Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pid Slelction and Dashboard wont save

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
    If you do this and save it with same default name then of course it will overwrite the existing dashboard.

The following scenarios (when tested here) work correctly:

Scenario 1:
    1. Load the Default Metric dashboard.
    2. Make changes to the dashboard.
    3. Use the "Save As" option to save that dashboard with a new name.

Both the existing Default Metric dashboard and the new dashboard exist in the "VDash" folder.

Scenario 2:
    2. Change the VDash property setting to C:\Temp
    3. Make changes to the dashboard.
    4. Use the "Save As" option to save that dashboard with a new name.

The existing Default Metric dashboard still exists in the original VDash folder, the new dashboard exists in the the new "VDash" folder C:\Temp.

Regards
    Paul
    Sorry, I made a mistake in the order of the item above. You must use the "Save As" option to save the dash before you make changes to it. That is because changes to the charts and gauges on each dash page are written back to their files immediately. So by using the Save as option you have created a copy of the dashboard and all changes are then made to the copy (not the original).

They scenario actions should be ordered like this:

Scenario 1:
    2. Use the "Save As" option to save that dashboard with a new name.
    3. Make changes to the dashboard.

Both the existing Default Metric dashboard and the new dashboard exist in the "VDash" folder.

Scenario 2:
    2. Change the VDash property setting to C:\Temp
    3. Use the "Save As" option to save that dashboard with a new name.
    4. Make changes to the dashboard.

The existing Default Metric dashboard still exists in the original VDash folder, the new dashboard exists in the the new "VDash" folder C:\Temp.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

This document explains creating/modifying dashboards in more detail
    http://download.efilive.com/Tutorial...20Tutorial.pdf

P.S. If you ever mess up the default dashboards and want to get them back to installation defaults, just select the menu option: Dashboard -> Recall Installation Defaults.

Regards
    Paul

The way it currently works in V7 is too complicated, but its the best that could be done with the constraints of backward compatibility and legacy design.

The new V8 software saves all dashboards, charts, maps, PID selections etc in a single *.dsh file. That file can be opened/saved anywhere without restriction.
    Sharing dashboards with other users will be as simple as sharing/copying a single *.dsh file.

Regars
    Paul
    Thanks Paul! I can certainly appreciate the difficulties in development. I am a software engineer and understand how backwards compatibility is hard to cover sometimes.
    2006 Ford F250 Super Duty, 2008 Cummins 6.7, Allison 1000 5spd
    2011 Ford F250 Super Duty, 6.7L Scorpion

If you do this and save it with same default name then of course it will overwrite the existing dashboard.

Regards
    Paul
    But I saved it in a different folder! So why would it overwrite one in another folder? The goal was default metric/imperial/mpg/VE/MAF/etc... for all controllers by name. This way I can duplicate my dashboards for anything and always have the familiarity!

The glitch was EFI Live would never save a dashboard to a folder inside the main folder... like any other windows software. Now that I know it can't? Or won't? I can try again.

As always I appreciate the effort given to explain and detailed instructions!

The way it currently works in V7 is too complicated, but its the best that could be done with the constraints of backward compatibility and legacy design.

The new V8 software saves all dashboards, charts, maps, PID selections etc in a single *.dsh file. That file can be opened/saved anywhere without restriction.
    Sharing dashboards with other users will be as simple as sharing/copying a single *.dsh file.

Regars
    Paul
    Wish it were only dashboards.

Is V8 ready to use yet?

This document explains creating/modifying dashboards in more detail
    http://download.efilive.com/Tutorial...20Tutorial.pdf

P.S. If you ever mess up the default dashboards and want to get them back to installation defaults, just select the menu option: Dashboard -> Recall Installation Defaults.

Regards
    Paul
    Is that Tutorial accurate for what software? Build? V8? V2? V1? Drivers? V7.5? BBL? Firmware? Bootloader version? Updates? Firmaware programmer? EFI Live Control panel? EFI Live USB manager? EFI Live Explorer? EFI Live Scan and Tune? Do I have to uninstal? Reinstall? Can I go backwards if if does not work? Any links?

Sorry but have wasted so much time on tutorials that are still there and were outdated by updates I don't read them anymore. Tech support is always accurate!

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    But I saved it in a different folder! So why would it overwrite one in another folder? The goal was default metric/imperial/mpg/VE/MAF/etc... for all controllers by name. This way I can duplicate my dashboards for anything and always have the familiarity!

The glitch was EFI Live would never save a dashboard to a folder inside the main folder... like any other windows software. Now that I know it can't? Or won't? I can try again.

As always I appreciate the effort given to explain and detailed instructions!
    If you want to make a copy of an existing dashboard with a new name without altering the existing dashboard: You must use the "Save As" option to save the dash before you make changes to it.

Regards
    Paul

Wish it were only dashboards.
    Why? The gauges, charts and maps are all interdependent and are intimately tied to the PID selection. All of those items need to be treated as a single configuration.
    When the V8 Scan Tool is fully operational, there will be options available to make it easy to copy/paste gauges, charts, maps and PID settings between dashboards.
    Is V8 ready to use yet?
    You can use the Scan Tool to view existing log files.
    Pass-thru logging for V8 is in development.

Is that Tutorial accurate for what software? Build? V8? V2? V1? Drivers? V7.5? BBL? Firmware? Bootloader version? Updates? Firmaware programmer? EFI Live Control panel? EFI Live USB manager? EFI Live Explorer? EFI Live Scan and Tune? Do I have to uninstal? Reinstall? Can I go backwards if if does not work? Any links?
    The turotial is accurate for the current V7 scan tool only.

Regards
    Paul

You must use the "Save As" option to save the dash before you make changes to it.
    This is what I have been doing all along (for years now).

If you want to make a copy of an existing dashboard with a new name without altering the existing dashboard: You must use the "Save As" option to save the dash before you make changes to it.

Regards
    Paul
    OK, but it would be the only software in the world (all, not just tuning) that will not save as after changes are made. Why save as before changes are made? Is this a MAC thing or the way it's done in other countries? It's just foreign?

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    This is what I have been doing all along (for years now).
    Probably why you have all the answers we all need! But this is your full time job, it's like a full time job for people to figure out and shouldn't be. Windows software for the world does A, EFI Live does B... or C... or... ? Tech support!!!!

Still won't Save As in a folder? Why? What is the purpose of folders if you can't put the dashboards in with the gauges or themes as they start out as?

I appreciate you guys telling me how it works. I hope you appreciate me telling you it needs fixed. Don't just take my word, read all the threads for years with same issues.

OK, but it would be the only software in the world (all, not just tuning) that will not save as after changes are made. Why save as before changes are made? Is this a MAC thing or the way it's done in other countries? It's just foreign?
    I agree it is the wrong way to do it. I wasn't trying to explain how it was done as "this is the correct way to do it", just trying to explain what you'll need to do to get around the problem.
    I don't know if it can be fixed but I'll take a look.

Regads
    Paul

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast