Thread: Will Flash scan pick up Emission failure codes

Lifetime Member

Default Will Flash scan pick up Emission failure codes

I have an 03, 5.3L AWD GMC Van. Changed the B5914 spark and B1901 TQ tables in the Tune and have been using this since Jan. Re-flashed what I thought was the stock tune back to the van. Brought it in for NYS inspection and OS update before warranty runs out.

The Emission failed, OBD readiness status for the Catalyst and Evaporative system : Not Ready.

If for I flashed the modified tune and not the stock tune would this cause that type of problem?

There were now MIL prior to and after the tune re-flash. There was about 7 mile trip to the dealer for the inspection. I thought the re-flash clears all code.

The new OS is in the van, the dealer wants me to put 100 miles on her and bring her back.

If I scan the ECM prior to the re-inspection and there are no codes. It should pass the inspection.

This isn't normal any thought what going on ??

Terry

In some cases all the codes do not get cleared after a reflash. As a safety precaution, use the scan tool afterwards to verify a code free environment.
    www.socaldiesel.com

EFILive-DSP5......Switch your Attitude!
    EFILive-CSP5......The Smart Way To Switch Your Cummins Tunes!
    EFILive-DSP4......Switch Your Colorado and Canyon Too!

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

After a reflash and/or after clearing codes the system readiness tests are all set to incomplete. That means the PCM/vehicle needs to experience the conditions necessary to run those readiness tests. You can see if the tests have been completed or not in the Scan Tool on the [OBDII (F7)] tab page on the [SRT] sub page.
    That lists tells you only whether the tests have been run or not. It does not tell you whther the tests passed or failed.
    If the tests are complete and failed, then DTC's will be set to indicate the failure(s) and you will fail* your emissions test. If the tests are complete and passed then no DTC's will be set and you will pass your emissions test.

* Fail can mean different things to different model-years. Earlier models were allowed 2 incomplete tests, later models only 1 incomplete test and current models 0 incomplete tests to pass emissions.

To speed up each tests' completion you should try to follow the GM drive cycle explained in Appendix F of the EFILive Scan Tool manual.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Lifetime Member

Guy and Paul

Thanks for reply.
    I see that the GM drive cicle might have been the problem to the issue.
    Most of do the following did not have a chance do do there cycle.

Live and learn.
    Terry