Thread: 4 cylinder tune?

Default 4 cylinder tune?

I have been searching around for a few days now and haven't found any relevant info. Is it possible to cut the d-max down to a 4 cylinder or even a 6 cylinder for economy purposes? Has anyone tried it? This is just a thought I have had rolling around my had lately.

Not that i know of, and cutting 4 cylinders would cost you economy. Those 4 cylinders not getting fuel would still be compressing air in the cylinders, and that pumping takes HP to do.
    1995 GMC 2500 SUBURBAN powered by 01 DURAMAX/ALLISON, little of this, a little of that,
    DIAMONDEYE 4" exhaust, CORSA muffler, AFE stage 1 dry filter, custom tuning by me, KENNEDY single pump and pump rub kit.

Lifetime Member

Default 4 cylinder tune?

It would require a major engine modification so you could reduce the compression on those cylinders when running on 4/6.

And honestly it only helps on the gassers running 55 on perfectly flat ground.
    14 GMC Sierra
    5.3L CC SB 4x4
    Basic tuning....

Currently with my shorted injector (see my other thread about that) I have it disconnected and a choke wired in its place to trick the ecm / fcim into thinking there is still an injector there so the truck doesn't run in limp mode. I have been running this for only one week but I can tell that my mpgs are already down. I believe as the THEFERMANATOR (should there be an extra "the " in front of his name?) already mentioned, it is down due to the cylinder still compressing air but not contributing to the HP of the engine.

Also, correct me if I am wrong, but I don't believe that diesels will ever need to run with cylinder deactivation as the gassers only use it to keep the engine from running too lean when going for economy . But diesels can run lean all day long without any problems.
    2008 Chevrolet 3500HD DRW LTZ
    285/75/17 Nitto Dura Grapplers, 4.56 gears, Front and rear ARB lockers, Efi Live tuning by me, Raptor 160 LP, Cognito 4-6 NTB Lift, 4" Exhaust, Built Trans by Mike L.

Sold - 2004 LB7 Duramax, EFI Live with DSP5 Tune
    stage 4 SC transmission, 265/70/16 tires