Thread: OS Change, Cal size, Full flash?

Default OS Change, Cal size, Full flash?

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    Advantages:
    - single VE table (makes tuning a little easier),
    - a few extra tables,
    - some unlisted GM fixes/corrections,
    - available 4L80E transmission segment,
    - available COS5 (boost/nitrous/alpha-n tables),
    - some extra _DMA pids available (e.g. DYNAIRTMP_DMA).
    - available extra tables for transient fueling, lean cruise (via .cax file).

Disadvantages:
    - you have to manually copy your old tables over to the new file, takes about 2 hours (3 with beer).
    Looking into this for a 2000 LM7 Chevy Silvarado which is 12205612 to 12212156, there's also a 2002 LM7 Silvarado TuneFileDepot so may be a good start/not have to do all table swaps. Seems they are all LS1b but some are 475, 474, 473? Is this an issue?

Since license is to PCM then should be fine to read it and be able to differenth with differant OS?

Full flash? Is there an issue with some vehicles and doing full flash in vehicle? I've read, don't know if true some full flash are better done on bench because of other modules in car trying to connect during this procedure creating a brick?

Just looking for tips before I create a brick...

Those LS1B files are all compatible with the 512KB PCM.

Yes, you can read/write as much as you like, license attaches to PCM serial number (relevant on writing).

F-body is fine with full flash (has hardly any other system on the bus)... but other vehicles have issues (with cal and full flash) due to the other systems might seize the bus during flashing... bench flashing is always the safest... also make sure PCM power and laptop power are both stable.

Using V7 tunetool, LS1B flashing is fairly safe since EFILive has a good recovery algorithm.

Lifetime Member

I was able to recover a P10 using V8, IDK if the recovery algorithm is in there but I killed it with V7.5 and finally tried V8, first flash fixed it.

Yes, Id start with the 02 LM7 file. Id check the VE/IFR/spark tables at a minimum, GM does weird things between some years. Once you have it how you want, plug your FlashScan into your PC then open the tune file in V7.5 and click the full flash button. Or use V8 and select Full Flash instead of Cal Flash.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.