Thread: Problems with speedometer

Default Problems with speedometer

So i was tuning a lbz truck today and it had 40 in tires on it. went through the process of changing the info so that it would be right. I got it dead on but problem is that as soon as the speedometer would get over 65 mph it would just drop to zero. then when we slowed down once we got to 25 it would pick it back up and then start to work again till 65 again. i thought that maybe the cluster was going bad but i reset his speedometer back to what it was when he showed up and we ran it to 100mph no problem never kick off or anything. has anybody else had this problem and if so have you been able to fix it. i have done tons of truck none with tires quite this big but never ran into this problem. thanks for reading hope you can help.
    Just some guy

also i have had problems with abs light kicking on after i tune trucks is there a trick to this. they go away after awhile but customers always complain and would be nice if it didn't happen. seems real hit and miss on which trucks do it.
    Just some guy

BOSCH ECM's don't play well with the ABS when you go over a 35" tall tire calibration. You can set it for a 35" tall tire and call it as close as your going tto get it to work without the ABS getting PO'D.
    1995 GMC 2500 SUBURBAN powered by 01 DURAMAX/ALLISON, little of this, a little of that,
    DIAMONDEYE 4" exhaust, CORSA muffler, AFE stage 1 dry filter, custom tuning by me, KENNEDY single pump and pump rub kit.

Default Problems with speedometer

Have you tried messing with the gear ratio instead of the revs per mile?

sorry for taking so long. no i have had the abs lights come on even when i never even mess with the tire calibrations. and yes i did try with the gear ratios as well. seemed that no matter what i did once i started getting close just would cut out. thanks for the idea though. i take it nobody has actually had this problem. thefermanator i take it you have dealt with tall tires before have you ever ran into the speedos dieing like that.
    Just some guy

Lifetime Member

You cant program the ECM with anything larger than 35" tires, you WILL get a ABS light. This is a Bosch issue, not a GM issue so it's a quirk that wont/cant be fixed, unfortunately.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

I tried it on my trucks and you just have to keep it at 35 inch tires for everything to work without troubles.

ok thanks for getting back with me good to know i can relay the information.
    Just some guy

It is probably a cluster issue.
    Michael, Systems Engineer 04.5 D-max LLY, Phoenix, Arizona Email
    Custom Tuning Services
    DURAMAX/CUMMINS ECM's TCM's for sale, all years, 20% wholesale discount available
    EFILive's first VGT "Software Wastegate Tune"