

Is it really worth going to speed density tuning if you don't load the custom OS that lets the computer alter VE's, A/F, and whatever based on IAT's and stuff. (I'm not sure of all the specifics on what can be altered). Just wondering b/c I don't want to go through all the trouble of doing the AutoVE tune, and then a week later the car running like crap b/c the IAT's are warmer and the humidity changed.

Reason I ask, is b/c I don't have commercial ... and I'm out of money
    2001 Black Z28
    TR230 | Jet Hot LT's | RT 7000 Series + 2.5" Ypipe + Hooker Catback | Eibach pro kit | 18x9.5/10.5 Chrome zo6 rims | SLP Bowtie Grille

395 rwhp / 377 rwtq

One model of HSV came from th factory MAFless (Speed Density). I don't think the weather thing is too much of a concern. If you intend to return to Closed Loop fuel mode the LTFT trims will pretty much take car of the weather related changes (if any).

The only thing you will really be missing (aside from the cool things in the custom OS's) is the dual spark maps (high and low octane).

Make the jump
    Andrew
    EFILive Crew

with your mod's, I'd go for it.

I've been running OLSD for about a year. I'm using a V3 OS, but don't utilize the IAT offset's or dual spark maps (yet). The most I've seen my AFR's drift due to weather is ~1%
    Last edited by TAQuickness; August 6th, 2006 at 07:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tordne
    One model of HSV came from th factory MAFless (Speed Density). I don't think the weather thing is too much of a concern. If you intend to return to Closed Loop fuel mode the LTFT trims will pretty much take car of the weather related changes (if any).

The only thing you will really be missing (aside from the cool things in the custom OS's) is the dual spark maps (high and low octane).

Make the jump
    So I'd run into problems if I ran Open Loop SD then? Hell I guess I can always throw it back if I'm not happy with it.
    2001 Black Z28
    TR230 | Jet Hot LT's | RT 7000 Series + 2.5" Ypipe + Hooker Catback | Eibach pro kit | 18x9.5/10.5 Chrome zo6 rims | SLP Bowtie Grille

395 rwhp / 377 rwtq

Quote Originally Posted by TAQuickness
    with your mod's, I go for it.

I've been running OLSD for about a year. I'm using a V3 OS, but don't utilize the IAT offset's or dual spark maps (yet). The most I've seen my AFR's drift due to weather is ~1%
    Ok, thats reassuring. Thanks!
    2001 Black Z28

395 rwhp / 377 rwtq

The other thing that negates the weather is:

Because you have the tool you too will become possessed and will log religiously every drive that you go on from here on in...

Therefore any changes in weather will be caught in the log and changed accordingly in the VE table

LOL (but I'm serious!).
    Andrew
    EFILive Crew

Quote Originally Posted by Tordne
    Therefore any changes in weather will be caught in the log and changed accordingly in the VE table

LOL (but I'm serious!).
    Meaning I'd be constantly updating the tune? lol
    2001 Black Z28

395 rwhp / 377 rwtq

The VE Table cell units are g.K/kPa where the K accounts for intake air temp and kPa accounts for manifold absolute pressure; PCM measures BARO on startup and uses this in VAC calculations, so everything is accounted for...

i.e. if done right, the VE tune will not be affected by [most] weather changes.

Quote Originally Posted by FstBlkZ28
    Meaning I'd be constantly updating the tune? lol
    You do want to get your money's worth from your purchase of EFILive, don't you...

Quote Originally Posted by joecar
    You do want to get your money's worth from your purchase of EFILive, don't you...
    of course!
    2001 Black Z28

395 rwhp / 377 rwtq

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast