Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: EFILive Pre-Release 05

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    Yeah fair call Erik, I shouldn't judge on a pre-release when many will choose not to use it. Don't worry about buying a 3800 PCM, I have a pile of them here. I think we got them for $5ea off Ebay in a bulk lot years ago.
    That is another issue, your lucky guys have the time to work with the pre release. I couldn't think of making my software unusable and read somewhere else you can't reinstall old version? To dangerous... liking what I see... but the final release would have to be out a long time before I try!

Keep up the good work!

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    I already set up the cax file with approx 50 more paremeters to make the Vortec a tunable PCM.

Not a surprise, just like the Vortec PCM, all the people with them and 3800 PCM have not purchased EFI live so how could you get any reads? The market is still there, just no one to fill it.

So the cost of used parts is cheap, installing them on top of a tune is a lot of labor. Most people I talk to don't want the complications of a hacked together vehicle. Worry they may not be able to get service...

With the economy here the big performance builds have gone extinct and with current administration keeping the economy from ever recovering the days of performance builds of plenty is history. The new market is all about tweaking what they have for fuel economy and will always be there, whether or not money starts flowing again like it was until 2007 when there was an abundance to spend on performance toys.

Differant world now, need to look at things differantly to keep getting new customers, or stay in business for a product only designed for Performance use.
    Glad to hear you got the cax stuff figured out!

A lot of shops see a variety of vehicles, but I dont think its the visibility but the lack of it being in a stable, final public release.

Now that I have 2 laptops, Im going to keep one on the latest public release all the time and run the latest beta stuff on the other. Flashing V2 firmware is quick, heck my V2 is running PR06 and I used it to save a file so I could flash with an AutoCal over the weekend (running June 2012 public fw).

I know parts are cheap and it's the labor that gets you, if your customers dont want to deal with the swap then unfortunately they'll have to live with the current EFILive and your custom params. Believe me, Ross and Paul are tired of hearing my broken record about additional P10 params, but Ive given that battle up. Fought a gallant fight for 5+ years, finally had to let it go. (I dont have the time/knowledge to learn assembly and reverse engineer params for the P10, props for doing it on the Vortec PCM! )

I know what you're talking about for the DD vs Performance stuff, but speaking only for the P10, all the tables are there to get a good tune. The only ones off the top of my head that aren't there are the ones to remove the cats. Dont know what the Vortec has because Ive never played with one, just read a buddy's truck a few years back.

That is another issue, your lucky guys have the time to work with the pre release. I couldn't think of making my software unusable and read somewhere else you can't reinstall old version? To dangerous... liking what I see... but the final release would have to be out a long time before I try!

Keep up the good work!
    You can easily reinstall the old version, downfall is you have to back everything up and uninstall the pre-release, then install the old version so all the files are the correct version.

Most guys who tune full time use the Pre-Release/Release Candidates to play on a separate machine with their personal stuff on weekends, during M-F its public stuff only (unless a critical bugfix is in a newer release).
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Release Candidate 1 has been made available here:
    http://forum.efilive.com/showthread....132#post187132
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Hope this helps you guys make some future decisions. I really like using EFI Live.

There's an thread discussing OBDII tuners from users of all software. Consenses is TunerCat OBDII has more settings, more personal support then any, no per vehicle license fee, EFI Live does what it feels nessecery the forum is dead other then software support, HP Tuners forum and customers are booming and is more intrested in customer ideas and implements them:
    I have made requests for new vehicles and features and they were always added to a new release in a reasonable period of time.
    I can't even get you guys intrested in O2 high and low settings or DFCO MPH settings on the most popular gas controller the LS1b ?

Can't get more customers till reviews get better, waiting for reads from Tuners is not a good gauge of intrest, they have been telling everyone they can't do it for years along with the Internet, everyone knows this. Even if you had the V6 support it's not going to do much business from existing tuners for just licenses, it would bring in more personal sales of the software.

These same tuners and Internet facts are why you get no sales from the Vortec crowd.

Your missing the boat, there's way more V6 and Vortec out there now and forever then there will be new 2013 cars with the economy. Tuning is still HUGE on late 80s and early 90s GM cars. Don't know what your thinking?

There's an thread discussing OBDII tuners from users of all software. Consenses is TunerCat OBDII has more settings, more personal support then any, no per vehicle license fee, EFI Live does what it feels nessecery the forum is dead other then software support, HP Tuners forum and customers are booming and is more intrested in customer ideas and implements them
    I am speechless, but then you are basing your discussion on internet forums, certainly the polar opposite of what we hear when we meet and greet shop owners at trade shows.
    EagleMark, there is probably nothing more I can say without offending you, but we direct support and R&D time to markets that reflect sales figures, the ONLY reason we would ever add 3800 V6 tuning support is so existing customers who like to use just one package could stick with EFILive. It's not like there is an untapped market out there, it reached saturation many years ago when DHP & HPTuners were trying to outdo each other. It would be like trying to make an impact in the paper clip market, sure you'll sell some, but is it worth your while when there is bigger fish to fry.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Please tell me, I'm not trying to offend and if wrong won't take it offensive.

Trade shows are the exact opposite of real world, but that is another whole discussion. Would be like government basing their performance from government.

It's not like there is an untapped market out there...
    Yes there is! That's the whole point!

but we direct support and R&D time to markets that reflect sales figures,
    There are no sales figures for the 2 markets I'm pointing out? Again, that's the point! They were always there and always will be. You have the high profile vehicles covered, now get the rest. You should look for all fish and not just big ones.

Doesn't take that much time to add another vehicle. I'm not even that good at it but can knock out a new calibration editor and data acquisition file for OBDI in a couple weeks alone with all the testing? Then I have it forever.

Trade shows are the exact opposite of real world, but that is another whole discussion.
    Ok, when you have many people over several days of a trade shows calling by a booth and saying, we have a shop, we use 'x' brand or brand 'y' of tuning software, it doesn't do this, it doesn't do that, we pay too much etc, etc, I am likely to believe that as feedback rather than multiple internet forums (which I never frequent) by posters who are usually the same people anyway.
    For people to say that HPT listen to their customers is a joke (for the most part), their external wideband logging has been broken for years, surely that is a rather important thing to have working in the gas tuning world? Maybe those pages of people complaining don't count in your internet investigations? How about Virtual VE tuning that their customers have been asking for ever since we put it in all those years ago, you still have to use an external program for them OR an SD 'upgraded OS' if you are lucky enough to have yours supported. Any specific examples of what they implemented by customers request would be great to learn about.

Yes there is! That's the whole point!
    But you've already pointed out with Tunercat the no VIN licensing and as far as I know dirt cheap prices, so they already prostituted that market and killed it for others to enter in to. Most people will always take the cheap option, not necessarily the best.

There are no sales figures for the 2 markets I'm pointing out? Again, that's the point!
    No, when we have solid figures for what we do support, it doesn't make sense to try to break in to a market that peaked 5 or 6 years ago and potentially neglect existing successful platforms.
    To me that is like the Rolling Stones releasing a rap album, sure there is plenty of artists making truck loads of money off rap music, but would they? What would their existing fan base think? They should concentrate on a proven formula.
    And to be honest, I'd rather relax a little in life too rather than support every PCM out there.

Doesn't take that much time to add another vehicle. I'm not even that good at it but can knock out a new calibration editor and data acquisition file for OBDI in a couple weeks alone with all the testing? Then I have it forever.
    Of course it does, if you are basing that statement on some 16bit ECM's out of the 80's then that is not a fair comparison. I know those systems too and the complexity is as you would expect not on par with the 68000 based PCM's.
    The 3800 Platform has always been of interest to us and we will continue to slowly add the foundations in to the software to support them one day (like the silly checksum they use), but it's a 'in our spare time' or 'need a break' project.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

i have booth tuners (hp,efi live) i use efi as much as possible even though it cost a little more to use (125 us to 99 us) per licence
    hp has been in beta for at least 4 years (the whole time i have owned it. bought it because ford and dodge were comming out right around the corner.
    4 years later very little ford and no dodge atleast you have made good with the cummins just need the newer stuff now for us not under epa control
    97 2500 ecsb 5.7l/4l80e/4x4 411 pcm /thorley tri-y's/dual super 40's with x (catless)/aem cai/msd 6a and coil/zz4 cam/beehive spring/lm-1

stock sucks

Sorry it's taking me so long, had some personal issues going on. BUt, I've got V8 loaded, and heading out right now to see if I can get a read on my 3800 supercharged version....
    New to EFILive, been wrenching for about 20 yrs now. Current project: 1998 Chevy K3500, L29

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by skills4lou View Post
    Sorry it's taking me so long, had some personal issues going on. BUt, I've got V8 loaded, and heading out right now to see if I can get a read on my 3800 supercharged version....
    Hit Auto Detect and see if the PCM comes up (be good feedback) and read it out!
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast