Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: FlashScan/AutoCal USB Drivers: IMPORTANT INFORMATION

  1. #1
    EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    9,119

    Default FlashScan/AutoCal USB Drivers: IMPORTANT INFORMATION

    The USB driver and library version numbers used by FTDIChip (the company that makes the USB components for FlashScan/AutoCal and who provide the USB drivers) are a complete mess. The following explanation tries to show what the version numbers mean in relation to the EFILive software.

    EFILive ships with four USB driver versions:
    1. one for older Windows systems like Win95/Win98 (no longer supported)
    2. one for Windows 2K (no longer supported)
    3. one for Win XP-Vista-7 (the "old" version)
    4. one for Win XP-Vista-7-8 (the "latest" version)


    EFILive highly recommends using the latest USB drivers (V2.08.28) that are automatically installed when you download and install V7.5.7.231 (or later) and/or V8.2.2.225 (or later).
    You MUST use the latest drivers with the latest EFILive software (i.e. anything later than V7.5.7.231 and V8.2.2.225), attempting to use an older USB version with the latest EFILive software will result in many, many errors.

    If you experience problems using the latest drivers with older versions of the EFILive software, you may need to downgrade to a previous driver version.

    The Win2K driver has the following internal version number that FTDI use as the "release" version number as shown in the ftdibus.inf file: DriverVer=06/27/2007, 2.02.04
    The older WinXP-Vista-7 driver has the following internal version number that FTDI use as the "release" version number as shown in the ftdibus.inf file: DriverVer=03/18/2011, 2.08.14
    The latest WinXP-Vista-7-8 driver has the following internal version number that FTDI use as the "release" version number as shown in the ftdibus.inf file: DriverVer=01/18/2013, 2.08.28

    Those are the three version numbers that appear on the buttons in the EFILive USB Manager program.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	usb1.PNG 
Views:	531 
Size:	12.9 KB 
ID:	15047

    However, when the user goes into the EFILive HAPI control panel window the versions show up quite differently. These version values are reported by the FTDI supplied API to the currently installed drivers. The EFILive software is merely reporting the version numbers that the FTDI software provides. The "USB Driver Version" refers to the actual driver version number, the "USB Library Version" refers to the version of the ftd2xx.dll which is the driver API supplied by FTDI.


    When the WinXP driver with version number V2.08.28 is installed, HAPI will show the following numbers:
    USB Driver Version: 02.08.40
    USB Library Version: 03.02.07
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	usb4.PNG 
Views:	690 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	15048


    When the WinXP driver with version number V2.08.14 is installed, HAPI will show the following numbers:
    USB Driver Version: 02.08.20
    USB Library Version: 03.02.04
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	usb2.PNG 
Views:	456 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	14840


    When the Win2K driver with version number V2.04.02 is installed, HAPI will show the following numbers:
    USB Driver Version: 04.00.00
    USB Library Version: 03.01.18
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	usb3.PNG 
Views:	413 
Size:	71.3 KB 
ID:	14839


    When changing between the old and new drivers using the EFILive USB Manager software it is advisable to restart/reboot the computer after the user has unplugged and replugged his FlashScan/AutoCal. Otherwise if the driver dll has already been loaded (due to running EFILive anytime during the current Windows up-time) the dll will not be "changed over" to the newly installed version. That will result in a version mismatch between the USB driver and the support dll. It could be the cause of weird and wonderful USB related problems.

    The replugging of the FlashScan/AutoCal device is required, it causes Windows to actually attempt to install the driver that was simply made available (i.e. added to the driver database) by the EFILive USB Manager program. If you don't connect FlashScan/AutoCal before restarting, you will most likely have to restart again after Windows installs the driver when you connect FlashScan/AutoCal after the restart.

    So even if Windows does not prompt the user to restart their system, it is probably a good idea to restart if/when you change USB drivers.

    And always remember that the USB Manager program must be run "As Administrator", by right clicking on it's start menu icon and selecting "Run as Administrator".
    Last edited by Blacky; May 14th, 2013 at 03:47 PM.
    Before asking for help, please read this.

  2. #2
    Member JST's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    63

    Default USB Code 43

    Quote Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
    The USB driver and library version numbers used by FTDIChip (the company that makes the USB components for FlashScan/AutoCal and who provide the USB drivers) are a complete mess. The following explanation tries to show what the version numbers mean in relation to the EFILive software.

    EFILive ships with four USB driver versions:
    1. one for older Windows systems like Win95/Win98 (no longer supported)
    2. one for Windows 2K (no longer supported)
    3. one for Win XP-Vista-7 (the "old" version)
    4. one for Win XP-Vista-7-8 (the "latest" version)


    EFILive highly recommends using the latest USB drivers (V2.08.28) that are automatically installed when you download and install V7.5.7.231 (or later) and/or V8.2.2.225 (or later).
    You MUST use the latest drivers with the latest EFILive software (i.e. anything later than V7.5.7.231 and V8.2.2.225), attempting to use an older USB version with the latest EFILive software will result in many, many errors.

    If you experience problems using the latest drivers with older versions of the EFILive software, you may need to downgrade to a previous driver version.

    The Win2K driver has the following internal version number that FTDI use as the "release" version number as shown in the ftdibus.inf file: DriverVer=06/27/2007, 2.02.04
    The older WinXP-Vista-7 driver has the following internal version number that FTDI use as the "release" version number as shown in the ftdibus.inf file: DriverVer=03/18/2011, 2.08.14
    The latest WinXP-Vista-7-8 driver has the following internal version number that FTDI use as the "release" version number as shown in the ftdibus.inf file: DriverVer=01/18/2013, 2.08.28

    Those are the three version numbers that appear on the buttons in the EFILive USB Manager program.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	usb1.PNG 
Views:	531 
Size:	12.9 KB 
ID:	15047

    However, when the user goes into the EFILive HAPI control panel window the versions show up quite differently. These version values are reported by the FTDI supplied API to the currently installed drivers. The EFILive software is merely reporting the version numbers that the FTDI software provides. The "USB Driver Version" refers to the actual driver version number, the "USB Library Version" refers to the version of the ftd2xx.dll which is the driver API supplied by FTDI.


    When the WinXP driver with version number V2.08.28 is installed, HAPI will show the following numbers:
    USB Driver Version: 02.08.40
    USB Library Version: 03.02.07
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	usb4.PNG 
Views:	690 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	15048


    When the WinXP driver with version number V2.08.14 is installed, HAPI will show the following numbers:
    USB Driver Version: 02.08.20
    USB Library Version: 03.02.04
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	usb2.PNG 
Views:	456 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	14840


    When the Win2K driver with version number V2.04.02 is installed, HAPI will show the following numbers:
    USB Driver Version: 04.00.00
    USB Library Version: 03.01.18
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	usb3.PNG 
Views:	413 
Size:	71.3 KB 
ID:	14839


    When changing between the old and new drivers using the EFILive USB Manager software it is advisable to restart/reboot the computer after the user has unplugged and replugged his FlashScan/AutoCal. Otherwise if the driver dll has already been loaded (due to running EFILive anytime during the current Windows up-time) the dll will not be "changed over" to the newly installed version. That will result in a version mismatch between the USB driver and the support dll. It could be the cause of weird and wonderful USB related problems.

    The replugging of the FlashScan/AutoCal device is required, it causes Windows to actually attempt to install the driver that was simply made available (i.e. added to the driver database) by the EFILive USB Manager program. If you don't connect FlashScan/AutoCal before restarting, you will most likely have to restart again after Windows installs the driver when you connect FlashScan/AutoCal after the restart.

    So even if Windows does not prompt the user to restart their system, it is probably a good idea to restart if/when you change USB drivers.

    And always remember that the USB Manager program must be run "As Administrator", by right clicking on it's start menu icon and selecting "Run as Administrator".
    Getting a USB code 43 when plugged in to any of my computers ?
    2002 GMC 2500HD 4x4 SCLB STOCK MOTOR WITH TOMAN TUNING,FASS 150, M/A TRANS,12.3 ON A GOOD DAY IT'S MY WORK TRUCK,19 TO 21 MPG WITH ME DRIVING,THE TRUCK (OLD RED )HAS 490,000 MILE AND LOVING IT,265/75/16

  3. #3
    Joe (Moderator) joecar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    27,785

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JST View Post
    Getting a USB code 43 when plugged in to any of my computers ?
    Are you saying you see USB code 43 on all of your PC's...?

  4. #4
    Member JST's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    63

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    Are you saying you see USB code 43 on all of your PC's...?
    Yes
    2002 GMC 2500HD 4x4 SCLB STOCK MOTOR WITH TOMAN TUNING,FASS 150, M/A TRANS,12.3 ON A GOOD DAY IT'S MY WORK TRUCK,19 TO 21 MPG WITH ME DRIVING,THE TRUCK (OLD RED )HAS 490,000 MILE AND LOVING IT,265/75/16

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    94

    Default

    If you are using Windows 7, here is a you-tube fix CODE 43 Error fixing method for windows 7 64 bit and 32bit ...

  6. #6
    Member JST's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    63

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gordy M View Post
    If you are using Windows 7, here is a you-tube fix CODE 43 Error fixing method for windows 7 64 bit and 32bit ...
    I got it fixed ? it was snowing yesterday and I think I got water in it , put it in front of the heater last night and all is good ?
    2002 GMC 2500HD 4x4 SCLB STOCK MOTOR WITH TOMAN TUNING,FASS 150, M/A TRANS,12.3 ON A GOOD DAY IT'S MY WORK TRUCK,19 TO 21 MPG WITH ME DRIVING,THE TRUCK (OLD RED )HAS 490,000 MILE AND LOVING IT,265/75/16

  7. #7
    Member JST's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    63

    Default

    Thank you for the help
    2002 GMC 2500HD 4x4 SCLB STOCK MOTOR WITH TOMAN TUNING,FASS 150, M/A TRANS,12.3 ON A GOOD DAY IT'S MY WORK TRUCK,19 TO 21 MPG WITH ME DRIVING,THE TRUCK (OLD RED )HAS 490,000 MILE AND LOVING IT,265/75/16

  8. #8
    Lifetime Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,762

    Default

    maybe this is why i am having some problems from time to time

    i have 2.18.18 3.02.17
    "All that is needed for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing..."

Similar Threads

  1. V1 and V2 same USB drivers?
    By Bruce Melton in forum General (Petrol, Gas, Ethanol)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: March 27th, 2007, 05:51 AM
  2. v3 usb drivers
    By ZL1Killa in forum General (Petrol, Gas, Ethanol)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: February 15th, 2007, 05:20 PM
  3. USB drivers
    By killerbee in forum General (Petrol, Gas, Ethanol)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: August 29th, 2006, 11:28 PM
  4. IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR 7.3 USERS (as of Aug 21, 2005)
    By Blacky in forum General (Petrol, Gas, Ethanol)
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: October 31st, 2005, 05:10 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •