Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pid Slelction and Dashboard wont save

Does your login account on this PC have sufficient privileges to be able to read/write files in the folders that EFILive wants to use...?

You might have to do Run As and specify Admin when you run the scantool.

It's my personal computer I have never needed to run anything in admin mode. There is no log in password for my computer.

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Schwanke Engines View Post
    Yes, only on this PC. And yes it runs Windows 7. But so do 3 other computers in the shop that have no issues with it. Its always been an issue on this computer only. I have tried deleting the program and re installing 3 times also no fix with that.
    When you re-install the V7 software and it asks do you want to clear the registry settings, select [Yes]. That will reset all the dashboard settings to their defaults.

Or you can do that manually by closing all EFILive software, running regedit and deleting the following registry key:
    \\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\EFILive\V7.5
    Next time you start EFILive it will recreate the registry settings from its built in defaults.

Note: To run regedit click the start button, type regedit in the search box and then click on the regedit shortcut that is displayed.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

I am having a very similar issue. More specifically, when I save a vdp or vdb in a new folder (one that I have being backed up from my laptop) it appears that it saves, but never creates a file in the specified location.
    2006 Ford F250 Super Duty, 2008 Cummins 6.7, Allison 1000 5spd
    2011 Ford F250 Super Duty, 6.7L Scorpion

Quote Originally Posted by beav View Post
    I am having a very similar issue. More specifically, when I save a vdp or vdb in a new folder (one that I have being backed up from my laptop) it appears that it saves, but never creates a file in the specified location.
    Yup, over and over again... Make a new folder, save it there and poof! Nothing, it ends up somewhere else.

Dashboards and dash pages will always and only be saved in the folder defined under the VDash folder setting in the Properties Window.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vdash_folder.png 
Views:	189 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	15394

Regards
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
    Dashboards and dash pages will always and only be saved in the folder defined under the VDash folder setting in the Properties Window.

Regards
    Paul
    So I will write this off as a feature request then... ;-)

Thanks!
    2006 Ford F250 Super Duty, 2008 Cummins 6.7, Allison 1000 5spd
    2011 Ford F250 Super Duty, 6.7L Scorpion

Quote Originally Posted by Blacky View Post

Regards
    Paul
    Ahhh! That's why all my dashboards dissapear! Can you fix that? Even if you choose to put it in a separate folder there, it still refuses and puts it in main folder.

Just tried this with a default dash and lost another default dash.

Open a default dash, change all the gauges to proper for that controller. You can change a gauge on a dashboard and Save As and start a new theme, new folder and name it Vortec, LS1b, etc... so you have them all lined up for whatever controller. Then save the dashboard to that same folder and POOF! It's gone to main folder?

So now you've spent all that time to make a new dashboard with new gauges and save it with same default name and POOF! The original is gone... and you have no idea where all the work on new dashboard went? Defaults no longer work properly...

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    Ahhh! That's why all my dashboards dissapear! Can you fix that? Even if you choose to put it in a separate folder there, it still refuses and puts it in main folder.

Just tried this with a default dash and lost another default dash.

Open a default dash, change all the gauges to proper for that controller. You can change a gauge on a dashboard and Save As and start a new theme, new folder and name it Vortec, LS1b, etc... so you have them all lined up for whatever controller. Then save the dashboard to that same folder and POOF! It's gone to main folder?

So now you've spent all that time to make a new dashboard with new gauges and save it with same default name and POOF! The original is gone... and you have no idea where all the work on new dashboard went? Defaults no longer work properly...
    If you do this and save it with same default name then of course it will overwrite the existing dashboard.

The following scenarios (when tested here) work correctly:

Scenario 1:
    1. Load the Default Metric dashboard.
    2. Use the "Save As" option to save that dashboard with a new name.
    3. Make changes to the dashboard.

Both the existing Default Metric dashboard and the new dashboard exist in the "VDash" folder.

Scenario 2:
    1. Load the Default Metric dashboard.
    2. Change the VDash property setting to C:\Temp
    3. Use the "Save As" option to save that dashboard with a new name.
    4. Make changes to the dashboard.

The existing Default Metric dashboard still exists in the original VDash folder, the new dashboard exists in the the new "VDash" folder C:\Temp.

Regards
    Paul
    Last edited by Blacky; June 23rd, 2013 at 10:39 AM.

So I will write this off as a feature request then... ;-)

Thanks!
    The way it currently works in V7 is too complicated, but its the best that could be done with the constraints of backward compatibility and legacy design.

The new V8 software saves all dashboards, charts, maps, PID selections etc in a single *.dsh file. That file can be opened/saved anywhere without restriction.
    Sharing dashboards with other users will be as simple as sharing/copying a single *.dsh file.

Regars
    Paul

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast