Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vortec Calc VET Auto Tune, Final Answer!

Default Vortec Calc VET Auto Tune, Final Answer!

Ok, I am bound and determined to do this with 98-00 vortec. In other threads guys have said they did it. But I can't figure how. I've put a lot of time into it with failure. Ended up doing it the old way and spreadsheets... Have done it on other engines by working with available tutorials.

With all the excellent help here I'm sure I can come up with a Tutorial. Biggest issue right now with available tutorials is missing PIDS. Have the calc_pids.txt installed from one of the tutorials. I do have a Wide Band but would also like to do one without. So 2 tutorials, actually they could mirro what is there but work for the Vortec.

From another thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    Not sure how guys earlier in this thread did the Auto VE or VE Calc? Done both of them on other engines, just can't validate the PIDS needed for this 98 Vortec engine? No commanded AFR or EQ Ratio? Could the Scan Tool be missing stuff?
    So do I have an issue? Or where to start if these PIDS are not available in the Vortec PCM?
    Last edited by joecar; October 29th, 2013 at 09:19 PM. Reason: corrected title: "VET"

Trying to duplicate the Calc VE tutorial or the web version with a twist located here:
    http://forum.efilive.com/showthread....able&styleid=6

These are the PIDS reqired in the thread.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PIDS-Tutorial.jpg 
Views:	280 
Size:	100.4 KB 
ID:	14347

These are what I have available showing ones that are not valid.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PID=Available.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	120.4 KB 
ID:	14346

Couple things are missing and a couple I think can be changed?

1. Retard do to Knock GM.KR to Knock Retard (Vortec) GM.KNKRET_B ? This is a suggested and not required.
    2. Mass Air Flow raw Frequency MAFFREG change to Mass Air Flow raw Frequency MAFFREG2 ?
    3. Dynamic Air Temp GM.DYNAIRTMP_DMA to Dynamic Air Tempreture Calc.DAT ?
    4. Air Flow Grams/Cyl GM.CYLAIR_DMA to Air Mass Per Cylinder CALC.CYLAIR ?

I haven't found anything possibly suitable for:
    1. Air Flow Grams/Cyl - Speed Density GM.DYNCYLAIR_DMA
    2. Equivalence Ration GM.EQIVRATIO The only possible one that I thought should work does not validate, it is Commanded Equivalency Ratio SAE.LAMBDA Not sure why a SAE does not work?
    Last edited by EagleMark; January 8th, 2013 at 05:49 AM.

If you can find alternate working pids then the calc pids for WO2BEN, VET and/or MAFT can be edited to achieve suitable tuning...

MAFFREQ2 can be used in place of MAFFREQ.
    DAT can be estimated by using B4901 lookup or some form of IAT/ECT blending.
    CYLAIR may or may not be necessary.
    Some working commanded fuel pid is required (be it AFR, EQIVRATIO, LAMBDA, other).

If the pids do not validate, they are still ok as long as they log sensible values.

( this is the beauty of the EFILive scantool, it is very easy [for me, at least] to edit the calc pids )

I'd really like to tap your expertise for the calc_pids.txt file. I am comfortable with doing that type of code when the time comes. Then I would have to save original if I wanted to work on something else, correct?

But right now I've found the issue that has plagued this from the beginning. Just could not understand why EFI Live can not find a valid PID for Commanded AFR, it's the same issue in my other thread that started with the LC-1 WB.

My scan tool can find AFR, ScanXLPro can find AFR. It is GM.AFR but that does not work in EFI Live, not valid and even if you choose it data is N/A. What's worse is GM.AFR_B for the LS2 does validate and shows good data! So which one is wrong and does GM.AFR_B work correctly in LS2 ?

You have to rename the original file.

Also note that when editing calc_pids.txt you must ensure there are at least two blank lines at the end of file.

I think in your case the correct pid to use is GM.AFR_B, it is intended for the LS2... post some logs of this.

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    You have to rename the original file.
    That's what I have been doing, I have several now, but in the end only one can be used by the software and it must be calc_pids.txt correct?

Here is one you did AFR Calc viewing in that I added three from the Calc VE Tuning tutorial. See if I got it correct?
    Attached Files Attached Files

This started as an attempt to mirror WeathermanShawn's work. RIP! I can't compete and have much more to learn. But if you or others are willing to help, I will continue to make this work. It's just looking harder as I work out details. It may be completly differant.

If there is another route, I'm all ears... in another thread guys said they did this, I assume it was with the 98-00 Vortec as that is what the thread was titled for and section it was in. But the more I dive in the more I wonder how?
    Last edited by EagleMark; January 8th, 2013 at 02:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    I think in your case the correct pid to use is GM.AFR_B, it is intended for the LS2... post some logs of this.
    I disagree, I think theres a glitch? But for now it is the route I'm going to follow because the data is accurate.

I will get some sample specific logs. Since my .tun is set Stoich 14.2 and the data says 14.2, I think a good test would be to set Stoich back to 14.7 and check data.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    This started as an attempt to mirror WeathermanShawn's work. RIP! I can't compete and have much more to learn. But if you or others are willing to help, I will continue to make this work. It's just looking harder as I work out details. It may be completly differant.

If there is another route, I'm all ears... in another thread guys said they did this, I assume it was with the 98-00 Vortec as that is what the thread was titled for and section it was in. But the more I dive in the more I wonder how?
    Can you post a link to this other thread you are describing?
    1997 S10, 06 trailblazer SS LS2 swap, 4L70E trans, 76mm turbo. Factory ZQ8 suspension. 3.08, G80 w/a zexel. With a 0411 swap.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast