Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4l60e manual shift tune?

Default 4l60e manual shift tune?

Here is the story. Frankenstein samurai project with 98 blazer engine/ tranny/ frame, 92 1-ton axles, 87 samurai body.

This is a budget build and I do not care to do major work to the transmission right now.

I would like to modify the tune so it only shifts when I tell it to with my ratchet shifter. Would also like a reverse shift pattern. How do I tune it to do what I say when I say. Keep in mind I have no experience tuning transmissions.

Thanks

Default 4l60e manual shift tune?

Back story.

this is my budget samurai build. AKA Frankenstein Samurai. The engine, transmission and frame are from a 98 Blazer. Axles are from a 92 1-ton with 3.73:1 gears.

Questions...
    1. Can I tune the computer to only have it shift when I hit the ratchet?

2. Can I tune the computer so it has a reverse shift pattern? Better for using a ratchet shifter.

3. Will not having a Speedo pickup be a problem?

I have no experience tuning transmissions so all help is great. It will get a manual valve body if I have to do a rebuild, just trying to keep my expenses down for now.

1. No. The PCM decides when to shift based on the tables. The manual lever selects the range of gears that the PCM can shift thru.

2. No.

3. Yes. VSS is required because PCM uses VSS in shift tables.

Sounds like you want a RMVB (reverse manual valve body).

Default Re: 4l60e manual shift tune?

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    1. No. The PCM decides when to shift based on the tables. The manual lever selects the range of gears that the PCM can shift thru.

2. No.

3. Yes. VSS is required because PCM uses VSS in shift tables.

Sounds like you want a RMVB (reverse manual valve body).
    Yeah thought this might be the case. Followed lots of your threads Joel thanks for the input.

Joecar
    Is there an output shaft sensor of any kind that I could use as the signal for the Speedo?

I don't care about having a speedometer just need the tranny to function. The t-case allows me to run front and rear independently so the t-case output will not work.

There should be an output sensor on the trans somewhere, it should be a 40 x (40 puilse per rev) reluctor.

You can install a Transgo HDS shift kit. It allows you to hold any gear to any rpm. Stock the trans will upshift on its own and you cant hold 1st to rev limit. STock you can hold 2nd to redline. The kit will allow downshift to any rpm.
    Stock the 4l60e has 2nd gear start capability, so yuou can start form a stop in 2nd gear, if you apply throttle over roughly 87.5% it will downshift to 1st at low speed.T
    Transgo also offers a full manual valvebody, what gear the selector is in, is what gear the trans is in. That sounds like what you really want. With manual valvebody, I'm not sure you even need the elctronics. But I'm not sure how line pressure would be controlled, unless you added a vacuum modulator.

Here is the HD2 kit. trans in D trans shifts automatically, but allows any gear to be held to rev iimit
    http://transgoonline.com/products.ph...dcountview=Yes

here is the full manual kit allows 4l60e install with no electronics. This kit does come with the vacuum mode line pressure kit.
    http://transgoonline.com/products.ph...dcountview=Yes

Without the speed sensor, is your L35 Vortec V6 able to rev over 2000rpm? I have heqard of issues with not having the VSS hooked up can cause a rev imiter to not allow revs over 2000 rpm.

peace
    Hog
    1997 rcsb stock L31 longblock, Marine Intake with 28# EV6 injectors, L35 2700 stall TC,Hooker LT's 2.007 60ft

4L60e should already have a output shaft speed sensor in them on the right side of the box near the extension housing pretty sure thats what the pcm takes vehicle speed from and the wheel speed sensors are just for abs

Hog

I'm trying to not dump money into the transmission yet. I will probably end up going with a manual valve body but hoping to just keep it as is for now.

Does transfer case have a speed sensor...?

No
    I am wondering how the 2wd trucks were setup.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast