Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vgt calibration

Quote Originally Posted by beav View Post
    Correct, I am not worried about the tuning part as I know EFILive will do that. I had to buy a different actuator motor for the turbo that came with the engine and if it is not installed while meshing the gear teeth in the correct position, then you run the risk of overtravelling to a hard spot and burning up the actuator motor.

Therefore, you are correct ATP, for starters I need to find the "home" positions of both the arm on the turbo cartridge and gear of the motor (when powered) and then mount it. But, does EFILive allow me to "home" the actuator motor?

Otherwise, is it possible to buy/rent starscan or something that will do it?

Anyone in the KY area that can do it for me?

Thanks!
    Alldata has a very well explained service procedure for VGT control replacement. Is there something to know that their procedure does not cover? It does mention a special alignment pin but other than that it's a straight forward install.
    Lee

Reiff Diesel

Thanks for the info Lee. I do not have immediate access to AllData at the moment. When you refer to the alignment pin, is that on the actuator or the turbo cartridge?

Quote Originally Posted by WyoFreeride View Post
    Here's the page from the manual with the 2 procedures.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7740939/EFI...0Procedure.pdf
    Thanks for the instructions. It explains the alignment procedure well, but still leaves me with the calibrations part that I need from the StarScan tool. Just need to find a place to buy/borrow one, I guess.

AllData tells you to use a pin that comes with a service kit, they also give a drill bit size as well if the pin is unavailable. The pin aligns the arm on the cartridge. It also says to turn the actuator gear all the way in one direction before installing the actuator unit.
    Lee

Reiff Diesel

I still have not found the answer to this. Aligning the turbo gear is the easy part and I've got that covered. Let me ask the question in a different way. Can EFILive force commands (via the ECU) to the actuator without the engine running. For example, if I tell it to go to 100% or "x", can I make the actuator motor move without the ECU telling it by its own algorithm interfering.

...hope this is making sense. Sometimes, I have trouble asking questions the right way.

No DVT CONTROLS are not yet available in the current public release. I haven't tried RC1 yet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12