Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LML Flashing Support

Lifetime Member

yep gotcha. Thanks
    2015 3500HD crew cab long bed, 6" fabtech, slightly tuned, emissions intact.
    2005 dmax ccsb, EFI live tuned DSP 5 Full built motor, S471 billet single, More better built trans this time. and lots of other things.
    1984 CJ7 powered by a 2000 LS1. 4L60E.
    2012 Jetta TDI 6 speed manual, (yes the dirty the bastard haha)
    2003 Jetta TDI,
    1986 K10 LQ4/4L80E

If basic LML mapping support ever becomes available, would there maybe be some deal where the "license" to activate LML tuning is a couple grand or something (similar to a stream license), that tuning shops could buy, and then they would be on their own as far as opening up ECM's and reading tunes?

I highly doubt EFILive wants to open up the can of worms as far as giving away that capability to all EFILive customers as a general "update". I cant even imagine how many threads would result in "wait so how do I solder the jumper wire on the PCB??? Can someone make a DIY for this???"

But for those of us who are comfortable with working on electronics and have advanced soldering/mechanical skills, etc and dont mind investing a chunk of change for LML support, it might be an interesting proposition....

ben
    2005 Silverado, CC/SB, 4x4, LT, LILLY/Allison
    12.9s @ 108 mph

many thanks to Ross and Paul

Quote Originally Posted by DURAtotheMAX View Post
    If basic LML mapping support ever becomes available, would there maybe be some deal where the "license" to activate LML tuning is a couple grand or something (similar to a stream license), that tuning shops could buy, and then they would be on their own as far as opening up ECM's and reading tunes?
    I think what you are getting at there is essentially another level to keep the DIY guy out of the market (I know that sounds bad)?

I highly doubt EFILive wants to open up the can of worms as far as giving away that capability to all EFILive customers as a general "update". I cant even imagine how many threads would result in "wait so how do I solder the jumper wire on the PCB???
    Well, it will be a general update, much like the ability to read and flash E55, E69 & E77 Bosch ECM's has been a general update for a long time, unless you know how to tune those controllers yourself it's useless to you.
    LML is the same, unless you have the means to pull ECM's apart, obtain the files via other hardware, find the maps etc then the EFILive flashing update is worthless to you so at this point it doesn't make sense to restrict it or charge additional money to tuning shops who wish to offer it. I don't think there is a down side to that (unless you can think of one).

But for those of us who are comfortable with working on electronics and have advanced soldering/mechanical skills, etc and dont mind investing a chunk of change for LML support, it might be an interesting proposition....
    Well, we don't even have the tools here, so there would be not point asking EFILive how it's done. I know it's different to what people are used to and that is what is going to confuse everyone.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Somewhat stupid question.... Since the ability to FLASH the LML's ECM is coming (sorta here), and it's an EDC17, is there any possibility EFILive would also be able to FLASH the ECM in a 2010 TDI Jetta, which near as I can tell is also an EDC17 (Just a different shape, it would seem)?

Lifetime Member

I highly doubt EFILive wants to open up the can of worms as far as giving away that capability to all EFILive customers as a general "update". I cant even imagine how many threads would result in "wait so how do I solder the jumper wire on the PCB??? Can someone make a DIY for this???"

ben
    As we said on facebook Ben, customers can choose what they want to do, we don't control any barriers for people entering the LML market. What does control the market is the time and effort required, along with the financial investment weighed up against the potential return. For many individuals, a $10K outlay, plus 100's of hours trying to find mapping information along with testing is a barrier when compared to purchasing a pre-programmed AutoCal from a tuner who has done the hard yards.

Obviously those scales tip enormously if mapping support is offered, but then what do you think the most common mapping question would be? I'd care to guess it would be functions that by choice we would not offer anyway....

Cheers
    Cindy

Quote Originally Posted by Cougar281 View Post
    Somewhat stupid question.... Since the ability to FLASH the LML's ECM is coming (sorta here), and it's an EDC17, is there any possibility EFILive would also be able to FLASH the ECM in a 2010 TDI Jetta, which near as I can tell is also an EDC17 (Just a different shape, it would seem)?
    there are different variations of the EDC17/tri-core. The LML is an EDC17-CP18. I dont know what the 2.0 CR VW TDI's are. But the injection system looks to be identical to an LML. The injection pump looks just like a CP4.2, except with 1 "cylinder" cut off.
    2005 Silverado, CC/SB, 4x4, LT, LILLY/Allison
    12.9s @ 108 mph

many thanks to Ross and Paul

As was the case with the LBZ/LMM EDC16's, they are used on many Euro cars too, but in manufacturer specific configurations so what works on one doesn't necessarily mean it's work on any version. For example, the EDC16 on the Dodge Sprinters is not the same as the Duramax, quite different in many respects, certainly in the CAN communications area.
    The EDC17 is no different, whilst we can currently still tune the LML version, a number of Euro cars are blocked totally (not even pulling the ECM apart is an option), so for your specific example of the VW, I don't know, it could be open or totally closed off. I am pretty sure it's only the very latest BMW EDC17's that are untunable by any means and as far as I know the VW's, Audi and BMW EDC17's cannot be flashed via the OBD2 port by any tools due to RSA protection (there might be model specific exceptions to that rule), they all require pulling apart and forcing the ECM in to factory boot mode for reading and flashing.

Before anyone asks, this definitely puts the A50 back on the development map.
    Last edited by GMPX; March 8th, 2013 at 06:31 PM.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

The vw TDI in the Jetta is an EDC17 CP 14 (if memory serves). It is tuneable and of course would be a welcome addition to flash support if Ross/Paul wanted to mess with it or have seed/key info on it. I have files and some mapping done for it. /End tangent

Nick

Ok, to put it in perspective, this is the method required to currently read and flash the EDC17 with the Euro tools, this is still required to read the ECM, but now that we have introduced flashing support it means this madness is not needed each time the tune needs to be updated. So although the flashing is only one small part of the equation, you can see why it was pretty important to offer OBD2 flashing support to be able to provide tunes to a mass market. Picture doing this on a $600 LML ECM each time you wanted to tune it. The ECM in the video is from a VW or something like that, but the process is the same for the LML, pretty scary hey.

I don't know if this is the exact process both tuners offering LML tuning use to get the files, it was just a random video I found on YouTube, other competing products would work the same.

I know that one of the guys from H&S hinted that they were using an intercept type of box to intercept the flash instead of opening the ECM. So they would flash it with a TECH 2 or simliar, and put a box inline to intercept the flash to obtain the tune file. Sound like a HUGE grey area to me for a way to obtain the tune file.
    1995 GMC 2500 SUBURBAN powered by 01 DURAMAX/ALLISON, little of this, a little of that,
    DIAMONDEYE 4" exhaust, CORSA muffler, AFE stage 1 dry filter, custom tuning by me, KENNEDY single pump and pump rub kit.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast