Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Torque limiting?

Default Torque limiting?

From what I can see, there is an EFILive limit on this value of 640 ft. lbs.

What happens if your car exceeds that limit?

Surely there are a number of cars using EFILive that easily surpass that power.

CorvetteFlorida.com

2002 Corvette Z06
    427 RHS block built by LME
    STS rear mounted twin turbos
    It nearly died on the operating table, but I'm bringing her back.

I have also wondered that. I know for a fact there are a lot of cars with more torque than that. My thoughts were most with that much torque would be force induction and using a COS so there is not torque limiting in those os?

I've got a COS in my tune, and I don't see anything in there that would negate the torque control. Heck, for that matter, I don't think it's all that tough these days to get a NA engine over 640 ft.lbs at the crank.

Speaking of which, could lowering the torque limit WAY DOWN be a quick and dirty way of creating a "valet mode" tune? I've got a tiger shark front bumper fascia I'm going to need to be painted and installed, and I certainly don't want to leave my car somewhere and have some yahoo take it out for a joy ride after hours and wrap it around a tree.

CorvetteFlorida.com

2002 Corvette Z06

This LPE product keeps an overtorque from being transmitted to the BCM in the TBSS's. So this must be an issue on that platform.
    http://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/merc...gory_Code=C163

Isnt a valet mode included in 1 of the COS's?

I wonder how close the calculated torque is to actual crankshaft torque?

peace
    Hog
    1997 rcsb stock L31 longblock, Marine Intake with 28# EV6 injectors, L35 2700 stall TC,Hooker LT's 2.007 60ft

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by hog View Post
    This LPE product keeps an overtorque from being transmitted to the BCM in the TBSS's. So this must be an issue on that platform.
    http://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/merc...gory_Code=C163

Isnt a valet mode included in 1 of the COS's?

I wonder how close the calculated torque is to actual crankshaft torque?

peace
    Hog
    That was an issue back in 06/07, not an issue today. EFILive has the necessary Torque tables so you can raise the TQ limits and not get REP mode. I believe this module was developed to keep StabiliTrak from freaking out with the added TQ, but again the tables exist in the calibration now so I dont think you need this anymore.

Calculated TQ vs crankshaft TQ is an extremely good point, for the Gen III PCMs Im not sure you can do much regarding it (matching it up). Then Gen IV (E40 excluded) with the TQ Model means you can adjust the TQ output to match what you have from a dyno. It makes a HUGE difference in the way the ECM delivers power and the TCM shifts. There's a PID you can log that tells you what the ECM thinks the TQ output is, if you're on dyno you can adjust the TQ Model until it matches the dyno output.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Well, okey dokey... Since I DO have a Gen III PCM, is this or is this not an issue I need to be concerned about? I was getting close to 640 ft.lbs at the crank with my stock LS6 and the twin turbos having only 6.5 lb springs in the waste gates. Now with the 427 and 10 lb springs, well............... I didn't see any place to adjust the cap on the torque value.
    Last edited by Rich Z; May 7th, 2013 at 01:28 PM. Reason: duh....

CorvetteFlorida.com

2002 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by ScarabEpic22 View Post
    That was an issue back in 06/07, not an issue today. EFILive has the necessary Torque tables so you can raise the TQ limits and not get REP mode. I believe this module was developed to keep StabiliTrak from freaking out with the added TQ, but again the tables exist in the calibration now so I dont think you need this anymore.
    OK, darn if I can find the torque tables you speak of to change that upper limit. Can you throw a table number at me to help out?

I found B4360 which shows a max limit of 1280 ft.lbs for A/C torque loss correction. And of course there are B1901, B6611 and B6614 which show the MAX Allowed engine torque. Then there are tables B6615 thru B6620 showing various max torque values with an upper limit of 41943039 (!).

Sorry if I am missing something here...

CorvetteFlorida.com

2002 Corvette Z06

Lifetime Member

Rich, the module hog posted was for a TBSS aka E40/E67 so the tables wont match up with your LS1B PCM anyway.

Are you having an issue with the PCM pulling timing, fuel, something else at 640lbs?
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ScarabEpic22 View Post
    Rich, the module hog posted was for a TBSS aka E40/E67 so the tables wont match up with your LS1B PCM anyway.

Are you having an issue with the PCM pulling timing, fuel, something else at 640lbs?
    Well, no, as I have yet to even got WOT with the car. I'm spending much of my time just looking through the tables to get familiar with what I have to work with, and this LIMIT caught my eye.

So I figured this would be the place to ask about it where the developers hang out. Rather than wait to run into a problem, I want to know what WILL happen when my engine produces torque over that limit. Sure don't want to get a REP when I'm up near the top of my torque curve.

Surely I can't be the first person to ask this question? I tried doing a search on "torque limit", but that wasn't very productive. So is this REALLY a limit or what? If it is a REAL limit, then surely there must be a workaround. Otherwise a lot of guys producing decent power are going to get a severe disappointment when they hit that limit.

CorvetteFlorida.com

2002 Corvette Z06

It seems to me that setting the LS1 max torque to 640 ftlm tells the PCM that there is no limit... I've seen various tunes easily making 700+ ftlb.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast