Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: EFILive RC 4 (April 10, 2013)

Lifetime Member

If someone has an autocal from one tuner and decides to switch to another tuner, will the tunes on the autocal from the original tuner still have the ability to be flashed after it has been linked to the new tuner?

Auto locking - does that lock the ecm so that it cannot be flashed over with another tune, or just so that it cannot be read out?

Quote Originally Posted by ATPCummins View Post
    Auto locking - does that lock the ecm so that it cannot be flashed over with another tune, or just so that it cannot be read out?
    That depends on the ECM type.
    Bosch or Cummins ECM's will only be blocked from being read out, they can still be flashed over.
    Delphi ECM's (LB7/LLY) will be blocked from reading or flashing.
    There's not a lot we can do about that, it's just how the ECM's are designed by each manufacturer.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Lifetime Member

If someone has an autocal from one tuner and decides to switch to another tuner, will the tunes on the autocal from the original tuner still have the ability to be flashed after it has been linked to the new tuner?

I've put together a FAQ document that I'll send those customers that purchase AutoCal through us. It's probably still a couple of days away at this point.

The answer to your question is that once the AutoCal has been Flashed with the new tuners tunes, the original tuners files can no longer be flashed. You won't need to worry about end users keeping copies of your tunes if they decide to switch.

That said, the process for relinking requires some education. Once you unlink the AutoCal there are 2 methods to relink.

1. The tuner connects the AutoCal device to a FlashScan V2 device and selects the link option, or
    2. The tuner sends a file that was "saved for AutoCal" to the customer and the end user flashes that file into their vehicle.

Tuners and end users should note that if the end user re-flashes a tune file made by the original tuner after unlinking, but prior to flashing a file made by a subsequent tuner, then the AutoCal will be relinked to the original tuners FlashScan V2 device.

Unlinking is just the first step to a customer moving on, it's the subsequent Flash to the new tuners tunes that completes the changeover.

Cheers
    Cindy

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    Bosch or Cummins ECM's will only be blocked from being read out, they can still be flashed over.
    There's not a lot we can do about that, it's just how the ECM's are designed by each manufacturer.
    Thanks for clearing that up.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by cindy@efilive View Post
    I've put together a FAQ document that I'll send those customers that purchase AutoCal through us. It's probably still a couple of days away at this point.

The answer to your question is thatonce the AutoCal has been Flashed with the new tuners tunes, the original tuners files can no longer be flashed. You won't need to worry about end users keeping copies of your tunes if they decide to switch.

That said, the process for relinking requires some education. Once you unlink the AutoCal there are 2 methods to relink.

1. The tuner connects the AutoCal device to a FlashScan V2 device and selects the link option, or
    2. The tuner sends a file that was "saved for AutoCal" to the customer and the end user flashes that file into their vehicle.

Tuners and end users should note that if the end user re-flashes a tune file made by the original tuner after unlinking, but prior to flashing a file made by a subsequent tuner, then the AutoCal will be relinked to the original tuners FlashScan V2 device.

Cheers
    Cindy
    What if the end user tries to flash a tune from the "old" tuner after it has been linked to the "new" tuner?
    Last edited by ATPCummins; April 18th, 2013 at 10:48 AM.

Lifetime Member

I edited my post Mike so you may need to re-read it given you've quoted the original text. It still means the same, just worded it a little differently.

Cheers
    Cindy

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by cindy@efilive View Post
    I edited my post Mike so you may need to re-read it given you've quoted the original text. It still means the same, just worded it a little differently.

Cheers
    Cindy
    I was editing my post while you were editing your post lol.

Lifetime Member

What if the end user tries to flash a tune from the "old" tuner after it has been linked to the "new" tuner?
    It will fail, just like it would now if someone else tried to flash any AutoCal you have sent an end user. The AutoCal licensing details are attached to the FlashScan device, if that device number doesn't match it can't be flashed. All we've done is implement a method where with tuner consent, the FlashScan V2 license details can be changed.

Mike, another consideration that I didn't post about initially is stock files.

Tuners should implement a process to ensure the end user’s stock file is converted from the original FlashScan V2 to the new FlashScan V2. Failing to do so will prevent end users from flashing their stock tune.

Cheers
    Cindy
    Last edited by cindy@efilive; April 18th, 2013 at 12:56 PM.

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    Just a further clarification on this...

If you use the auto-lock feature which is currently only available for E38, E54 (i.e. LB7) and E60 (i.e. LLY) then you can (or your customers can) flash over the top of the locked tune without having to "unlock" it.
    How it works is like this:

You send your customer a tune that has the auto-lock flag set, EFILive flashes the new tune and locks the controller (and remembers the key that was used to lock the controller).

If anyone tries to read the controller it will always report "controller locked", so no-one can read the tune unless they have the key, but only the AutoCal (and the tuner's FlashScan) devices know the key.

If anyone tries to flash over the tune one of two things will happen:

1. If the flash attempt is made using the AutoCal that was used to flash the auto-locked file or the FlashScan that was used to create the auto-lock file (either pass-thru or standalone) then the flash will be successful. That is because the AutoCal and FlashScan devices know the key and they will allow the controller to be unlocked if it is being re-flashed.
      If it was flashed with a file that also has the auto-lock flag set then the controller will remain locked after the flash.
      If it was flashed with a file that does not have the auto-lock flag set then the controller will be unlocked after the flash.
    2. If the attempt is made with another tuning package or with an AutoCal or FlashScan device that was not involved in the creation/flashing of the auto-lock file then the flash will be denied and an "ECM is locked" error will be displayed.

That allows a user to flash his vehicle back to stock at any time without having to wait for the tuner to do it for him - even if the tuner has locked the ECM.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Lifetime Member

Thank you for your help Cindy, and Paul.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast