Thread: Odd problem with loading a tune

Lifetime Member

Default Odd problem with loading a tune

Got a wierd one. I'm trying to download the program on my mother's 2008 Silverado to change the tire size, but EFI Live apparently can't read the computer. It has no problems reading my own 2000 Silverado. The unit is able to read the truck, but my laptop can't read the unit from there. I'm sure it's a bonehead on my part, can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks.

You have FlashScan V2 right? The 2008 is mst likely using a CAN based controller that V1 would not be able to read.

Are you selecting the correct controller type when trying to read (often a gotcha)?
    Andrew
    EFILive Crew

Post the log text.

Lifetime Member

Yep, got the V2 with the 7.5 software. When I try to dowload the program from the truck, it gives me the 10 attempts to connect, then gives me the same error message you get when the key's off. I don't recall the exact text. This one is going to be difficult for me because the truck is 2 hours away, and I only see it about once a month or so for 2 hours at a time. Luckily, all I need to do is change the tire size at this time, no need to tune. Mom doesn't want it messed with until it goes off warranty, after that I plan to tune it a bit for better mileage. The thing that gets me is, the handheld can read the computer, check error messages, ect.

I bet it's going to be the computer type that's the problem, because I was using the same controller type as my 2000 truck. Didn't know what other controller type to use, and since the one didn't work... plus at the time, for some reason I was thinking the truck was a 2007 model. The one I used covers 1999-2007 trucks.

If you can get the VIN from your Mom and send to support@efilive.com I can verify the actual ECM type in case it is something really simple?
    Andrew
    EFILive Crew

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tordne View Post
    If you can get the VIN from your Mom and send to support@efilive.com I can verify the actual ECM type in case it is something really simple?
    Luckily, I get all her Onstar email. Email has been sent with the VIN. Thanks for the help.

That VIN you sent is an E38 ECM controller, so you'll need to select that when reading the ECM. Your 2000 vehicle will most likely be the LS1 PCM. So, hopefully it is as simple as that
    Andrew
    EFILive Crew

Lifetime Member

Excellent, thanks. I'll post back the results either way, but it'll be a while.

Lifetime Member

And the problem was the controller type. Thanks for the help.