Thread: Missing Serial Number

Default Missing Serial Number

Installed a G8 drivetrain in a 68 Camaro with a Speartech computer,upon fire up the car ran but trims were about 20% off because we built a custom intake. Made changes at the time and car seemed to be fine. About a month later after the car was finished with paint etc the car set a code P0106, diagnosed this as a pcm problem and the local dealer also diagnosed it as the same and sold us a new ecu since we are trying to deliver the car. The new ecu had a 6 cylinder operating system on it so I ended buying another vin code because the vin and operating system mismatched. I performed a full flash with the original tune that was on the speartech from my very first read and everything seemed to be normal. the car started and ran as it did on the very first fire up (20% off). Tried to flash with a 20% correction and it it said the vin was missing but operating system was still correct. I changed the vin which came back successful and then performed a read and it came back with correct operating system and vin. Tried to flash but now it is missing a serial number and wont write and when I try to read it errors out and asks me to try to read by unchecking "high speed" but I cannot uncheck high speed?

Hi FTK_Ray,

Is the ECM an E38...?

Which V7/V8 software build versions...?
    Which V2 firmware version...?

it is an e38

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Can you please send me two files that you read from the new controller; one from before you flashed it and one from after you flashed it with EFILive? (send to paul@efilive.com)

Also, (if you haven't done so already) you should download and install the latest versions of both V7.5 and V8 from here:
    https://www.efilive.com/index.php?op...=48&Itemid=133

After installing V8, use the Start->All Programs->EFILive->V8->EFILive Control Panel to update the firmware in your FlashScan V2.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

I have a similar issue with an E38. The ECU had previously had a bad flash and I have attempted to reflash original tune via TIS2WEB/Tech2. EFILive can read the ECU but wont write a tune back to it because the serial number is all zeros.
    Numerous attempts have been made to get Flashscan V2 to issue a serial number to no avail, just come back with the same errors as the OP.
    I am using the latest versions of V7.5 and V8. My FS V2 is also up to date with firmware.

Regards,
    Mark

The zero'd serial number (and usually corrupted VIN) will occur when the wrong year model OS is flashed in to the ECM.
    For example, lets say the ECM was from a 2007 Corvette and you flashed in an OS from a 2009 car, everything will get corrupted, unfortunately this is due to changes GM made in the ECM's over the years making them incompatible.

For quite a while now EFILive has offered it's users protection against this happening, if the ECM OS's are not compatible you will get a very big warning that states you will corrupt the ECM if you flash 'x' OS in to the ECM.
    Unfortunately TIS2WEB does not do this, it will just flash in whatever OS it chooses based on the VIN in the ECM. Other tuning suites out there are in the same boat, they just flash in any OS without any compatibility checks.

Unfortunately it can't be fixed, once the corruption to the ECM happens it can't be reversed.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.