Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about pilot injection.

Default Question about pilot injection.

I've done some searching, and I haven't seen any other posts on this. I started another thread, but I didn't really know what was causing it. Now, I believe it has something to do with pilot injection being reduced as it has gotten warmer outside. Like I said in my other post it seems that around 40 degrees and warmer pilot is being cut out some. Therefore causing my rattle, and a decrease of power. I am having trouble finding where and what I need to adjust to correct this. Is this something found in the air density adjustment tables, or axis breakpoints? I'm almost to the point of just shutting off pilot altogether and going from there, but I'd rather not do that.

Lifetime Member

Default Question about pilot injection.

Pilot injection isn't going to effect power enough for you to notice a difference. If you can legitimately feel a decrease in power I would bet money it's not simply pilot injection.

Post up the tune and a log and hopefully we can spot something
    14 GMC Sierra
    5.3L CC SB 4x4
    Basic tuning....

Sounds to me that the timing is too far advanced. Colder air and engine will slow the burn. Higher temps will cause the fuel to burn sooner. There are tables to adjust for this but may not be set up properly.
    2008 Chevrolet 3500HD DRW LTZ
    285/75/17 Nitto Dura Grapplers, 4.56 gears, Front and rear ARB lockers, Efi Live tuning by me, Raptor 160 LP, Cognito 4-6 NTB Lift, 4" Exhaust, Built Trans by Mike L.

Sold - 2004 LB7 Duramax, EFI Live with DSP5 Tune
    stage 4 SC transmission, 265/70/16 tires

This isn't my first time datalogging, but the first time with my new laptop. For some reason I can't find main and pilot timing to log them separately. I only get the "general" injection timing. Which seems to be main, but I can't say for sure, but I need to see pilot as well. I really doubt it is too advanced. It has less timing than stock in the rpm range I experience this. I will get the tune posted sometime today. Right now I'm posting from my phone.

Okay, here is my crappy tune. Go easy on me please. I have very little experience, and no chances to get to any tuning classes. Just doing the best I can.
    Attached Files Attached Files

The tune looks pretty good other than the main timing maps. Use the calculator to set the main timing to pretty much a 50/50 split and see if that helps your rattle.

Anarchy Diesel Tuning/ Advanced Injection Diesel Technologies
    EFI Live Cummins Beta Tester
    Duramax and Cummins Tuning
    423-506-7427

What do you mean by 50/50 split?

What he's talking about is using the timing calculator in the Main Timing table and setting it so that only 50% of the injection happens BTDC and the other 50% happens ATDC. This is done by entering "50" in the cells desired in the calculator. When you select APPLY it will adjust your Main timing table.
    Duane

2008 Ram 3500 QuadCab
    Hamilton 110# Springs & HD Pushrods, ARP 2000s, EFILive, SB 3250 DD

I've used the calculator for my timing in the upper range, but not in the areas that I'm experiencing the rattle. Could the timing be too retarded with the warmer temps cause the rattle? Cuz like I said I have less timing in those areas than I do stock. Also, while I'm here I'm sure you can notice that my tune says incomplete, do not flash. Well, for some reason this is the only file I can use without a map sensor code popping up and the turbo vanes closing up unneccesarily. Anyone got a clue on that? Maybe part of this has something to do with my rattle issue?

What range are you getting the rattle at?
    Duane

2008 Ram 3500 QuadCab
    Hamilton 110# Springs & HD Pushrods, ARP 2000s, EFILive, SB 3250 DD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast