Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tune purchasing lockout

Default Tune purchasing lockout

Just a question for the software builders, I have a V2 and have purchased tunes for my 07 5.9Cummins simply because I was not familiar enough with the programming of the engine functions and did not want to break something on this money pit. My question is why can't you make the software have the ability for the tuners to only lock out areas they change instead of the whole tune. Reason I ask is my tuner only works on the engine settings, I have worked with a pro trans shop and I am now capable of changing trans settings along with other changes I like to make to things such as warm up idle, but in order to do these things I have to play the back and forth game with the tuner and thus far it has been a 3 week process to just change 2 things and I want to tweak setting even more but it is just such a pain to do the back and forth thing.
    I do not want to steal my tuners product, so give him the ability to lock out his stuff and give me the ability to use my V2 and control the functions of my truck that he does not mess with. Why lock out the entire tune?

Ross would have to answer on the ins and outs of just locking certain tables. I imagine it would be very hard to implement as every tune file would have to have different tables blocked out. Why not use a stock tune to get the trans shifting the way you want and then send the tune that you build to the tuner so they can copy over the trans tables into their tune.

Anarchy Diesel Tuning/ Advanced Injection Diesel Technologies
    EFI Live Cummins Beta Tester
    Duramax and Cummins Tuning
    423-506-7427

Quote Originally Posted by saintb6969 View Post
    My question is why can't you make the software have the ability for the tuners to only lock out areas they change instead of the whole tune.
    Nobody has ever asked for that before, but it's not a bad idea though. However, it won't be happening any time soon, the foundations of the software was never set up to handle such a thing. We'll consider this as an option for the v8 editor.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

I would support this...plenty of customers want to tailor certain tables for personal liking, but I don't want them to dabble in my work.
    Les Szmidt
    2007 5.9 Dodge Ram
    2014 Ram 3500 Aisin tuning Emissions Equipped
    EFI Live Cummins BETA Tester
    Silver Bullet Tuning
    silverbullettuning@gmail.com
    www.youtube.com/ljszmidt
    http://www.facebook.com/SilverBulletTuninig

Well, like I said, won't be happening in the V7.5 editor, it would be a pretty fundamental change and of course we need to have a think about all the ways people could get around it (and they will try).
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

The easiest solution for this is DON'T buy tunes from someone who locks them. If enough people stick to that then either they will quit locking tunes or go out of business. In the gas world locking tunes isnt accepted by most people so there are very few shops or tuners who lock there gas tunes. For what ever the reason people seem to accept locked tunes in the diesel world all the time. Most of the biggest LSX shops and tuners in the country dont lock there tunes but and have all been in business for years but somehow if a diesel shop doesnt lock there tunes people will steal them. I have yet had a single person convince me of a valid readon to lock a tune.

Quote Originally Posted by minytrker View Post
    The easiest solution for this is DON'T buy tunes from someone who locks them. If enough people stick to that then either they will quit locking tunes or go out of business. In the gas world locking tunes isnt accepted by most people so there are very few shops or tuners who lock there gas tunes. For what ever the reason people seem to accept locked tunes in the diesel world all the time. Most of the biggest LSX shops and tuners in the country dont lock there tunes but and have all been in business for years but somehow if a diesel shop doesnt lock there tunes people will steal them. I have yet had a single person convince me of a valid readon to lock a tune.
    HUNDREDS of hours dialing in tuning...only to have someone get a unlocked tune, run it, screw with it, mess it up and come back and say its your fault their $10,000 motor melted.

Also the internet is a VERY powerful thing...take the above scenario and add in the tuner saying "So you bought my tune, screwed with it, blew your shit up, and you want me to help you? No sorry you are on your own." Then the guy who smoked his engine gets on the inter webs and BLASTS your tuning for melting his motor without telling the truth, only for you to find out 3rd party that this happened, by then your reputation is tarnished from ONE IDIOT.

Im sorry...Ill keep my reputation and shorts with my locked tunes.

Maybe you gasser guys are not quite as vindictive as diesel guys, but its not worth it. And I dont have a tuning BUSINESS, I am strictly WORD OF MOUTH...and one moron saying only his side of the story and ruining what you have worked so hard to achieve...NOT WORTH IT.
    Les Szmidt
    2007 5.9 Dodge Ram
    2014 Ram 3500 Aisin tuning Emissions Equipped
    EFI Live Cummins BETA Tester
    Silver Bullet Tuning
    silverbullettuning@gmail.com
    www.youtube.com/ljszmidt
    http://www.facebook.com/SilverBulletTuninig

Les you are so right

Quote Originally Posted by 2007 5.9 View Post
    HUNDREDS of hours dialing in tuning...only to have someone get a unlocked tune, run it, screw with it, mess it up and come back and say its your fault their $10,000 motor melted.

Also the internet is a VERY powerful thing...take the above scenario and add in the tuner saying "So you bought my tune, screwed with it, blew your shit up, and you want me to help you? No sorry you are on your own." Then the guy who smoked his engine gets on the inter webs and BLASTS your tuning for melting his motor without telling the truth, only for you to find out 3rd party that this happened, by then your reputation is tarnished from ONE IDIOT.

Im sorry...Ill keep my reputation and shorts with my locked tunes.

Maybe you gasser guys are not quite as vindictive as diesel guys, but its not worth it. And I dont have a tuning BUSINESS, I am strictly WORD OF MOUTH...and one moron saying only his side of the story and ruining what you have worked so hard to achieve...NOT WORTH IT.
    I still dont buy it, there are tons of ways a customer could screw up there own vehicle and still blame you. The tune is usually the first thing to be blamed no matter what goes wrong. The exact same thing could happen to a gas tune that isnt locked, guess what it very rarely ever happens. You make it sound like all your diesel customers are criminals just out to screw a tuner over. A locked tune would be harder to defend if someone is bad mouthing your name, you have no way to prove whats really in there since they cant see it. With your locked tune there still is nothing stopping someone from saying your tuned blew there motor and take you to court. I could just as easily add nitrous, change turbo's or anything like that with a locked tune and tear it up and put it all back and blame the tuner, locked tune is a get out of jail free card. I tune gas and duramax and have seen tunes from hundreds of different tuners over the years, never seen a single one I thought was worth "stealing" I know in the diesel world it is easy to re-use a tune than in gas but still its NOT as big a thing as all you guys make it out to be. I know many other tuners who never locked a single tuned and do it for a living with zero advertising. I been doing it for almost 10 years with zero advertising or locked tunes, along with all the other tuners I am friends with.

Please dont take this as a personal attach on you, I am just making generalized statements none of which are about you specifically. A locked tune isnt a saving grace if someone wants to blame your tune for something going wrong. Hundreds of hours developing a tune isnt that big of deal to me, I have years and thousands and thousands of hours developing my method of gas tuning alone. When I tune anything high performance I encourage the customer to buy EFI Live and data log there vehicle all the time. I think its easier to educate a customer than to lock there tune and say its for my protection. I have gained countless customers because there previous tuner (still a few gas tuners locking pcms) locked there pcm and they were not happen with there current performance or drivability. Someone coping or stealing someone elses tunes will not last long and there unhappy customers will speak for themselves. Just something to think about.

For us, the decision is mostly practical. By locking it down, there is much less recurring "nuisance call" work. Nothing is more frustrating than selling a working, refined product to someone who then thinks he is a tuner. There is no way to service the result with any sanity. I then have to make a decision to alienate a customer, or become an education slave, and we don't have the time for the latter. I don't understand the comment that it is easier to educate the customer...not in this life.

We also don't sell EFILIve to anyone who is not wanting to go through the pain of learning how to use it. We made this decision years ago and it will never change for us.

Just this morning had 2 inquiries.

1. One would have liked to have his tuning platform adjustable from the perspective of "I'd like to be able to change my tire size with xyz programmer".

2. The other customer WANTED the ECM locked for dealer flash protection (dealers do unsolicited routine program updates).

I don't think #1 is possible.

We manufactured a few locking obd covers for the other customers but have since run out.
    Michael, Systems Engineer 04.5 D-max LLY, Phoenix, Arizona Email
    Custom Tuning Services
    DURAMAX/CUMMINS ECM's TCM's for sale, all years, 20% wholesale discount available
    EFILive's first VGT "Software Wastegate Tune"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast