Thread: newb with many questions

Default newb with many questions

Hello, my name is Vernon. I'm new to efi live. (been into diesels for about a year). I currently own a 2006 dodge ram 2500 megacab. My end goal with truck is 11.99 et's. So I bought efi to start learning how to tune my truck. (i had it tuned on efi by someone else and was unhappy with drivability and customer service... made power put thats it...) So here I am. I have many of the basics done. (trans built, exergy injectors (50% now will be going to 100% soon) lift pump etc etc...) Before I start spending more money on twin pumps, big turbo etc... I want to know efi like the back of my hand. I will be going to starlite's efi school in feb. in zainsville ohio. So enough about me on to the questions

When I log my truck and I play it back, why cant I mouse of a spot of the log and see the value when I pause it?

I have not done anything with tuning yet I have only adjusted things like tire revs per mile, shut off some dtcs etc... so no tuning has been done.

Where can I start learning what table to adjust and by how much etc? don't what the numbers given to me just want the info to learn what numbers my truck needs wants etc...

Thanks for the help!!

First off, you're on the right track attending Zach's class. Second, where ever you pause the log, it'll show the values at that frame and only that frame. If you want to see high/low and average values, click drag and highlight the section you want to investigate.
    Thirdly, EVERYBODY always wants to know the min and max limits as well as targeted values in tables. That takes knowledge acquired by experience because no two setups are the same and will take knowledge to adjust for it. Sorry if that sounds rude, but it's honestly the truth. There are however threads on this and other forums about what people generally tend to run on THEIR setups. By researching that, and playing with your truck, you'll be able to exponentially be on your way of being able to ask key questions and have a well rounded truck.
    Myself, I can tune my rig alright..but being able to get that oh so sweet feeling of driving a great tuned rig that can run in any situation, whether it be at the track, daily driving, and of towing, sometimes it'll pay to develop a good relationship with a good tuner. That will also help you in learning to tune as well. Happy tuning!
    06 5.9L, EFILive / Silver Bullet Tuning
    06 LBZ, EFILive

Also, you don't really have to "play" the log... you just display it and move the cursor over it, wherever the cursor stops you will see the pid values at the cursor position displayed on the chart edges;

and as FUBAR said, click/drag the cursor to highlight a section of the log, at the chart edges you will see the max/min/avg of the highlighted section for each pid.

Thanks for the reply's. I worded my last question wrong.

When you guys are looking at your logs what tells you the truck likes this or that. I came from the gas world where you look for knock and watch a/f ratios dynoing and watching how timing changes power output etc... to get an idea of what the car wants. On this diesel the only thing I can watch is rail pressure and confirm it holds whats being commanded and duration is the same correct? What formulas are out there to determine the limits of both duration and timing. what will show its face in a log that shows the truck doesnt like it other than feel? Also on stop turbo vehicles are you guys setting the wastegate closed all the time to provide max airflow? Hope these questions are more specific?... Thanks again
    Last edited by slasorv; December 14th, 2012 at 10:48 AM.

[QUOTE=slasorv;182464What formulas are out there to determine the limits of both duration and timing. what will show its face in a log that shows the truck doesnt like it other than feel?[/QUOTE]

Limit of duration is how much your pump can support and to the point how much heat you can withstand. Timing limit is based on duration and rpm's. And you (or hope you have) external gauges that monitor egt's, total boost pressure (if you're making more than the MAP sensors limit) drive pressure, etc. watching and logging all the data and using knowledge will tell you what the truck wants.
    06 LBZ, EFILive

Quote Originally Posted by FUBAR View Post
    Limit of duration is how much your pump can support and to the point how much heat you can withstand. Timing limit is based on duration and rpm's. And you (or hope you have) external gauges that monitor egt's, total boost pressure (if you're making more than the MAP sensors limit) drive pressure, etc. watching and logging all the data and using knowledge will tell you what the truck wants.
    I have all the gauges. so would you start bumping duration say 10% at a time until commanded rail pressure falls off to find the limit of duration at a given egt? As far as timing when do I know Im outside of the timing window at any given rpm? the tune I had from another efi tuner was boosting pressure to 50psi with no dtcs... sorry for all the questions...

You're on the right track. I forgot off the top of my head what our MAP sensor tops out at. And yes, you can push all the boost you want without setting off lamps because the over boost codes can be manually disabled.
    06 LBZ, EFILive