Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Diesel tuning restrictions for USA customers

Quote Originally Posted by catman3126 View Post
    will we still be able to buy a stream licence for a non updated 211 build V2? for say an LMM/LBZ?
    Yes absolutely, nothing changes there, all licenses and streams are still valid regardless if they were purchased 4 years ago or next year.
    I'll try to summarise in point form a few key things in the original post.
    Last edited by GMPX; December 11th, 2012 at 06:59 PM.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Lifetime Member

thankyou sounds like you are trying to do right by us and i thankyou for that.
    2015 3500HD crew cab long bed, 6" fabtech, slightly tuned, emissions intact.
    2005 dmax ccsb, EFI live tuned DSP 5 Full built motor, S471 billet single, More better built trans this time. and lots of other things.
    1984 CJ7 powered by a 2000 LS1. 4L60E.
    2012 Jetta TDI 6 speed manual, (yes the dirty the bastard haha)
    2003 Jetta TDI,
    1986 K10 LQ4/4L80E

Default Diesel tuning restrictions for USA customers

Heres one for you I live in Canada.

Say I buy tunes from a tuner that is in the USA. If I open the tune (not locked) on my computer can I make the changes for the DPF/EGR to the tune and save it?
    2008 2500HD 4X4 LTZ Z71 6.6L LMM
    Mods: EFILive, MBRP 4" DPF Delete, BD Manifold, SD Manifold, SD Center Link, SD Sleeves, S&B Intake, FS-2500, PPE Trans Pan, Bushwacker fender flares, PPE Oil Centrifuge, And other non-go-fast things.

Things still need to put in: PCV Re-Route,Air Dog AD-200.

Yes, because you are in Canada, until the US EPA is able to enforce their laws on you guys then you will have no restrictions (maybe they already can? I don't know).
    A tune file created in the USA is not 'infected' with the restrictions, the tune file is the same on any computer no matter where it's located. Unfortunately this does mean that USA tuners selling mail order tunes outside of the USA will need to give the end user (out of country) access to the tune if they plan on messing with any DPF related items.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Default Diesel tuning restrictions for USA customers

Lol thank you. I was not sure if it would have been looked into a tune once it was made in the USA.

Thanks.
    2008 2500HD 4X4 LTZ Z71 6.6L LMM
    Mods: EFILive, MBRP 4" DPF Delete, BD Manifold, SD Manifold, SD Center Link, SD Sleeves, S&B Intake, FS-2500, PPE Trans Pan, Bushwacker fender flares, PPE Oil Centrifuge, And other non-go-fast things.

Things still need to put in: PCV Re-Route,Air Dog AD-200.

Question

If a person in the US sends me a tune file, I can edit whatever I want and then send it back to him for flashing. All my updates will get flashed in since they are stored in the file... he just can't make any further changes to the region locked parameters without my help. Correct?

Ok, so that falls in to the same category of bypassing region protected DVD's.
    Say you want to buy the 'Larry The Cable Guy - Git-R-Done' DVD from Amazon USA, it's a Region 1 DVD, but you live in Region 2 so it won't play. So you ask your friend in the USA to make a copy of it and change it to Region 2 and then send it over. Obviously Amazon and whoever owns the distribution rights to that DVD have no control over that. What I am trying to say is that we have implemented a system that we feel is going to stop DPF systems being bypassed in the ECM for USA based customers, if people try to figure out a method around our restriction then we certainly aren't going to be involved in guiding them because at that point they are guilty of software hacking.
    Last edited by GMPX; December 11th, 2012 at 07:06 PM.

I was also waiting for this to come, it was just a matter of time. I also hate to say, just like the region specific coding on DVD's, I give it about a month before the region coding is figured out on EFI Live and this will be a moot point......
    Also, I am sure that the moderaters will be busy locking/deleting threads pertaining to this just like they are on other forums. If you need someone to blame, blame the idiot smoking out intersections and four lanes of traffic in your city's downtown!
    Just my $.02, please don't ask for change!

Mike
    Current toys are as follows:
    1961 Chevrolet Corvair Monza, 145 H6/powerglide. 85 HP of raw fury.... slow and stock and staying that way!
    1969 GMC 2500, 4-53T Detroit diesel/Fuller 10 speed on late model 1500 HD frame
    1970 GMC 9500, 6-71 Detroit/Fuller 13 speed, not sure why I bought it, but it sure is noisy!!!
    1975 Ford F100 shortbed. Currently undergoing Crown Vic subframe swap and EFI 4.6!!!
    1975 Chevrolet Vega, 5.3/200-4R may finish someday, maybe...

Default Re: Diesel tuning restrictions for USA customers

Will this affect your development for new ECMs (ie CM2200) that aren't supported yet? Will the emissions stuff be addressed on those new ECMs for areas outside the US still?
    2010 Dodge QCSB 6.7 Auto

Quote Originally Posted by jmaz2689 View Post
    Thanks, that should be plenty of time for everyone to bury a copy of the software in the backyard for future use.

Also, Say in a year my V2 gets broken or misplaced and I have to buy a new one or have it fixed by you guys.

Will the new one be on the bootblock/firmware version that is incompatible with Emissions related deletes?
    This is what horrifies me....

I have duramax stream licenses, cummins tuning license, etc... So basically my V2 is "worth" a lot more than most of the V2's out there....so yes I do take extra special care of it and try not to let it out of my sight.

BUT!!!! God forbid, the thing breaks or something and I have to have it fixed (and then I send it to be fixed, and then you guys put the latest firmware/boot block on it).....would it be possible to downgrade the firmware/boot block on the V2 to the old version that still works with Build 211 tuning tool???

thats what scares me....I can deal with running Build 211 forever (I only tune very few cummins's, so not getting access to CSP5 isnt the end of the world for me), what if the above scenario happens (V2 breaks or something) and Im "forced" into updating firmware/boot block????

Ben
    2005 Silverado, CC/SB, 4x4, LT, LILLY/Allison
    12.9s @ 108 mph

many thanks to Ross and Paul

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast