Thread: pickup truck ECM/van ECM interchange

Default pickup truck ECM/van ECM interchange

I know the LBZ and LMM ECM's are slightly different and you cant exchange operating systems....but what about the van ECM's?

Are the 06-07 van ECM's the same as the 06-07 LBZ ECM's? If I buy an 06-07 van ECM can I reflash it with a pickup truck OS???

I tried a search but couldnt find anything....

thanks
    ben
    2005 Silverado, CC/SB, 4x4, LT, LILLY/Allison
    12.9s @ 108 mph

many thanks to Ross and Paul

Lifetime Member

There's a guy who has a van who flashed in a pickup OS. The pinouts are slightly different, so he had to move some wires around to match the truck. I don't recall his name, but lotsofmiles probably knows who it was that did it. Long story short, I'm sure the ECMs are the same.

Pussow on DP(the guy who used to sell the conversion disc on Ebay) converted his LBZ van harness to a truck with an ALLISON. Said he had to repin it, and I believe bench flash it but it worked.
    1995 GMC 2500 SUBURBAN powered by 01 DURAMAX/ALLISON, little of this, a little of that,
    DIAMONDEYE 4" exhaust, CORSA muffler, AFE stage 1 dry filter, custom tuning by me, KENNEDY single pump and pump rub kit.

basically what Im asking is, I want to have spare LBZ ECM's here for core exchange when people buy tuning from me.

Looking around, it seems that van ECM's are a little cheaper for some reason. So if I buy a used 06-07 van ECM, flash it with an LBZ pickup truck OS...it will be plug and play into any LBZ pickup?

I know the pinouts are a little different, but is that because the ECM's are PHYSICALLY different inside, or is it just because the van OS and pickup truck OS map out a couple of the pins differently in software???

Ben
    12.9s @ 108 mph

Check with pussow at DP, but I'm 99% certain he said all he had to do was flash it with a truck calibration and his van ECM worked with a truck harness.

Quote Originally Posted by DURAtotheMAX View Post
    basically what Im asking is, I want to have spare LBZ ECM's here for core exchange when people buy tuning from me.

Looking around, it seems that van ECM's are a little cheaper for some reason. So if I buy a used 06-07 van ECM, flash it with an LBZ pickup truck OS...it will be plug and play into any LBZ pickup?

I know the pinouts are a little different, but is that because the ECM's are PHYSICALLY different inside, or is it just because the van OS and pickup truck OS map out a couple of the pins differently in software???

Ben
    1995 GMC 2500 SUBURBAN powered by 01 DURAMAX/ALLISON, little of this, a little of that,
    DIAMONDEYE 4" exhaust, CORSA muffler, AFE stage 1 dry filter, custom tuning by me, KENNEDY single pump and pump rub kit.

Lifetime Member

Ben you should have no problem using them!

It's all within the OS Segments ID on how the stock tune in controlled with the Vin # in TIS. If that makes any sense?
    2011 LML 3500HD CC D/A 4x4
    2006 LBZ 3500 CC D/A 4x4 Sold
    2001 LB7 2500HD D/A 4x4 Sold

awesome, thanks everyone!
    12.9s @ 108 mph

bumping this up to the top again....Im making a standalone harness for a customer, its an LLY/LBZ from a van with a 4L80.

I was thinking of swapping those couple wires around on the harness so I could reflash the ECM to a pickup truck operating system. That way he would be able to have DSP-5. Also, the pickup truck ECM calibration has discrete outputs for speedo and tach. In the vans, speedo/tach info is transmitted to the cluster over Class 2 data. So there are several reasons why Im thinking it would be advantageous to change over to a pickup truck operating system.

My question is....will the pickup truck ECM calibration still communicate properly with the van T42 TCM? Obviously the T42 and the Allison 6-speed TCM are both GMLAN, so the databusses are the same....but I didnt know if there was some "check" or confirmation that the ECM would do before accepting the TCM....

And the other thing, is the factory Espar fuel-fired coolant heater. It interfaces with the ECM over high-speed GMLAN as well to pickup coolant temp, outside ambient temp, and engine-run-flag from the ECM. Will the coolant heater play nicely with a pickup truck ECM calibration?

thanks
    Ben
    12.9s @ 108 mph