Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Low Performance 6.7

In reference to monitoring the pulse widths (injection durations) I think it's on one of the fuel PID "groups" that we are stuck using. Even though EFI claims that's the only way to monitor PID's on this ECM Auto Enginuity can read individual PID's but it's quite a bit slower on refresh rate. So I'm hoping they can fix this sometime in the future.
    2000 F350. Cummins 6.7 c&c. Allison 5sp. 4" ProComp lift. ARP head studs, BD Power Super B Special turbo, grid delete w/Shibby inline, ATS exhaust manifold, 5" exhaust w/AeroTurbine.

Glad to hear that you were able to get it adjusted. It should help.

Quote Originally Posted by WetMtnCrd View Post
    My TPS appears to be fairly linear...
    So, to confirm, {GM.TP} reads almost lthe same values across the scale with your pedal position? What year is your ECU and which APPS/pedal are you using?

My {GM.TP} ramps up very quickly when I push the pedal. For example, when I am at about 25% actual position, {GM.TP} is already reading 60% or higher. The values is actually called "effective" TPS and it appears to be a mystery as to what all inputs are involved. I believe that MAF may even be incorporated into the "effective" value. In any event, can you double check that particular PID when you get a chance? If yours does in fact scale 1:1 or even close, i would love to know more about your swap because this wild scaling makes it difficult to interpret the logs at times.
    2006 Ford F250 Super Duty, 2008 Cummins 6.7, Allison 1000 5spd
    2011 Ford F250 Super Duty, 6.7L Scorpion

Quote Originally Posted by beav View Post
    Glad to hear that you were able to get it adjusted. It should help.

So, to confirm, {GM.TP} reads almost lthe same values across the scale with your pedal position? What year is your ECU and which APPS/pedal are you using?

My {GM.TP} ramps up very quickly when I push the pedal. For example, when I am at about 25% actual position, {GM.TP} is already reading 60% or higher. The values is actually called "effective" TPS and it appears to be a mystery as to what all inputs are involved. I believe that MAF may even be incorporated into the "effective" value. In any event, can you double check that particular PID when you get a chance? If yours does in fact scale 1:1 or even close, i would love to know more about your swap because this wild scaling makes it difficult to interpret the logs at times.
    My ECM is the one that came with the engine. It was out of a 2008 Ram 4500 C&C truck. Don't know about the APPS, It's whatever Scott put on it when they changed from the 5.9 to the 6.7.

I use a different TP PID when monitoring or tuning. It's one that is actual TPS. That other one that ramps up really fast and then settles back in my opinion is used to get things started. Perhaps for better throttle response. It's a calculated value--"effective calculated throttle position". Problem is I'm told that there is no bi-directional communication between the TCM and ECM through XFC. So there's no feed back from the TCM to the ECM. It only goes the other way so that the TCM gets TPS and RPM. At least that's what I was told.
    Last edited by WetMtnCrd; December 5th, 2013 at 12:22 PM.
    2000 F350. Cummins 6.7 c&c. Allison 5sp. 4" ProComp lift. ARP head studs, BD Power Super B Special turbo, grid delete w/Shibby inline, ATS exhaust manifold, 5" exhaust w/AeroTurbine.

My ECM is the one that came with the engine. It was out of a 2008 Ram 4500 C&C truck. Don't know about the APPS, It's whatever Scott put on it when they changed from the 5.9 to the 6.7.

I use a different TP PID when monitoring or tuning. That other one that ramps up really fast and then settles back in my opinion is used to get things started. Perhaps for better throttle response. Problem is I'm told that there is no bi-directional communication between the TCM and ECM through XFC. So there's no feed back from the TCM to the ECM. It only goes the other way so that the TCM gets TPS and RPM. At least that's what I was told.
    Chances are, if Scott set you up with the APPS it would most likely be the one from the Dodge or C&C which should be the same. I am using the one from the Dodge because nothing else made better sense to use. Plus the pedal fits nicely. I did not use Destroked's bracket because it flexed too much and would not allow me to get the pedal to 100% with a mat...so I made my own.

So, what PID do you use for TPS?

You are correct, there is absolutely no connection between the TCM and ECU/ECM with the Destroked setup. Load demand is calculated by the TPS and RPM and calibrated with the PWM1/2 tables. I am working on a solution to tie the TCM and ECU together so that I can achieve true load demand from the engine and a defuel signal on shift from the TCM. This is how it should be. Not knocking the XFC solution because it works, but having it this way will provide better control of both the engine and transmission across all rapid changing driving habits. So, if you have been cruising around from light to light, then that DMax puffs some smoke at you, you will be free to put it to the floor without worrying about hurting the tranny with a surprising load. Really, the Allison would work just like it does in a GM truck.

My two biggest wishes from EFILive is that they roll out the 6.7 CSP5 soon and provide more PIDs for the Allison. Also, if they could figure out how to get the SKIM disable to "really" work on the Dodge O/S's.

I'll have to look to see what PID I'm using for TP next time I have it hooked up. Mostly I use the one from either the XFC or ECM 'cause the TCM one is that calculated one that's not very useful. We had a high temp today of 8 deg and it's not looking like it's going to warm up anytime soon. So I'm not exactly anxious to get out there and do a lot.

I'll have to look to see what PID I'm using for TP next time I have it hooked up. Mostly I use the one from either the XFC or ECM 'cause the TCM one is that calculated one that's not very useful. We had a high temp today of 8 deg and it's not looking like it's going to warm up anytime soon. So I'm not exactly anxious to get out there and do a lot.
    Yeah, weather stinks right now. We have some ice storms coming in the next few days...yuk!

I've done the same on TPS PIDs. My ECU TPS PID is clean as a whistle.

What PID are you using in the TCM for speed? I cannot find any PIDs that show speed. All I know to do it create a calc PID from {GM.TOS} along with my rear gear ratio and tire size conversion.

I don't think there's a speed PID working at the present time. The only thing we have is output shaft speed. The same with "RPM"--it's input shaft speed. XFC doesn't have a speed signal either. We need to get one of those working. Either from the TCM or use the Ford one somehow.

Ok. Here's a data log from the tune I'm using after anarchy's changes to the limiter tables. I already had those limiters disabled and the changes made no difference. So now I believe disabling those probably works. But it never hurts to try stuff. If you look at the data log and then compare what's happening to what's on the tune file you'll see that the pressure (mpa) and quantity (mm3) are no where new what is being commanded. But even if the mm3 table is only a max value then the pressure is still not what it should be relative to actual mm3 and rpm. Consequently the pw and timing are not where they should be either. Even with 90mm3 limit the pressure should be higher and that would effect pw and timing. I've tried to get the pressure up but none of the related tables respond to any adjustment. The only tables that seem to have any effect at all are timing and pw and they are limited to what the pressure and mm3 are doing. Which is whatever they damn well please.
    I have a c&c that is doing this exact thing , but the h&s will fuel fine . There has to be a table that efi is not giving us access to

I haven't messed with the stock ECM much this past year. But it's good to know that H&S will also fuel as will Smarty. So I agree that something is missing in EFI. Been kind of frustrated with EFI for this reason. Why can Smarty and H&S do it but EFI can't make it happen? It's a great tuning tool with a lot of flexibility but useless without being able to get the fueling and pressures up. That said I've been using the Zeus from Destroked for a while and they have the cold start problem almost solved. The driveability is still not quite where the stock ECM is but there is improvement. Would probly go back to the stock ECM if EFI worked better for tunning.

I haven't messed with the stock ECM much this past year. But it's good to know that H&S will also fuel as will Smarty. So I agree that something is missing in EFI. Been kind of frustrated with EFI for this reason. Why can Smarty and H&S do it but EFI can't make it happen? It's a great tuning tool with a lot of flexibility but useless without being able to get the fueling and pressures up. That said I've been using the Zeus from Destroked for a while and they have the cold start problem almost solved. The driveability is still not quite where the stock ECM is but there is improvement. Would probly go back to the stock ECM if EFI worked better for tunning.
    I went through and made some changes with the latest update from EFILive. I think this might solve your issue. If not, get an '08 pickup ECM. I have a file to make those work. CMC_0002_MPD_0000.ctz

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast