Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Torque South's black 2013 BUICK TURBO project

^ what he said ^

Yeah, we know that Brian's E39x stuff WILL be properly tuned, like all his other vehicles.

It's just that (I think) most of us EFILive guys are modest and humble, and that doesn't help with the teenage idiot crowd with little to no knowledge of automotive things.
    I see this over and over, it's almost a rule of thumb to stay away from shops with ignorant followers. Oh well...

Sweet35th, thanks bud! Conditions were just a few feet above sea level at Countyline Dragway in Miami, it was a nice crisp night at about 70 degrees Farenheit and low (for us) humidity, little to no wind. I had about 900 miles on the odometer, and over a half a tank of 93 octane. I lowered my front tires to 24 psi and left the back ones at 32.

I kept it in "D" (not manual) for all 3 runs, the first run was the fastest - with the Traction Control off (but ESP still on). I launched at roughly about 2000 RPM, spun and wheel hopped the front tires terrible and shook a burned the tires for what seemed like an eternity but was really about 1-2 seconds. By this time the G37 coupe was about 3+ cars ahead - because he also "treed" me. I pulled hard through 2nd gear and gained over a half a car back. The shifts take a while stock, (defuel?) so in 3rd we pulled about evenly with my car finishing strong but 2 cars behind the Infinity. Here is timeslip:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	slip.jpg 
Views:	364 
Size:	664.8 KB 
ID:	14943

I wanted to do better but I know wheel hop breaks axles and stuff so I decided to try with the Traction Control on. I also asked the ECM for 50 more torque and 3 more psi boost. I launched at aboout 2500 RPM, and it took a very soft full one second pause, then smoothly rolled off the line gradually picking up speed towards the end of 1st gear. It felt very healthy and smooth, but not necessarily fast. I was running agains a newer Civic Si stickshift with intake and exhaust. We had the same Reaction Time, but I pulled 3 cars on him out of the hole, and what seemed like 10 more at the end of the track. In the middle of the track, the turbo was really screaming, and I thought I beat my time and ran much better even with the soft launch. But it turned out my time was 1 tenth slower all the way, and even the ET mph was lower. I feel the computer was taking away tons of power to protect the trans. as well as to "predict" wheelspin.

So I decided to go back to the stock tune which ran significantly faster, but still keep the T/C on to avoid wheel hop / spin. Again a huge soft pause off the line and very gentle super smooth launch then strong power and very nice acceleration through 2nd and 3rd gear. This time I stayed very close to the G37 coupe the entire way since I treed him off the line, but he steady walked away from me the whole time and I still went 1-2 tenth slower than the first terrible run with the T/C off.

So I have learned that T/C on steals a bunch of power to "prevent" loss of traction - much like the Cruze. Also, it's not as easy as the Cruze to make power. Either the TCM, or something in the E39A tune works to counter everything you do to try to restore stock power levels (I think).
    But I am making progress and will go much faster soon and get my revenge on the jap crap Z!
    Last edited by Boost; April 29th, 2013 at 03:09 PM.
    '12 Caprice PPV 6.0 L77 - daily transportation
    8.7 @ 84 (1/8 mile) bolt-ons

'02 Silverado RCSB 5.3 L59 - regularly street driven
    8.2 @ 86 (1/8 mile) stock cam and spray
    8.6 @ 84 (1/8 mile) cam and heads no spray

Our YOUTUBE CHANNEL featuring the Silverado

Quote Originally Posted by Boost View Post
    It's just that (I think) most of us EFILive guys are modest and humble, and that doesn't help with the teenage idiot crowd with little to no knowledge of automotive things.
    That's just the internet for you, which is why I rarely look at any automotive websites apart from this one.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

me too, lol. but we're still kool!!!!

Very nice! Gotta admitt I am pretty envious of the conditions as we are supposed to get more snow in the next couple days.

Ill start playing with mine here soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Boost View Post
    ^ what he said ^

Yeah, we know that Brian's E39x stuff WILL be properly tuned, like all his other vehicles.

I see this over and over, it's almost a rule of thumb to stay away from shops with ignorant followers. Oh well...

Sweet35th, thanks bud! Conditions were just a few feet above sea level at Countyline Dragway in Miami, it was a nice crisp night at about 70 degrees Farenheit and low (for us) humidity, little to no wind. I had about 900 miles on the odometer, and over a half a tank of 93 octane. I lowered my front tires to 24 psi and left the back ones at 32.

I kept it in "D" (not manual) for all 3 runs, the first run was the fastest - with the Traction Control off (but ESP still on). I launched at roughly about 2000 RPM, spun and wheel hopped the front tires terrible and shook a burned the tires for what seemed like an eternity but was really about 1-2 seconds. By this time the G37 coupe was about 3+ cars ahead - because he also "treed" me. I pulled hard through 2nd gear and gained over a half a car back. The shifts take a while stock, (defuel?) so in 3rd we pulled about evenly with my car finishing strong but 2 cars behind the Infinity. Here is timeslip:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	slip.jpg 
Views:	364 
Size:	664.8 KB 
ID:	14943

I wanted to do better but I know wheel hop breaks axles and stuff so I decided to try with the Traction Control on. I also asked the ECM for 50 more torque and 3 more psi boost. I launched at aboout 2500 RPM, and it took a very soft full one second pause, then smoothly rolled off the line gradually picking up speed towards the end of 1st gear. It felt very healthy and smooth, but not necessarily fast. I was running agains a newer Civic Si stickshift with intake and exhaust. We had the same Reaction Time, but I pulled 3 cars on him out of the hole, and what seemed like 10 more at the end of the track. In the middle of the track, the turbo was really screaming, and I thought I beat my time and ran much better even with the soft launch. But it turned out my time was 1 tenth slower all the way, and even the ET mph was lower. I feel the computer was taking away tons of power to protect the trans. as well as to "predict" wheelspin.

So I decided to go back to the stock tune which ran significantly faster, but still keep the T/C on to avoid wheel hop / spin. Again a huge soft pause off the line and very gentle super smooth launch then strong power and very nice acceleration through 2nd and 3rd gear. This time I stayed very close to the G37 coupe the entire way since I treed him off the line, but he steady walked away from me the whole time and I still went 1-2 tenth slower than the first terrible run with the T/C off.

So I have learned that T/C on steals a bunch of power to "prevent" loss of traction - much like the Cruze. Also, it's not as easy as the Cruze to make power. Either the TCM, or something in the E39A tune works to counter everything you do to try to restore stock power levels (I think).
    But I am making progress and will go much faster soon and get my revenge on the jap crap Z!

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet35th View Post
    Very nice! Gotta admitt I am pretty envious of the conditions as we are supposed to get more snow in the next couple days.

Ill start playing with mine here soon.
    You're always welcome to visit! I'd love to have a beautiful GS in one of my upcoming videos...

Buick Turbo Beats Everyone in Output

(click for Ward's 10 best engines article)

"This engine charges like an anggry water buffalo when you get the revs up, and yet, it's silky smooth." raves WardsAuto editor Drew Winter.

"You just breathe on the throttle and it responds so quickly," Anderson says. "The character of that response – we call it elasticity – is unique, not like a naturally aspirated engine. When that turbo is spooling, it's so right now, and the torque curve is flat over a very wide range. And we have to control it down to that torque. If you left it uncontrolled, the thing could make 500 Nm, (369 lb.-ft.) well beyond what the engine and driveline can mechanically take."
    Last edited by Boost; May 5th, 2013 at 08:47 PM.

I am still getting errors trying to open my file with the latest update.

What error are you seeing? That it still not a supported OS?
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    What error are you seeing? That it still not a supported OS?
    Unrecognized pcm.

I am able to tune his file just fine. We have the same exact OS. As a matter of fact I ran his calibration down the track one time

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast