Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Diesel tuning restrictions for USA customers

You guys should quit asking questions about how to beat the system, they clearly can't answer them and you are just bringing light to potential loop holes that will have to be investigated outside of EFI Live for RACE applications only.
    Tony - 09 LMM

Quote Originally Posted by THEFERMANATOR View Post
    How will this apply to vehicles such as designated race trucks that are not required to have a DPF and are not registered in any way for road useage? What about for retrofits of putting a newer diesel into an older body style that is emissions exempt, or the DPF is not required for the older truck to meet it's emssions output(like my SUBURBAN which meets all emssions criteria for 95 without any of this equipment)? Just curious if this will affect all USA customers even the ones who can LEGALLY remove the emissions equipment for there intended purposes.
    As I understand the law, when upgraded an engine you must install the emissions equipment that the engine was certified with. Therefore if you install an LMM into your Suburban you legally are supposed to install a DPF on your Suburban irrelevant of the chassis age.
    Tony - 09 LMM

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    4th gen F-body VIN's start with "2" which means Canada... so my guess is it can't be VIN based;

but regardless, we should feel privileged that the EPA still lets us drive vehicles (instead of horses or goats).
    Well, that shows what I know.

Default Re: Diesel tuning restrictions for USA customers

I am glad for the transparency into this process, as well as the warning time we got. I am sad that this has to happen, but the US EPA is to blame, not EFI. They are just trying to protect themselves and their product, since the EPA has decided that "off road only" warnings and waivers don't cut it anymore, and they will go after the tool provider, not the too "abuser".

It seems EFI has taken the most reasonable action to this problem that they could, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by TDFDiesel View Post
    As I understand the law, when upgraded an engine you must install the emissions equipment that the engine was certified with. Therefore if you install an LMM into your Suburban you legally are supposed to install a DPF on your Suburban irrelevant of the chassis age.
    I believe this depends on your state.
    Some diesels, some gassers... EFILive all the things!
    EFILive + RoadRunner = AWESOME!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TDFDiesel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DAVe3283 View Post
    I believe this depends on your state.
    And sometimes the age and useage of a vehicle. Use the truck that they were building on GEARZ with a DURAMAX, I highly doubt anywhere would require it go through emissions quite simply due to it's age. Yes some states require you to use the emissions equipment that your donor engine came with, and the engine must be newer than the engine it was replacing. That was one of the reasons I chose an LB7 as it had no CAT which meant LEGALLY I could remove my cat converter from my BURB that it came with stock. there is alot of grey area in engine swaps which was one of the nice things about EFILIVE that gave us great flexibility to work within the rules. As they say, all good things must come to an end, and this one is no different. MAYBE, just MAYBE we can open some peoples eyes to the fact that going out and rolling coal isn't cool anymore and is simply drawing attention to a matter that shouldn't be.
    1995 GMC 2500 SUBURBAN powered by 01 DURAMAX/ALLISON, little of this, a little of that,
    DIAMONDEYE 4" exhaust, CORSA muffler, AFE stage 1 dry filter, custom tuning by me, KENNEDY single pump and pump rub kit.

Quote Originally Posted by THEFERMANATOR View Post
    And sometimes the age and useage of a vehicle. Use the truck that they were building on GEARZ with a DURAMAX, I highly doubt anywhere would require it go through emissions quite simply due to it's age. Yes some states require you to use the emissions equipment that your donor engine came with, and the engine must be newer than the engine it was replacing. That was one of the reasons I chose an LB7 as it had no CAT which meant LEGALLY I could remove my cat converter from my BURB that it came with stock. there is alot of grey area in engine swaps which was one of the nice things about EFILIVE that gave us great flexibility to work within the rules. As they say, all good things must come to an end, and this one is no different. MAYBE, just MAYBE we can open some peoples eyes to the fact that going out and rolling coal isn't cool anymore and is simply drawing attention to a matter that shouldn't be.
    Could not agree more with this statement

Quote Originally Posted by WyoFreeride View Post
    x3

I'd hate to lose EFI Live all together if the EPA decided to ban import of the V2, hosing up both the diesel and gas tuning for everyone. .
    Unfortunately, I was thinking the same thing............
    There would still be back door ways into the country, still wouldn't be a huge deal. Just would have to import it from Canada. Just another step and more money, but well worth the cost!

Mike
    Current toys are as follows:
    1961 Chevrolet Corvair Monza, 145 H6/powerglide. 85 HP of raw fury.... slow and stock and staying that way!
    1969 GMC 2500, 4-53T Detroit diesel/Fuller 10 speed on late model 1500 HD frame
    1970 GMC 9500, 6-71 Detroit/Fuller 13 speed, not sure why I bought it, but it sure is noisy!!!
    1975 Ford F100 shortbed. Currently undergoing Crown Vic subframe swap and EFI 4.6!!!
    1975 Chevrolet Vega, 5.3/200-4R may finish someday, maybe...

Well I can say I have been sprayed by the black soot while on the motorcycle, not cool, but hate any kind of enforced restrictions by the EPA.
    2005 1500 HD , Custom OS3 SD tune .
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

If you have a tuned 6.7 truck (deleted) and update everything, will you loose the deletes on that truck?

Tobin
    2006 Ram 2500 5.9 Cummins 48RE
    2008 6.7 Cummins swap in 1997 Ford F250 + 4R100 with PCS Control

Lifetime Member

Default Diesel tuning restrictions for USA customers

Thank you EFI for being open about removal of functionality instead of surprising us. Maybe one day we Americans can get our EPA back in check.

I just want to verify that any tune already with the deletes in place will not revert with the updates and all we are losing is the ability to disable the dpf regenerative system? I know this was discussed but I didn't see an actual answer. I apologize if I missed it.
    14 GMC Sierra
    5.3L CC SB 4x4
    Basic tuning....

Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast