Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wondering if this will work?? Colorado LSA 6 speeds transmission

Lifetime Member

If it is from a A6 corvette they should be similar, i havent done the paddle shifters on any 6L80E yet, you need the corvette tune and you need some kind of circuit that contains some resistors or something like that i been searching a lot on the web to try to find how to acomplish that circuit but it seems like people dont want to share it,, speartech sells that circuit inside a litle box, so you can use any tap shifts or a momentary push button,

Quote Originally Posted by turbo_bu View Post
    400ss, Thanks for sharing with us what you have done. One thing that I am still a little curious about is that some people have mentioned using the Corvette 6L80E OS since it has inputs for the tap up/down shifting without using the BCM ??? The one post that talks about this mentioned using a 2009 OS. Maybe other years of Vette TCM's are similar?

Bringing this back from the dead. Did you figure out the tap shifters? Also, for the LSA, did you use the Colorado E67 ECM and OS or the CTS-V ECM and OS?

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by LSTOYS View Post
    Bringing this back from the dead. Did you figure out the tap shifters? Also, for the LSA, did you use the Colorado E67 ECM and OS or the CTS-V ECM and OS?
    with the correct resistors and wiring it correctly and with the correct trans tune it should work, and about the colorado i did used colorado E67, OS because colorado E67 has can bus and serial data to keep everything working correctly

Bringing this back from hibernation again because I am doing it now. 400ss, thank you so much for your input on this, because of this thread I am now upgrading the 4L60e in my 2009 Colorado factory 5.3L 4x4 to a 6L80e. Your info and experience was super valuable. If you are still on here, or for anybody else that has done this swap in this vehicle, please check my thinking on the only remaining concerns below, thanks. As a reminder, these trucks are E67 / T42 / CAN and serial bus. I'll be exchanging the T42 for T43 of the same year, 2009:

1. Did the Colorado vehicle speedometer work after your transmission swap? The stock VSS sensor on the transfer case of my 4x4 truck feeds into my T42, of which the T42 will be removed. T43 has a replicated TOS wire into E38 on its original vehicle (2009 Cadillac Escalade), but I am not using E38, I am using my stock E67 same as you did. Is VSS just "output shaft speed" sensor for proper T42 operation, not for vehicle speed display? I thought cluster vehicle speed was simply 4 ABS channels averaged?

2. You say the PRNDL display worked correctly after swap. How? T42 (external) and T43 (internal) must send same CAN data to BCM / IP for PRNDL display?

3. T43 also has a serial "wake up" signal wire. Is this required? Leave no connect, hook to bus, or switched ignition? Try to find on E67 and connect it?

I am in the process now of having a 6L80e to Colorado transfer case adapter custom CNC machined. If anybody else needs one, I'd be happy to make another for cost. TBMS was doing this for a brief period but has stopped responding to most inquiries, so doing myself.

Thanks all, especially 400ss for his contribution on this.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by OEMOBDII View Post
    Bringing this back from hibernation again because I am doing it now. 400ss, thank you so much for your input on this, because of this thread I am now upgrading the 4L60e in my 2009 Colorado factory 5.3L 4x4 to a 6L80e. Your info and experience was super valuable. If you are still on here, or for anybody else that has done this swap in this vehicle, please check my thinking on the only remaining concerns below, thanks. As a reminder, these trucks are E67 / T42 / CAN and serial bus. I'll be exchanging the T42 for T43 of the same year, 2009:

1. Did the Colorado vehicle speedometer work after your transmission swap? YES IT DOES WORKS The stock VSS sensor on the transfer case of my 4x4 truck feeds into my T42, of which the T42 will be removed. T43 has a replicated TOS wire into E38 on its original vehicle (2009 Cadillac Escalade), but I am not using E38, I am using my stock E67 same as you did. Is VSS just "output shaft speed" sensor for proper T42 operation, not for vehicle speed display? I thought cluster vehicle speed was simply 4 ABS channels averaged?
    Do you have the diagrams for your truck? i can take a look to help you better.

2. You say the PRNDL display worked correctly after swap. How? T42 (external) and T43 (internal) must send same CAN data to BCM / IP for PRNDL display?
    The T42 has the gear selector externally , but wires goes to the T42 TCM, the 6L80E has it internally already wired to the T43 TCM, then it goes trought canbus i think, but it works.

3. T43 also has a serial "wake up" signal wire. Is this required? Leave no connect, hook to bus, or switched ignition? Try to find on E67 and connect it?
    If your E67 has the wire, use it.

I am in the process now of having a 6L80e to Colorado transfer case adapter custom CNC machined. If anybody else needs one, I'd be happy to make another for cost. TBMS was doing this for a brief period but has stopped responding to most inquiries, so doing myself.

Thanks all, especially 400ss for his contribution on this.

get some diagrams for your colorado and the diagrams for the trans u scored, and i will help you better. its not that hard, the hard part is the mechanical job of installing trans etc..
    I dont remember the wires at the moment, but all of them are already on your truck, just need to hook ones and relocate others.

OK, thank you for responding. I have a commercial subscription to AllData, so I can quickly pull wiring diagrams for everything and have done so for both my truck and the 2009 Escalade of which the 6L80 came from. The wiring changes line up with what you said you did.

If it worked for you then it should work for mine as well. I do have the wiring figured out, looks pretty simple. I have also researched the T43 wakeup serial signal, this looks to just be ignition switched 12V power. Not used on my Colorado E67, but I will see if it is on other E67 and possibly apply it. The PRNDL display via bus must be the same protocol via T42 and T43 then. Cool.

T-case adapter getting machined now. Can't wait to do this. Thanks again. I also up-flashed the 2007 T43 OS to 2009 via GM TIS2WEB service, as we also have an MDI here at work. So now it should communicate easily with my 2009 E67, both being same year.

If I get it all working, I may change the T43 OS to the Corvette tune and hardwire the tap-up/down shifting.

So I just unplugged the output shaft speed sensor on my transfer case, as this will go away once I switch to the 6L80/T43, and my speedometer quit working. I somehow hope the T43 is sending vehicle speed same as the T42 to the ECM and IP. Don't need it to read or work correctly in transfer case low range, just in normal 2WD and 4x4 hi range.

I'll need to study how the speed is routed from my t-case output speed sensor to the T42, then to the ECM and IP, and try to figure out how the T43 will be doing so as well. Wonder if I can simply patch the transfer case output speed sensor into my ECM as a replicated TOS such as the T43 has this signal out?

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by OEMOBDII View Post
    OK, thank you for responding. I have a commercial subscription to AllData, so I can quickly pull wiring diagrams for everything and have done so for both my truck and the 2009 Escalade of which the 6L80 came from. The wiring changes line up with what you said you did.

If it worked for you then it should work for mine as well. I do have the wiring figured out, looks pretty simple. I have also researched the T43 wakeup serial signal, this looks to just be ignition switched 12V power. Not used on my Colorado E67, but I will see if it is on other E67 and possibly apply it. The PRNDL display via bus must be the same protocol via T42 and T43 then. Cool.

T-case adapter getting machined now. Can't wait to do this. Thanks again. I also up-flashed the 2007 T43 OS to 2009 via GM TIS2WEB service, as we also have an MDI here at work. So now it should communicate easily with my 2009 E67, both being same year.

If I get it all working, I may change the T43 OS to the Corvette tune and hardwire the tap-up/down shifting.
    if your truck does not has wake up signal, its ok, dont need it

I may be OK. If the T43 is not sending the vehicle speed over the bus to the ECM, then it looks like the E67 does accept VSS input directly on the C3 connector ( in Cadillac CTS-V configs). So, as long as that would work with my Colorado OS, which it looks like is editable in aftermarket tuning, then that could also be a solution for me.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123