Thread: VIN change in engine transplants

Default VIN change in engine transplants

General question to engine transplants to other vehicles.

Does the scanner look at VIN for PIDS?

If VIN is changed to transplant vehicle VIN which is not even close to what engine and trans came out of, what happens to scanner? Or scan tool if not using EFI Live scantool? Say a person is on the road and needs service?

I think it does not matter with scanners. It's mostly for programming.
    '12 Caprice PPV 6.0 L77 - daily transportation
    8.7 @ 84 (1/8 mile) bolt-ons

'02 Silverado RCSB 5.3 L59 - regularly street driven
    8.2 @ 86 (1/8 mile) stock cam and spray
    8.6 @ 84 (1/8 mile) cam and heads no spray

Our YOUTUBE CHANNEL featuring the Silverado

What about other scantools like say Snap On? Something that a person may bump into on a road trip?

Was told that HPT would not work if VIN was wrong for the OS, or year make, model?

The VIN is used by the scantool to remember PID's, but, it does not matter what it actually is.
    Same for the programming, in fact the VIN does not matter at all because we don't license by vehicle type like HPT. The VIN can be blank and EFILive will still program and license it ok. Also, in the case where you have an ECM and TCM (say E38 & T42), the VIN does not need to be the same on both controllers with EFILive.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

That answers if using the EFI Live scantool.

But my question was directed towards non tuning software scan tools found at dealerships and auto shops. Example: Customer is on road trip and CEL comes on so he pulls into a auto shop using a Snap On Vantage or Solus or and other brand for that matter like a Tech 2 at dealer. Do some or all scan tools use the VIN to connect or identify PIDS or?

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    What about other scantools like say Snap On? Something that a person may bump into on a road trip?

Was told that HPT would not work if VIN was wrong for the OS, or year make, model?
    HPT does have issues with VIN/OS mismatch and EFI COS's. The last time I tried logging a EFI COS with HPT not all the PIDS wouldn't work right. I have been meaning to try it again but I always think about it once Im done. I'll try to remember to try it next week.

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    That answers if using the EFI Live scantool.

But my question was directed towards non tuning software scan tools found at dealerships and auto shops. Example: Customer is on road trip and CEL comes on so he pulls into a auto shop using a Snap On Vantage or Solus or and other brand for that matter like a Tech 2 at dealer. Do some or all scan tools use the VIN to connect or identify PIDS or?
    The times / ways I've tried this it worked perfectly fine with EFILive Mark. I don't recall the exact brand of scan tool or vehicle but it's usually Snap-On, I don't think it matters anyway. As long as you 'build' the vehicle correctly in the scan tool you are using and select parameters that are valid for that controller, VIN does not seem to bother (unless working on theft modules or some BCM functions I suppose).

Also, to answer your question more specifically, most scan tools I've worked with lately - such as the Isuzu IDSS and many others - give you the option to 'auto-connect' OR type in the VIN manually. Hope that helps!
    '12 Caprice PPV 6.0 L77 - daily transportation
    8.7 @ 84 (1/8 mile) bolt-ons

'02 Silverado RCSB 5.3 L59 - regularly street driven
    8.2 @ 86 (1/8 mile) stock cam and spray
    8.6 @ 84 (1/8 mile) cam and heads no spray

Our YOUTUBE CHANNEL featuring the Silverado

Quote Originally Posted by Boost View Post
    Hope that helps!