Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: EFILive RC 4 (April 10, 2013)

I have a 2000 Pontiac GTP that I just read the ECU were am I supposed to send the file? Any word on tuning support for this ECU?

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nm2769 View Post
    I have a 2000 Pontiac GTP that I just read the ECU were am I supposed to send the file? Any word on tuning support for this ECU?
    Send it to me at paul@efilive.com
    Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

File sent

Quote Originally Posted by Cougar281 View Post
    Have an issue installing the RCs. My 'My Documents' folder, among others, is redirected to a network location.

When I try to install the RC's, I'm getting the following errors:

V7:
    Setup Can not create the following folder:
    \\Domain path\users\%username%\Documents\EFILive\V7.5\Bins\ Custom OS

V8:
    Setup Can not create the following folder:
    \\Domain path\users\%username%\Documents\EFILive\V8\Config

This has been the case for every RC I've tried to install.
    I logged this with Indigo Rose as a problem with their installer.
    Their reply was: The network share on which the My Documents folder resides is accessible by the currently logged in user. When the installer starts, it elevates itself (by asking you for a password) to an admin account. The elevated admin account does not have access to the network share and so the install fails. More information here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937624

I struggle to understand how a standard user can have access to something but an admin user with elevated privileges does not. This was the articel that I was told to read for a better understanding of what is actually happening.
    I'm still waiting for a better work around for the problem, but there may not be one. Sorry that this has bitten you in the ass, but Microsoft's UAC security system is not easy to figure out or to implement against.

Regards
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
    I re-posted the email that I sent to you here:
    http://forum.efilive.com/showthread....NT-INFORMATION
    Other users may run into the same issue...

Regards
    Paul
    Problem solved- USB driver problm
    Not sure what happened between RC 3 and RC4.
    Thanks
    2011 VE SSV 419 + CAM + Whipple 2.9FF SC + PPV front struts + Bilstein rear shocks + 6L90E with single piece carbon fiber prop

Quote Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
    I logged this with Indigo Rose as a problem with their installer.
    Their reply was: The network share on which the My Documents folder resides is accessible by the currently logged in user. When the installer starts, it elevates itself (by asking you for a password) to an admin account. The elevated admin account does not have access to the network share and so the install fails. More information here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937624

I struggle to understand how a standard user can have access to something but an admin user with elevated privileges does not. This was the articel that I was told to read for a better understanding of what is actually happening.
    I'm still waiting for a better work around for the problem, but there may not be one. Sorry that this has bitten you in the ass, but Microsoft's UAC security system is not easy to figure out or to implement against.

Regards
    Paul
    The only way I can see the admin account not having rights to the network share is if it's a local admin account. That's likely what it is running as.

I agree 200% that MS's UAC is a pain, and it's useless, quite frankly. Also, unlike in Win7, in Win8, when you 'disable' it, it's never actually disabled (Try opening the hosts file directly with notepad while logged in as an admin user and saving it, rather than right-click notepad and run as administrator and opening it that way)

Since it's the installer doing it, I would say it's not your issue to fix, but these installer companies need to get on the ball if they want to stay around.

Lifetime Member

This has been from quite a while ago!
    "All that is needed for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing..."

Since it's the installer doing it, I would say it's not your issue to fix, but these installer companies need to get on the ball if they want to stay around.
    There is a kludge you could try if you really need to install it to a network share.

Log in as an administrator account and install the software "for all users".
    Copy the entire \My Documents\EFILive\V8 folder tree to someplace where a normal user can access it.
    Log out and log back in as the standard user.
    Copy the saved My Documents\EFILive\V8 folder tree to the user's My Documents network folder.

I have not tested that, but I can't see why it would not work.

Regards
    Paul

I've been through 3 different installer companies in the past few years:
    InstallAware - too crappy and too hard to use.
    Pantaray QSetup - good, but not good enough support for incremental updates.
    Indigo Rose Setup Factory - very, very good, just this issue so far.

There is a solution that I can deploy (suggested by Indigo Rose support) . Install all the files that would normally be installed into "My Documents" into a read-only holding area in Program Files. Then when the software starts for the first time (while running as the actual user) and it finds that the user's "My Documents\EFILive\V8" folder does not exist, it just copies the entire My Documents folder from the "read-only holding area".

It is probably a better solution that what I am doing now. Because any time a new user is created and you run the software under that new user, the My Documents\EFILive\V8 folder will be created and populated. Currently if you install the software, then create a new user the new user's "My Documents\EFILive\V8" folder will not exist.

Regards
    Paul

I'll chip in here as im a windows syadmin..

The reason the program wont have access to the redirected my docs, is generally a permissions issue on the users folder. Depending on how the base mydoc folder was created on the server it may not have permissions for sub-folders. for example

It admin setups up a folder on say the d: of a server called user-data d:\user-data\ within this directory will be all the username folders of all the users in which "my documents" redirects to. Generally only the account who setup the base folder will have access to the sub folders along with the user who "owns" the folder. So if your using a different admin account then the one specifically used, it wont work, especially if your supplying elevated privileges for a local admin (local pc) and not a domain admin account.

(share permissions are not going to affect the file system permissions, generally the share can be set to full control for everyone, it'll still limit to local file level permissions)

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast