Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new to Cummins tuning....

Default new to Cummins tuning....

i have an 08 6.7 and live in a emissions restricted state (MA). i have not yet bought EFI live but i would like to and am of course doing my research on the Cummins version. what i am trying to figure out is how "tuneable" is this software? can i go into the entire cummins pcm and make a complete custom tune? my main concern is emissions system delete support. will this software allow me to run code free ding free after the removal of catalytic converter? DPF? EGR? all, some or none?? i hear that chrysler vehicles are prob some of the worst to tune because of all the restrictions. i have a 2002 camaro with all emissions equipment removed a huge 7.0 motor 550RWHP and it was tuned with EFI Live in speed density rather than the OEM maf tune and it will pass all emissions test with flying colors! the car is straight piped no cats its basically a race car i drive occasionally on the streets and EFI live allowed me to have it tuned and pass emissions.
    that being said i am wondering if the same can be done with my Cummins? from what i research it doesnt seem likely so i have to ask why? why cant certain items be "tuned out" like they can in GM vehicles?

with there software right now you can do the delete the next update they are removing this due to the epa crack down it would take a lot to get a cummins to pass with no dpf/egr
    97 2500 ecsb 5.7l/4l80e/4x4 411 pcm /thorley tri-y's/dual super 40's with x (catless)/aem cai/msd 6a and coil/zz4 cam/beehive spring/lm-1

stock sucks

Diesel emissions testing in most states is not a tailpipe gas test, it's a visual equipment inspection to be sure all oem emissions components are intact and appear to be functioning. EFILive software will give you more than enough tuneability to allow a tailpipe gas test to be passed but the EPA doesn't see it that way.
    Lee

Reiff Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by tokymon View Post
    with there software right now you can do the delete the next update they are removing this due to the epa crack down it would take a lot to get a cummins to pass with no dpf/egr
    so if the next update removes this function is it even worth buying? are we forced to get that update? does it mean i can never recieve any other future updates unless i get screwed and they take that option away???
    either way if efi live is going to be screwing people out of full tunability then they can expect their customer list and future customers from the states to say goodbye! epa or no epa i think they should offer it the same as they do in Europe just label as "for off road use only" those magical words allow A LOT to be legal!
    Last edited by C Murda; January 28th, 2013 at 09:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LReiff View Post
    Diesel emissions testing in most states is not a tailpipe gas test, it's a visual equipment inspection to be sure all oem emissions components are intact and appear to be functioning. EFILive software will give you more than enough tuneability to allow a tailpipe gas test to be passed but the EPA doesn't see it that way.
    oh i know and have a friend that does inspections... visually i will "pass" without everything but when they plug in to my obd2 port their computer looks for the following to be "ready"
    misfire
    fuel control
    comprehensive components
    catalyst
    02 sensor
    02 sensor heater
    EGR

now when i had my friend plug my truck in just to see what i would fail on the only listed section that came up as "not ready" were catalyst, 02 sensor and EGR. the odd thing is i still have my EGR and it is still hooked up as far as i know from visually inspecting.

the problem with the offroad only phrase is that even the edge racing was for off road only and they were just fined 500,000 and have to buy back all there tuners and as far as i know smarty and h&s have pulled all there products.
    you can still get better fuel milage with the dpf and egr functional. idaho rod just poster where they picked up 3 miles to the gallon with dpf present
    97 2500 ecsb 5.7l/4l80e/4x4 411 pcm /thorley tri-y's/dual super 40's with x (catless)/aem cai/msd 6a and coil/zz4 cam/beehive spring/lm-1

stock sucks

Move to New Zealand.
    Lee

Reiff Diesel

i may have to sell my newly bought 6.7 and look for a 5.9.... to me its not a matter of just put that crap back on its a matter of being able to be run without stupid USELESS restrictions...

Quote Originally Posted by LReiff View Post
    Move to New Zealand.
    so if they wont be doing this restriction over seas then why not just buy the Euro spec version?

Lifetime Member

To understand how our software restrictions will impact you, you should read our FAQ here http://forum.efilive.com/showthread....-USA-customers

Cheers
    Cindy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast