Thread: Question from EFI Live tutorial

Default Question from EFI Live tutorial

Custom OS and 2/3 Bar Tutorial.

"If your operating system is not listed (i.e 1999 and 2000 model years), you may use one of the 2001,2002 operating systems. Unfortunately, it is not possible to upgrade your calibrations to the new operating system. If you upgrade the PCM to a later year, you will need to retune your PCM for that Operating System."

Now, does this mean my existing tune(1999) can not be used as a base if I upgrade to the 2002 operating system?

What does it mean?

TIA

Basically what it means is that you can not flash in the calibration from your 99 OS into the new 01/02 OS directly.

For example my stock OS was 12202088 and I upgraded to 12225074. Because the operating systems are different I can't take the 12202088 tune and flash those calibrations over to the 12225074 OS. What I can do however is manually copy/paste each matching table from the pervious Os into the new OS. Now, in some cases there are going to be different tables that you will have to decide what you want to do.

If you are upgrading to a EFILive Custom Operating System then you need to have a tune from the operating system that the particular custom was derived (modified) from.

Using my example again. The Custom OS for the 1225074 OS is 0129000x (where x is OS version from 1 -> 3). In this case I flash (full flash) in the new base operating system, then use my 12225074 based tune file to flash in ONLY the calibration data.

Hope that helps?

Cheers,
    Andrew
    EFILive Crew

I appreciate the help. I have a perfect tune without any ses lights now maf based with a twin turbo. Drives perfect. No stumbles,etc. Now the maf maxes out at 4200rpm and PE vs RPM is hacked to add the proper fuel to keep it safe at 16psi beyond 4200rpm. Short term I'm only going to run one boost curve that maxes at 16/17psi as that is the max efficient flow of the GT28R's...any more boost is just more heat and no more power.

Sooooo, short term sounds like PE vs RPm is less hassle.

Long term sounds like a 3bar is the way to go but with some hours/headache of starting over with a base tune.

Thanks again.

it's really not that bad. The tune tool has a lot of handy utilities built into it to make the conversion easier.