8.6 @ 84 (1/8 mile) cam and heads no spray

Our YOUTUBE CHANNEL featuring the Silverado

'12 Caprice PPV 6.0 L77 - daily transportation
    8.7 @ 84 (1/8 mile) bolt-ons

'02 Silverado RCSB 5.3 L59 - regularly street driven
    8.2 @ 86 (1/8 mile) stock cam and spray

Your car doesnt weigh 2042kg or 4501 lbs, thats its Gross Vehicle Weight Registration. Thats its max weight going down teh road with passengers and cargo that the car is rated for.. On the scales it will be significantlt lighter. There is no way that your car weighs 500 lbs more than my 1997 reg cab shortbox 2wd fullsize GM truck.

peace
    Hog
    1997 rcsb stock L31 longblock, Marine Intake with 28# EV6 injectors, L35 2700 stall TC,Hooker LT's 2.007 60ft

Thank you hog I am quite aware of that. Which is why I stated 4000 lbs in the video. That is actually what it weighs with a full tank and me in it. The dry curbs weight is about 3700 lbs, add to that fluids, 15 gallons of fuel (@about 8 lbs a gallon), my 200 lbs, and there you go. This vehicle is fully loaded, not sure if you are familiar with all the glass and 10 airbags, and other heavy equipment that comes on these but it weights more than a Camaro and some regular cabs.

Bottom line is it's a very heavy car to be running low 13s in the 1/4 mile, and weights exactly what I said in the video. After all I did circle GVWR as well and most people know what that means.

But thanks for the clarification for those who don't!

Last edited by Boost; April 20th, 2014 at 01:36 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Boost View Post
    Thank you hog I am quite aware of that. Which is why I stated 4000 lbs in the video. That is actually what it weighs with a full tank and me in it. The dry curbs weight is about 3700 lbs, add to that fluids, 15 gallons of fuel (@about 8 lbs a gallon), my 200 lbs, and there you go. This vehicle is fully loaded, not sure if you are familiar with all the glass and 10 airbags, and other heavy equipment that comes on these but it weights more than a Camaro and some regular cabs.

Bottom line is it's a very heavy car to be running low 13s in the 1/4 mile, and weights exactly what I said in the video. After all I did circle GVWR as well and most people know what that means.

But thanks for the clarification for those who don't!

Sorry I didnt watch theentire video, I shut it off as soon as I saw a picture of the GVRW circled/VIN scratched out titled "It's heavy".

I beg differ, most people do NOT know that the GVRW is NOT the actual weight of their car. At the drags whenever I ask someone what their car weighs, they run for the door sticker and I shake my head. Which is what I did with your video.

Your car is a very heavy car. It seems that the newer the car, the heavier they are. If it's got an engine people will race it.

Have you ran the 1/4 mile with it? ANy 60 ft times?
    Thanks

peace
    Hog
    1997 rcsb stock L31 longblock, Marine Intake with 28# EV6 injectors, L35 2700 stall TC,Hooker LT's 2.007 60ft

No worries hog! You are right people are often clueless. Typically I subtract the max cargo sticker from the gross to get an approximate minimum weight - though I know that is still not exact. My 60' foot times are 2.0 seconds, I would say that is quite shocking for this setup. On the current tune my top end is suffering as I have a brutal first and second gear but 3rd through top end is rather weak partially due to my stock turbo and also my less than perfect tuning.

Basically it is a Cobalt SS with an extra 1000 lbs in a really nice luxurious body. I have way more features than a standard Cadillac LOL. It may actually weight less than 4000 lbs. to be honest, but is without a shadow of a doubt the world's quickest and fastest documented and unchallenged Buick Verano.

I have run the 1/4 mile at Palm Beach International Raceway on an extremely weak tune that literally had the throttle blade closed to 44% almost the entire way - to the tune of 14.3 @ 94 MPH.

My current setup is guaranteed to run at least 13.5 @ 100 MPH on the worst day.

Thanks for checking out my vid! Come on you can finish the whole thing, it's only a minute and change
    Last edited by Boost; April 20th, 2014 at 09:49 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Boost View Post
    No worries hog! You are right people are often clueless. Typically I subtract the max cargo sticker from the gross to get an approximate minimum weight - though I know that is still not exact. My 60' foot times are 2.0 seconds, I would say that is quite shocking for this setup. On the current tune my top end is suffering as I have a brutal first and second gear but 3rd through top end is rather weak partially due to my stock turbo and also my less than perfect tuning.

Basically it is a Cobalt SS with an extra 1000 lbs in a really nice luxurious body. I have way more features than a standard Cadillac LOL. It may actually weight less than 4000 lbs. to be honest, but is without a shadow of a doubt the world's quickest and fastest documented and unchallenged Buick Verano.

I have run the 1/4 mile at Palm Beach International Raceway on an extremely weak tune that literally had the throttle blade closed to 44% almost the entire way - to the tune of 14.3 @ 94 MPH.

My current setup is guaranteed to run at least 13.5 @ 100 MPH on the worst day.

Thanks for checking out my vid! Come on you can finish the whole thing, it's only a minute and change
    H ah, ya, I did watch the whole video. Nice work.

I agree a 2.0 60 ft is a great short time, esp. with your mass. My 97 GMC Sierra 2wd reg cab shortbox weighs around 4000 lbs, stock Vortec 350 255hp@4600rpm/330 lb/ft torque@2800rpm. All stock with only the muffler removed, it ran a 15.7-.9 @ 83-85mph with a 2.5-2.6 60 ft, going through the traps in 2nd gear at 5500rpm manually holding 2nd gear, or trapping in 3rd gear revving 3600rpm leaving the selector in drive. Times were the same regardless of gear selection, mph was a tad better holding 2nd gear. As is it would consistently stay ahead of my buddies 1996 Dodge Ram Indy"Pace Truck" 360 magnum V8, factory installed MOPAR headers, Mopar exhaust and Mopar performance ECM calibration and aftermarket air filter and air intake with the stock 3.91 sure grip rear. His truck required 92 octane or it would knock. He was pissed that my bone stock truck with highway gears, no posi would eat his truck out of the hole and although he was charging at my tailgate by the end of the 1/4 mile, he couldnt get by me.
    His truck would run consistent 15.9's, and he didnt like it at all.
    I had another buddy who had a 1991 454SS, 255hp@4000rpm/405 lb/ft@2400rpm, stock 4.10 gears, stock 4l80e with some sort of chip and aftermarket exhaust. When I was stock, we would leave together, but with his better rear gearing 4.10 vs. my 3.08's and his less WOT rpm drop 2.46:1 1st gear to 1.48:1 2nd gear, vs my 3.06:1 and 1.67:1 2nd gear, he would slowly walk by me and had about 1-3 lengths on me by the end of the 1/4.

Then I swapped to 4.10 rear gears with a locker, stock PCM tuning, speedo recal with a JET SCU-2000. Now I owuld leave on him by about a length, but he would still reel me in.
    Then I installed a set of Hooker 2462-1hkr 1-5/8"x2-1/2"longtubes with 2 1/2 headpipes and cats onto a dual in/dual out muffler exiitting via dual 4" pipes before the left rear axle. Mild 87 octane PCM tune by Ed Wright of Fastchip. Only power increasing mod that was done was to lean out the PE Mode multiplier, stock timing, TM 100% removed, speedo shift points adjusted, allowed for WOT 3-4 shift plus some other O2 sensor related stuff was done. This was teh early 2000's when there was no aftermarket tuning capability like there is now. The exhaust and PCM tune actually made the biggest seat of the pants difference.
    Next time at the track, 4.10 gears, locker, headers, exhaust, tune ran a 14.8@94mph with a 2.007 60ft time. Needless to say my buddy with the 91 SS was displeased in a large way. He started avoiding lining up with me.
    Next mods were Mercruiser marine intake manifold with Multec 2 EV6 injectors which flowed about 29pph(not that I needed the larger injectors, itr was an exercise in seeing if it would work, this was teh 2nd North AMerican install, and 1st Canadian install, (that I know of). These intakes helped the Vortec 305/350/383 guys run boost and be able to fuel it properly as it got rid of those horrible 23 lb/hr@63psi CSFI(Central Port Fuel Injection) spiders.

Marine intake left, stock CSFI intake right

the marine intake eliminates all of teh internal "injector debris" inside of the 1996-2003 Vortec 305/350 intake manifolds.

Marine Intake new as it comes from Merc/GM Marine

truck, yes that weird 4" rear high rake was stock. Blah.

There was a group of guys over at the Pacific Performance Engineering, one of whom got a hold of about 8 of these GEN 1E Vortec marine intake manifolds thatw ere being stripped off of some Donzi boats so that carbs could be installed. Their loss our gain. And thats how the Marien Intake project began.

PPE truck performance site http://www.pacificp.com/forum/index.php
    And specifically the Marine Intake Bible. http://www.pacificp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=317
    That was also the where retrofitting the 0411 PCM into the Vortec GMT-400 trucks using the 2001-2002 Express van calibration originated. The 01-02 L31 Express vans were unique, they used the older GEN 1E 350 V8 engines, but were controlled with the newer dual 80 pin connectored 512kb 0411 PCM. I documented this fact, then later on a gentleman callsign "Lextech" made up some wiring pinout data sheets for the 1996, 1997 and 1998-1999 Vortec GMT-400 trucks to retrofit in the 0411 PCM. Lextech made it all happen, and is a member here as well.
    The 0411 info was gathered here. http://www.pacificp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3240

So in the process of playing with my truck, I managed to blow about 7 transmissions, one of them being a pretty expensive build by a local trans builder. With this "built" 4l60e installed, I picked my truck up at 5:00 PM, the trans shop owner handed me the keys and said "have fun trying to break that one" and laughed, as if this trans would never break behind my stock longblock Vortec 350. Well after driving about half an hour I came to a stop sign out in teh middle of nowhere onteh way to teh dragstrip. I said to my passenger, "Well I had better see if if its shifting OK". So I stomped on is through teh intersection, as 5400rpm read on the tach and teh PCM commanded a WOT 1-2 upshift when all of a sudden there was a huge BE-BANG. I instantly let off the throttle, shited to neutral and shut her down and pulled over. The bang was loud and it felt really really dirty. We looked underneath, all looked well. I pulled the trans dipstick and the fluid was clear and smelled new. I started the truck and checked te level, it was fine. We hopped back into the truck, I selected 1st gear and applied some throttle. The revs cam up to 3000rpm just fine, then with no throttle I shifted to 2nd, it grabbed fine so I continued up through 4th and the TCC even locked.
    We were about 15 minutes from the drags. At the next stop sign, selector in drive, I left the stop at about 1/2 throttle, when thetrans sjifted, there was another bang, not as bad, but I decided to turn around and hoep I got home.
    I get back to town without issue, park my truck at the trans shop, drop my keys in teh drop box and head home with my buddy.
    Mondayt morning I go to teh trans shop and talk to teh owner and decsribe what happened. He said it sounds like the sprag. So he pulled teh truck in, dropped teh trans and pulled it apart sure enough, the sprag had flipped. All was fixed, and I drove it for about 25,000 kms, and blew it up again. Warranty was 1 year or 20,000kms. So in went a stock 4l60e with an L35 V6 TC with converter code DCLF. This OEM TC gave me about 2800rpm of stall speed at WOT with the rear tires no moving. It felt really goo while driving and helped to reduce about 400-500 rpm of rpm drop during WOT upshifts. 5500rpm WOT upshifts used to result in the tach reading 3300rpm after the uupshift, with the DCLF TC the same upshift resulted i the tach reading about 3800rpm or so.
    My Dad took my truck for a drive, and asked me if teh trans was slipping. It wasnt of course, he was just experiencing the extra stall speed. When at stops, I could apply about 15% throttle and the revs would come up to about 2000rpm and stay there as teh trans went through teh gears, then once the TCC locked, teh revs came down. It is a good TC IMO, esp. since it has OEM efficiency as well. It is perfect for someone who isnt sure about the world of performance torque converters. Its the same kind of swap for the GMT800(99-2007) trucks guys who have 4.8 and 5.3 engine in trucks with teh 4l60e/65e/70 transmission and install a TC from a Trailblazer that originally had the 4.2 Inline 6 cylinder engine. It gives the 5.3 a stall speed of about 2500rpm, more stall with the more torque your engine makes.

Of course the aftermarket performance TC's have better gains, but they are also expensive. TC's are often overlooked by people in their vehicles. I knew a guy that added a centrifugal supercharger to a truck. It was a 9 pound kit and gave hime evry pound it shoudl have, but he was disappointed in teh truck, so much so that he was going to take the blower off and sell it. I got him to install a 3200rpm stall converter, and he was amazed. The truck would spin the tires and fishtail when he matted it, totally changed the charater of the truck.

So since my last dragstrip passes, I had added my marine intake,and this stock DCLF Vortec V6 TC. During this period I also had some issues with vibrations and even threw a driveshaft. So a new custom steel unit was built and installed.

So at the drags, I launch and it felt good, then at about 3/4 track I felt a vibration that felt really bad so I let off and hit teh brakes. I ended up trapping at 14.8@50 mph or so. Needless to say that would have been my best pass ever. But that kind of talk is all BS, I needed the slip for my personal best, and didnt get it. Unfortunatley life has gotten i the way and I havent been back with that truck yet.

Needless to say, I understand having fun with vehicles that are on the heavy side. It takes extra power to make them quick, but on the downside, at least for me, the extra weight also is hard on parts. I dont think my truck did too bad. High 14's naturally aspirated with a stock longblock Vortec 350. Stock it would consitently beat Dodges best fullsize OEM modified truck offering of 1996. With a gear change was a dead heat with the 255hp 454SS(the 90 454SS was 230hp/385lb/ft with 3 speed auto/3,73 gears-1991-93 SS was 255hp/405lb/ft, 4 speed auto with 4.10 gears) My 97 and his 91 both had the 255hp SAE net power rating. And with minimal mods was running from the local Dodge Dakota R/T crowd.
    The newer trucks do a lot better nowadays, but I had my fun. And with over a 1000 1/4 mile passes(29 pases in a 3 hour period 1 night), and thousands of street 0-60 passes and with over 400,000kms on the stock longblock, the truck has been fun, and owes me nothing.

Keep up the good work, it sure is fun isnt it?

peace
    Hog

Hey, sorry for taking so long to read it and reply. Super interesting story! I'll be sure to share with my Vortec friends.

So far so good, about 21k miles now. Mileage is terrible, that seems normal for these cars. Power is stupid and I don't even have it halfway dialed in. Made 341 torque on a DynoJet. Slicks wore out so I am back on street tires and our local track closed down. So for now it's been slow and I am working too much. Miss you guys

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910