Thread: Wanted: Stock Vortec 8.1L / ZF6 manual trans file

Default Wanted: Stock Vortec 8.1L / ZF6 manual trans file

I have a buddy who leaped head-long into an 8.1L swap on his truck. He bought an engine on it's own and dropped it in with a NV4500 5 speed manual transmission. I am not sure where he got it from, but he got someone to provide him with a PCM that was supposed to be set up to run the manual transmission, but more importantly, a drive by cable throttle body. It runs as is but has no power and the idle is erratic (idles too high, does not drop off between shifts etc) so I checked his PCM and it has a DBC 5.3L / automatic operating system and what appears to be stock 8.1L / Allison trans spark and fuel tables grafted in.

I want to help him get his truck running properly, but I cannot for the life of me find a stock 8.1L / ZF6 tune file anywhere. I am aiming to do something similar to what the original tuner was going for, but start with a DBC 6.0L / NV4500 operating system to get the idle control characteristics behaving properly for a manual trans and get the some tuning tables that are designed for a manual transmission loaded up and see if it behaves better.

What year 8.1 and ecm what OS? i have a couple manual files maybe do a segment swap to get what you need

shooting from the hip scroll all the way down i posted a 2004 6.0 manual file i can convert it to a .bin so you can use efi live to flash it http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...ibration-Files
    Last edited by roughneck427; April 22nd, 2013 at 03:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by roughneck427 View Post
    What year 8.1 and ecm what OS? i have a couple manual files maybe do a segment swap to get what you need
    I believe his engine is an 03 or an 04 but I will confirm. Either way, I plan to use a 12200411 PCM. He may have a 09354896 right now. The OS is some 5.3L / auto tune put together by some tuner dude found but he also locked the PCM so we can't make any changes beyond the VIN number. I suspect they did something very similar to what I want to do, but started with much more common tune files. I don't think they copied the 8.1L tune segments directly and just guess-timated them as the truck has much poorer performance than would be expected.

Either way, any 8.1L / ZF6 file you have should do the trick. All I need it for is the fuel, timing, idle and other small segments to swap into a base 4.8L or 6.0L / manual drive by cable 4wd file. I can then tweak the MAF and VE tables a bit from there to fine tune it a bit using the O2 sensors. I don't know enough about engine timing curves etc to do much beyond that for performance tuning, or I'd just make a file up from scratch.

If you are willing, my email address is Russell at ZieglerDigital dot ca

Thanks!

Russ

EDIT -- Just noticed your edit there with the link to gearhead-efi -- Great file to have on hand (I can certainly use it with another project I have on the go, LQ4 / NV4500 in a Ford Ranger, lol...) but I'd need something from 99-02 for the drive by cable setup.

edit
    Last edited by roughneck427; April 22nd, 2013 at 03:32 PM.

Lifetime Member

If you plan to use a 0411 PCM (512kb) you cant use an 03/04 file (1MB).

Ive seen an 8.1L/6spd file before, but I know I dont have it. I have a LB7/6spd file, but its a diesel and the OSs wont line up so you can seg swap it.

Do you have a VIN? Either this week or next Im going to flash a bunch of PCMs with Tis2Web, if you have a VIN I can try to flash one of my spare PCMs and read it out for you.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

I wish I did! I will search the web tomorrow to try and find an 8.1L / ZF6 truck to get a VIN number you can use... I'll limit my search to 99-02 trucks so we can avoid the different size tune file issue. Never even considered that...

EDIT - Chris aka roughneck427 found a VIN number for an 02 8.1L / ZF6 truck we can use: 1GCHK29G21E319719

I found one for an 02 6.0L / NV4500 as well: 1GCHK29192E118722
    Last edited by Russell; April 22nd, 2013 at 04:17 PM.