Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to use EFIlive to debug a flashing 'service engine soon' light.

That's only an 8% spread, so compression is ok... what about leakdown...?

Are you losing coolant...?

What is fuel rail pressure...?

Do plug wires and coils pass the dark test (external arcing when viewed in darkness)...?

Does MAP follow vacuum hand pump (while viewing on scantool)...?

Does TP follow throttle movement (while viewing on scantool)...?

What are LTFT''s and wideband AFR when problem occurs...?
    Do you have a log file...?

Lifetime Member

I will check those next. I did find one spark plug resistance at 7.3K Ohms. The rest were at or a little below 5K Ohms.

Lifetime Member

Leakdown test produced between 4-7% and one 9%. I read that under 10% is acceptable. Did I do it right? I set compressor to 110psi, went through a regulator set to 100psi on the gauge after it and hooked to cylinder at TDC and recorded the psi drop. most dropped to 94. unplugged it from cylinder at it rose back to 100. The harbor freight leak down tester was very flaky so I had to do it this way.

Fuel pump primes up to 60 then drops to 55 with key on. While running, it reads 49-50 psi.

Not losing coolant.

I see no arcing, but when I had the coil wire disconnected and moved away I was cranking the engine and coil was arcing to the heater hose (arcing to rubber?) which was pushed right up against the coil. I re-routed it.

TPS follows the scantool.

MAP hasn't been checked.

LTFT's are around 4 and 8 when the light starts flashing.

No wideband reading yet. Will get the wideband and the MAP checked this weekend.

That said, do my tests indicate any problems? I am about to drive the same stretch of freeway tonight and I will check for problem again.

Leakdown is acceptable.

Running rail pressure should be 58+/-1 psi... 49-50 psi seems to low (about 20% too low)... what pressure is spec'd in your service manual...?

Ok, retains coolant, does not burn it.

Be careful don't let coils not have a path to ground (disconnect the primary, either at the coil or at the common subharness connector);

These coils are able to produce sufficiently high voltage to make rubber heater hose conduct (50kV+)...

if the coil does not have a secondary path to ground, it can arc internally (causes internal damage).

Agreed, Vortec 350's should read around 58-62 psi at idle and should read at about 62-66 psi at WOT or KOEO(key on engine off-or with pump running, engine not running). Pressure should rise quickly when throttle is quickly snapped open when engine is running.

+1 on these coils being very high on the voltage, its the same coil as used on the GEN 2 LT4 engines.

peace
    Hog
    1997 rcsb stock L31 longblock, Marine Intake with 28# EV6 injectors, L35 2700 stall TC,Hooker LT's 2.007 60ft

you can log misfires in the scanner its not hte most accurate
    97 2500 ecsb 5.7l/4l80e/4x4 411 pcm /thorley tri-y's/dual super 40's with x (catless)/aem cai/msd 6a and coil/zz4 cam/beehive spring/lm-1

stock sucks

Quote Originally Posted by hog View Post
    Agreed, Vortec 350's should read around 58-62 psi at idle and should read at about 62-66 psi at WOT or KOEO(key on engine off-or with pump running, engine not running). Pressure should rise quickly when throttle is quickly snapped open when engine is running.

+1 on these coils being very high on the voltage, its the same coil as used on the GEN 2 LT4 engines.

peace
    Hog
    So your FPR is manifold referenced...?

If so, temporarily remove the reference hose and measure rail pressure (base pressure), it should be a steady value...

and as you rev the engine (with hose removed) rail pressure should remain steady.

With the reference hose connected, rail pressure should equal base pressure minus MAP.

Quote Originally Posted by hog View Post

peace
    Hog
    I've checked quite a few 5.0 and 5.7 vortecs with the injectors in the intake, and every single one has idled around 49-52 PSI, and jump to about 58-60 when you snap it WOT. Also you may want to try another distributor cap. The stock crab cap with the corrected firing order is notorious for random misfires.
    1995 GMC 2500 SUBURBAN powered by 01 DURAMAX/ALLISON, little of this, a little of that,
    DIAMONDEYE 4" exhaust, CORSA muffler, AFE stage 1 dry filter, custom tuning by me, KENNEDY single pump and pump rub kit.

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    So your FPR is manifold referenced...?

If so, temporarily remove the reference hose and measure rail pressure (base pressure), it should be a steady value...

and as you rev the engine (with hose removed) rail pressure should remain steady.

With the reference hose connected, rail pressure should equal base pressure minus MAP.
    The stock Vortec 4.3/5.0/5.7 has its vacuum referenced FPR actually inside the plenum, there is no hose that can be attached or detached.
    So with these engines, base pressure is achieved by testing fuel pressure with the engine off and with the fuel pump running.

You can see it here on the left side of the fuel distribution block.

Here is the Vortec 305/350 L30/31 intake on the right side with its upper plenum installed enclosing the FPR/poppet spider. The intake on the left is a marine 305/350/383 built by GM for Mercruiser. It has a vacuum referenced FPR with the hose that you mentioned, on a stainless steel conventional MPFI fuel rail with injectors that can be upsized. The stock marine injectors are 24 lb/hr(28.4 at 4BAR). The marine FPR runs at 58psi(4BAR)(base pressure) and at idle runs at around 51-52 psi with the vacuum reference attached. I have 1 of these intakes on my 97 rcsb. It doesnt have the intake spider inside the plenum. It breathes better than the stock truck intake making better low rpm torque and marked upper rpm power. The stock intake causes over 5000rpm performance loss. The stock intake limits injector choice. The stock poppets flow 22.? lb/hr roughly.

Here is a pic of the marine intake lower, it is much cleaner than the stock truck intake without all the injection "debris" impeding airflow..

peace
    Hog
    1997 rcsb stock L31 longblock, Marine Intake with 28# EV6 injectors, L35 2700 stall TC,Hooker LT's 2.007 60ft

Quote Originally Posted by THEFERMANATOR View Post
    I've checked quite a few 5.0 and 5.7 vortecs with the injectors in the intake, and every single one has idled around 49-52 PSI, and jump to about 58-60 when you snap it WOT. Also you may want to try another distributor cap. The stock crab cap with the corrected firing order is notorious for random misfires.
    I have 3-1997(3 L31 350's) and 2-1998(1 L31 and 1 L30-305) within eyesight, they all idle around 58-60psi and when revved quickly, they spike up to around 65-66psi. With the engine off, fuel pump running(KOEO-or Key On Engine Off-taking the reading while the pump is priming, it only primes for 2 seconds if you bump the starter or turn the key to the run position). KOEO is akin to removing the vacuum reference hose on other vacuum referenced FPR setups.\
    The FSM's and Chiltons give a fuel pressure spec of 62-66 psi.
    49-50 psi is too low IMO. These poppets are not opened electronically like conventional injectors with pintles, tehre are poppet valves at the end of the spiders legs that are opend via fuel pressure. They start to not open as fuel pressures fall under 45 psi.
    I wonder why our numbers are so different?

There is/was a campaign for the California registered vehicles that run the CSFI(Central-port Sequential Fuel Injection) from 1996-2002. The MTBE Cali gas would clog the CSFI spiders, so GM developed an MPFI conversion spider that replaces the CSFI poppet spider with an MPFI spider. Because this was an emission issue, GM replaced the CSFI units with MPFI under warranty up 100,000miles IIRC. The MPFI spider replaces the poppets at the end of the spider legs with miniature versions of conventional pintle fuel injectors. These MPFI spiders flow the exact same as the poppet spider and have the same 62-66 psi fuel presssure spec as the CSFI spiders.

Stock CSFI spider on top, MPFI conversion spider on the bottom.

I just did a quick search and found this article. It has cross sections of the actual poppet.
    http://www.off-roadweb.com/tech/1012...e_fueling_fix/

peace
    Hog

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast