Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Torque South's black 2013 BUICK TURBO project

The variable cam timing is HUGE on my list for making power in the future. I have been studying the Comp Camps tutorial and just brainstorming about opening the exhaust valves earlier for spool. A Regal tuner reports that "moving" the cams resulted in full boost and power at 7000 RPM - unheard of on an LHU.

For now I am working on reducing driveabilty problems and still trying to crack that 8.9 next Saturday at the drag strip. Just minutes ago I ordered an upgraded high performance Turbosmart bypass valve.

I can tell you that this little guy is stupid fast for a 4000 lb FWD Buick even on it's worst day on a poor tune.
    '12 Caprice PPV 6.0 L77 - daily transportation
    8.7 @ 84 (1/8 mile) bolt-ons

'02 Silverado RCSB 5.3 L59 - regularly street driven
    8.2 @ 86 (1/8 mile) stock cam and spray
    8.6 @ 84 (1/8 mile) cam and heads no spray

Our YOUTUBE CHANNEL featuring the Silverado

Default colder spark plugs needed / knock in chilly weather

I am definitely going to try to change the spark plugs to one step colder. The temperature dropped big time around here and I am getting some pretty bad knock.

I heard the LNF love colder plugs with anything over 75 extra HP, and I am quite familiar with this route from the Rx-7 days. Will post pics and results as soon as I can.

Hey boost, I was noticing the same issues on my lhu (regal). I was having issues with boost not staying steady but fluctuating. Really interested how the turbosmart bypass valve works for you. Are you running stock map sensors our did you upgrade to 3 bar. Our weather dropped quickly here also but havent noticed an knock, I run 93 or e85 so maybe that helps. I still have your email and will send you my current tune, new to the 2.0t scene so take it easy on me.
    Only mods I am considering is 3 bar maps, turbosmart or forge bpv, and maybe fab an intake to mount filter in fender. I also have a meth kit on shelf that i might just have to toss on car but not sure if its worth it since I run e85.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakes4321 View Post
    Hey boost, I was noticing the same issues on my lhu (regal). I was having issues with boost not staying steady but fluctuating. Really interested how the turbosmart bypass valve works for you. Are you running stock map sensors our did you upgrade to 3 bar. Our weather dropped quickly here also but havent noticed an knock, I run 93 or e85 so maybe that helps. I still have your email and will send you my current tune, new to the 2.0t scene so take it easy on me.
    Only mods I am considering is 3 bar maps, turbosmart or forge bpv, and maybe fab an intake to mount filter in fender. I also have a meth kit on shelf that i might just have to toss on car but not sure if its worth it since I run e85.
    We are in the same boat my friend. I totally ignored the LNF in the SS because it was not "EFILive-able". Now I have to back track and read their experiences, actually on the "other" forum there is a wealth of info as far as timing and cams and such. I absolutely love tuning this car with my EFILive, but it is a heck of a challange. I look forward to doing it the right way and being patient - sometimes I "must" race my co-workers with 600 horsepower trucks and I turn the boost WAY up -that's when I get in trouble. I don't like to lose...

I am using 93 octane exlusively, there is no easy access to E85 here. I also tend to stay away from race gas and octane boosters as I have aluminized exhaust. I am running the stock map sensor, can you please explain the benefit of upgrading? I feel so left behind with this scene (LNF/ LDK / LHU crowd).

I think the meth kit is worth it, perhaps you can sell it to me? My T.S. BPV will be here real soon. Also looking into more mods. But the tuning is critical. Please do send your file and do stay in touch. I will let you know about the surging, it's a major problem.

tune@torquesouth.com

I fixed my surge issues, it was all in me being greedy. The 3 bar map would allow us to read above the 22psi (2.5 map) or 255kpa. Without it fueling would just be a guess once we boost past 22 psi. There are 2 map sensors on out cars.
    Meth kit is for my camaro but would maybe use it on regal if i needed it. Will send you my tune when I get home and will stay in touch

Yes the surge started with my greediness as well. So we need to get a 3 bar, and the what adjustments? Great info thanks a lot. I look forward to it.

Thumbs up Ha-ha! BACK IN GOOD SHAPE

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ready for war.png 
Views:	233 
Size:	66.0 KB 
ID:	16130

I went ahead with the spark plug change and found that the stock AC Delco plugs @ 11k miles had a nice evenly and perfectly burnt color and were properly gapped @ .33, as per GM spec and exactly as I gapped the new ones.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	securedownload.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	16134

I was able to obtain on short notice the perfect plugs I wanted for this application. I got a real nice inside price on a set of Autolite XP Iridiums. They are made by Honeywell (Garrett) and as I understand are one step colder than stock and also fire much better and harder.

The car runs great and making lovely power with no significant Knock / Retard. I am very happy with this right now.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Boost; November 15th, 2013 at 05:43 AM. Reason: added old plugs pic

Quote Originally Posted by Jakes4321 View Post
    I fixed my surge issues, it was all in me being greedy. The 3 bar map would allow us to read above the 22psi (2.5 map) or 255kpa. Without it fueling would just be a guess once we boost past 22 psi. There are 2 map sensors on out cars.
    Meth kit is for my camaro but would maybe use it on regal if i needed it. Will send you my tune when I get home and will stay in touch
    I can only half understand / agree with this for the following reason:

I agree that the surging IS boost and most likely caused by fueling. But I can cause this very same surging pretty badly @ just 10 PSI boost. So that eliminates it being from "guessing" fueling above 22 PSI boost. But it usually happens to me when I run very rich mixtures, so it could in fact be fueling. Also, I would like to understand why they would put a 2 bar sensor in something that runs a minimum of 17 PSI stock?

I can tell you that I have minimal surging now @ 26 psi, though I am running leaner and protecting with cold plugs and octane booster.

Also my friend (racing victim) in a boosted new Focus ST had surging issues as well and a re-tune fixed it. I will try to get him to find out details.

Quote Originally Posted by Boost View Post
    Also my friend (racing victim) in a boosted new Focus ST had surging issues as well and a re-tune fixed it. I will try to get him to find out details.
    So he called Cobb tuning and confirmed that the problem and solution lies in the Wastegate Duty Cycle table. I strongly suspected this also.

Right now I am running a tune with 26 psi and over 350 torque and zero boost surging / fluttering because the duty cycle is low and smooth at lower RPM / load. It's very laggy as you can imagine but takes away the knock and surging / fluttering. I am sure it will run 8's tomorrow.

Awesome!

Yeah our stock map sensor is 2.5 bar I believe, so anything over 22psi is just going to be a guess. It can work and you shouldnt have issues but if i planned on more then 22psi in this hooptie I would go 3 bar.

Same way i fixed my flutter/surge, i was getting greedy with the wgdc but also makes the car alot easier to keep traction. I am going to ramp boost in a lil smoother to try and keep traction then let it eat.

Hmm i havent had any knock issues yet besides the time my wife got 87 instead of e85. It wasnt her fault though it is a full service station. Just touchin the pedal and it was a knock box.

Good luck on the 8s! Come to chicago it shouldnt be a problem as long as it hooks! 41* here

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast