Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: New to EFILive, Help increasing AFR

I'll take some pics when I get my camera charged...

I usually run with long tube headers (with metallic cats) and with the Blackwing airbox lid (it's the only lid I found to fit properly, it comes OEM on the Firehawk)... everything else looks plain/stock, not much too see...

I'm about to install:
    - shocks (Koni),
    - springs (Strano, 1.25" drop),
    - 35mm/22mm sway bars (Strano),
    - bushings/balljoints/shockmounts (Moog),
    - wheel/axle bearings (Timkin),
    - motor/trans mounts (Prothane),
    - stainless catback (MagnaFlow dual single tips),
    - LS6 valley plate,
    - 243 heads with LS6 valves/springs,
    - 308 cam (I want to keep the stock torque converter),
    - rocker trunion upgrade (Comp Cams),
    - lifters (stock replacement for LS1/LS2/LS3/LS6/LS7),
    - timing sprockets (stock replacement)
    - timing chain (Katech/IWIS),
    - oil pump (stock LS6),
    - harmonic damper/pulley (ATI),
    - water pump with later style (2-piece) thermostat,
    - trans external cooler,
    - power steering external cooler,
    - a few other things (tensioner/idler pulleys),

lol, my list is longer than I realized... I'm going to be busy
    Last edited by joecar; March 12th, 2013 at 09:13 AM.

LOL that is quite a list you got there. Sounds nice though. Got to love durability upgrades with the added advantage of performance gains. What are you looking to put down when all is said and done?

-Shaun
    1987 MAZDA RX-7 LS1 T56 | 1995 MAZDA RX-7 ST PORT BOLT ONS ADAPTRONIC PNP | 1994 MAZDA RX-7 TSP 416 LS3 T56 MAGNUM E40 ECM

Yes, I'm due for a refresh, I have 150K miles.

The LS6 (243 heads, 308 cam) is rated by GM at 405 fwhp... with the headers/lid I mentioned I'm guestmating 430 fwhp...

the beauty of this is that below 3000 rpm torque/power will be the same as the stock LS1 (fuel consumption, emissions, driveability will be the same)... lol, it will be almost "sleeper" (if a TA can be called that), no body will be any the wiser (other than the exhaust sound).

like you said, my aim is to upgrade performance while retaining durability, maintain driveability, improve handling, and keep the stockish appearance.
    Last edited by joecar; March 25th, 2013 at 08:29 AM.

I really want to do some reliability mods myself, especially push rods and springs. An ls6 head would also be a nice add on along with a ported polished TB/intake manifold and timing chain.

Back to the tuning part, I think my VE table is finally coming together. On my latest log with filters applied my average ltft1 was 0.3 and ltft2 0.0. Pretty happy about that. The log didn't include any real WOT but just some everyday driving and hard accel. I tried to fine tune some areas by adding the ltft percent in certain rpm vs map areas. My new target as far as ltft averages go is between -1 to 0% over an hour log. I did notice that in PE I was logging positive trims so I added some fuel in that range and hope to 0 them out. I then had to remove alot of timing to get rid of the KR. I tried to do some research and from what I could find, the 98-00 LS1's don't like too much timing when paired with an LS6 intake manifold. Seems like 00 LS1 with LS6 intake manifold prefers 21-23* of timing during WOT, maybe as low as 19 in some areas. On some previous logs I noticed that my car would lean out on WOT. The initial AFR would be fine but as I continued to hold down the pedal it would lean out amost near stoich... In order for the car to stay rich it went into PPM and used the EQR of 1.25 and only reached lambda values of .80 -.83. I was lost when this happened and tried to figure out what was going on. In the end I just kind of figured multiple factors were at play including cat over temp protection. I need to run another log this time with WOT runs to see if the problem fixed itself. Btw, I don't think I've ever abused this car so much before, haha. Its fun but annoying that I haven't ran into any cars to help me "datalog" in WOT.

So I decided to permanently do the following:

B3605 Commanded Fuel When in Open Loop Changed to 1.16 from 85kPa - 60*C ECT to 100kPA - 140*C ECT
    B3603 Engine Protection ModeChanged from 1.13 to 1.16
    B3659 Piston Protection Mode Changed from 1.25 to 1.19

Here is my log if you want to take a look.
    LS1B_0021.efi

Any input would be appreciated regarding my progress and the changes I have decided on.

-Shaun
    1987 MAZDA RX-7 LS1 T56 | 1995 MAZDA RX-7 ST PORT BOLT ONS ADAPTRONIC PNP | 1994 MAZDA RX-7 TSP 416 LS3 T56 MAGNUM E40 ECM

Hi Shaun,

Yes, there are several protection modes: EPM, PPM, COTP, and PE (you can think of PE as this, it has a dual role).

Lol, this engine likes abuse, it thrives on it if you don't regularly abuse it then it will suffer.

Those are good engine-safety changes... if you make them each slightly different than each other you can more easily see which one has enabled and is fueling (e.g. set B3603 to 1.18).

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213