Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Diesel tuning restrictions for USA customers

How will this apply to vehicles such as designated race trucks that are not required to have a DPF and are not registered in any way for road useage? What about for retrofits of putting a newer diesel into an older body style that is emissions exempt, or the DPF is not required for the older truck to meet it's emssions output(like my SUBURBAN which meets all emssions criteria for 95 without any of this equipment)? Just curious if this will affect all USA customers even the ones who can LEGALLY remove the emissions equipment for there intended purposes.
    1995 GMC 2500 SUBURBAN powered by 01 DURAMAX/ALLISON, little of this, a little of that,
    DIAMONDEYE 4" exhaust, CORSA muffler, AFE stage 1 dry filter, custom tuning by me, KENNEDY single pump and pump rub kit.

Lifetime Member

what if a person who has efi live in the USA has had enough of this epa stuff and decides to move to a country that does not have restrictions like the USA can this person get their efi live registers in a different country to be able to re-enable the deletion section?
    2015 3500HD crew cab long bed, 6" fabtech, slightly tuned, emissions intact.
    2005 dmax ccsb, EFI live tuned DSP 5 Full built motor, S471 billet single, More better built trans this time. and lots of other things.
    1984 CJ7 powered by a 2000 LS1. 4L60E.
    2012 Jetta TDI 6 speed manual, (yes the dirty the bastard haha)
    2003 Jetta TDI,
    1986 K10 LQ4/4L80E

Quote Originally Posted by catman3126 View Post
    HMM so if theres only one download how will it be different for what region we live in?

I would guess it will be because of where each individual has registered their V2's and there will be programming in the update that will recognize the loacation of registration and makes its so the deletetion ability will not be in the update? also so if we don't update to the new software will we be able to still buy licences? thanks for the information.
    Obviously we aren't about to explain how we have region specific restrictions in place, but it has nothing to do with your V2's, so ordering a new V2 from outside of the USA and registering it with EFILive from Paris, France won't magically open things up for you if you are still tuning in the USA. We also didn't want to be generating individual install packages based on peoples location, that would be ridiculous, not only that, non USA versions would be up on torrent sites the moment they were released.

Quote Originally Posted by rennat_2006 View Post
    I know this is the diesel section but also curious about the gassers since im using mine for LS Swaps into muscle cars if they will be any changes with them?
    Currently there is no plans to restrict any functions from the LS side of things. There is a very different mindset with the gas side of tuning though, the people who are going to the trouble of fitting an LS motor in to an old car probably do so because they are wanting to make good clean power, maybe even run it on E85, just like a 2010 Silverado gasser would. The legalities of doing this probably varies state by state in the US, so you probably need to investigate that yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by cumminsDK View Post
    How will we continue to support customers whose trucks are already deleted and no longer own a Dpf?
    The changes will not affect existing tunes, we can't wind back or undo what has already been done to a file prior to this new update.

Quote Originally Posted by z79outlaw View Post
    Are we going to lose more features and support in the future?
    Unfortunately we are not in a position to answer that with any certainty, we aren't the rule makers on this one, we've decided to try to play ball like everyone else has.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    Obviously we aren't about to explain how we have region specific restrictions in place, but it has nothing to do with your V2's, so ordering a new V2 from outside of the USA and registering it with EFILive from Paris, France won't magically open things up for you if you are still tuning in the USA. We also didn't want to be generating individual install packages based on peoples location, that would be ridiculous, not only that, non USA versions would be up on torrent sites the moment they were released.
    alright good, so...reading between the lines...if we just decide to keep Tuning tool build 211 "forever", but say we upgrade the boot block or firmware in our V2 at some point, we wont be screwing ourselves/shooting ourselves in the foot, if you understand what I mean Ross?

Ben
    2005 Silverado, CC/SB, 4x4, LT, LILLY/Allison
    12.9s @ 108 mph

many thanks to Ross and Paul

Thanks for the fast reply, I should have been more specific will my deleted 6.7 customers continue to have to deal with dinging?

Lifetime Member

Thankyou for some answers and everyone please try to keep this a clean thread and please don't bash or question EFI Lives decisions, just because we won't be able to do deletions on diesel doesn't mean this thi sis a useful tool for many other avenues. I for one believe that I will focus more on my first love and that would be performance gasoline engines. i have done an LS swap into my CJ7 and have enjoyed it more then the diesel side of things due to the cost of the diesel side of things and will continue to use this great product to fulfill my need for horsepower lol. I can go just as fast if not faster with a gas engine and for alot cheaper.
    2015 3500HD crew cab long bed, 6" fabtech, slightly tuned, emissions intact.
    2005 dmax ccsb, EFI live tuned DSP 5 Full built motor, S471 billet single, More better built trans this time. and lots of other things.
    1984 CJ7 powered by a 2000 LS1. 4L60E.
    2012 Jetta TDI 6 speed manual, (yes the dirty the bastard haha)
    2003 Jetta TDI,
    1986 K10 LQ4/4L80E

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    Currently there is no plans to restrict any functions from the LS side of things. There is a very different mindset with the gas side of tuning though, the people who are going to the trouble of fitting an LS motor in to an old car probably do so because they are wanting to make good clean power, maybe even run it on E85, just like a 2010 Silverado gasser would. The legalities of doing this probably varies state by state in the US, so you probably need to investigate that yourself.
    And what about people like myself that retrofit in a newer diesel into an older truck where the newer diesel even without the emissions equipment is still cleaner? I'm not trying to argue here, but the reasoning is splitting hairs to me. I still don't see why you have changed your stance on this matter all of a sudden from the last time when HPTUNERS removed the function? The burden should be on the end user, which is why I thought the disclaimer was there before you could do a flash.
    1995 GMC 2500 SUBURBAN powered by 01 DURAMAX/ALLISON, little of this, a little of that,
    DIAMONDEYE 4" exhaust, CORSA muffler, AFE stage 1 dry filter, custom tuning by me, KENNEDY single pump and pump rub kit.

Will this include EGR or is only going to effect the DPF system?

03 Silverado 5.3 ECSB 4x4 Z71
    Comp Cam 206/212 .515/.522 112 lSA, hardened rods with LS9 springs

2010 Tahoe VVT AFM 5.3
    Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by THEFERMANATOR View Post
    How will this apply to vehicles such as designated race trucks that are not required to have a DPF and are not registered in any way for road useage? What about for retrofits of putting a newer diesel into an older body style that is emissions exempt, or the DPF is not required for the older truck to meet it's emssions output(like my SUBURBAN which meets all emssions criteria for 95 without any of this equipment)? Just curious if this will affect all USA customers even the ones who can LEGALLY remove the emissions equipment for there intended purposes.
    And what about people like myself that retrofit in a newer diesel into an older truck where the newer diesel even without the emissions equipment is still cleaner? I'm not trying to argue here, but the reasoning is splitting hairs to me. I still don't see why you have changed your stance on this matter all of a sudden from the last time when HPTUNERS removed the function? The burden should be on the end user, which is why I thought the disclaimer was there before you could do a flash.
    Yes what about this????

Quote Originally Posted by DURAtotheMAX View Post
    If we are content with what we already have as far as tables/features/etc....can we just keep the current version to retain EGR/DPF modification ability? (build 211)
    Absolutely, this is not a forced or surprise attack update, if you are happy tuning with what you have now then avoid future updates. However, there is of course CSP5 coming soon, so you would miss out on that.

Quote Originally Posted by DURAtotheMAX View Post
    Or is there going to be some block in there so all USA people will *have* to update and be forced to give up EGR/DPF parameters?
    No updates will be enforced, no features will be crippled on older versions, but with firmware and software being interlinked you can't go back once you've updated.

And this is where we hit a brick wall I'm sorry to say because we have no solution for genuine cases like this. I'm just throwing this out there as food for thought as a potential solution long term.
    Here in Australia there is companies that convert vehicles from Left Hand Drive to Right Hand Drive. Our laws state that if a car is less than 25 years old and you want to drive it on the road then it must be converted to RHD. These conversion companies have to go through an engineering approval process, so once they've done a car that meets the authorities standards they are free to convert as many cars as they need without further approval.
    Perhaps in the case of genuine race trucks, engine swap companies etc there might need to be a system in place where you can apply to the authorities for exemptions?

Quote Originally Posted by catman3126 View Post
    what if a person who has efi live in the USA has had enough of this epa stuff and decides to move to a country that does not have restrictions like the USA can this person get their efi live registers in a different country to be able to re-enable the deletion section?
    Sort of, yes, no, maybe. Again, I'm not really going to divulge on how this works.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast