Thread: Duramax brains on another engine Frankenstein type setup

Default Duramax brains on another engine Frankenstein type setup

anyone know if it would be possible to take the wiring harness, ECM, etc and make it work on another engine? not that it would be practical but more of a theoretical exercise

lets say one has an engine like a 8 cylinder Caterpillar or another v8, a machine shop and money burning a hole in his wallet. could the heads be machined (or made from billet) to except some CR injectors, a CP3 pump (or two) and some rails added. i know there will be some sensors like the crank position that may need adapting. then attach the wiring harness and ECM and go

it would probably be a harness and ECM from a marine setup.

i guess one would have to pay particular attention to the firing order of the engine and calibrate the pulse width and timing. it seem to me that the hardest part would be getting some high pressure common rail injectors into the engine.

does this sound possible and if so what kind of advantages would we guess at. quickly tunable from a laptop, high pressure injection, efficiency, throttle response, huge HP...

i would like to see this done to some large engine in a pulling rig with some 500 over injectors that produces 5000+ HP and call it a duramax CAT
    2008 Chevrolet 3500HD DRW LTZ
    285/75/17 Nitto Dura Grapplers, 4.56 gears, Front and rear ARB lockers, Efi Live tuning by me, Raptor 160 LP, Cognito 4-6 NTB Lift, 4" Exhaust, Built Trans by Mike L.

Sold - 2004 LB7 Duramax, EFI Live with DSP5 Tune
    stage 4 SC transmission, 265/70/16 tires

Lifetime Member

In theory - the answer is of course yes.

Practically - as you said, biggest key would be getting the fuel pump / injectors and speed timing wheels to work. Speed timing wheels "should" be kinda easy as long as you have a good machine shop and a Duramax to copy. BTW - I've heard that the LB7 and LLY's have one type of speed timing wheel, while the LBZ / LMM have a different kind.

Oh and from another practical stand point, Cat hasn't made a V8 in years (new production type engine). This brings up another must have - must be even firing V8. Otherwise, if your going big, you could always use the Cummins tuning and one of the Cummins ECM's for an I6 ...

that is kind of like what i was thinking. the biggest point would be to have huge reliable HP and EFI live tunability.

i like your idea of the cummins inline 6 brains from say the 6.7L. there seams to be a lot more I6 engines available.

so if one was to use two LLY injectors per a cylender wired in series and used the LB7 ECM/FCIM, two 48v LLY injectors = 96v, then you could get some serous fueling as long as the pumps could keep up. 16 injectors on one engine
    2008 Chevrolet 3500HD DRW LTZ
    285/75/17 Nitto Dura Grapplers, 4.56 gears, Front and rear ARB lockers, Efi Live tuning by me, Raptor 160 LP, Cognito 4-6 NTB Lift, 4" Exhaust, Built Trans by Mike L.

Sold - 2004 LB7 Duramax, EFI Live with DSP5 Tune
    stage 4 SC transmission, 265/70/16 tires