Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: e38 possible bad ecm?

Default e38 possible bad ecm?

Hey guys been really chasing our tails with this one - been having many weird phantom issues with this vehicle, so many problems not even worth mentioning because if you can imagine a problem it is happening.

Biggest single factor in making me think it is a computer issue is that the car will run idle and work great then shut it off try to start it back up and it will not even run at all. This behavior is intermittent sometimes it will run for an hour and I will work on the tuning then sometimes I have to load several tunes into it to idle.

Who here has run into a bad e38 computer - what was it doing? Can I use any E38 as a replacement?

As far as what the tune is doing I have tried pretty much everything, I have a lot of experience with these but almost a week of diagnostics and tuning into this thing so I'm running out of possibilities.

Thanks, Mike

Lifetime Member

It happens every once in a while.

You cant just use whatever ECM you want, you need to match the p/n with the OS you want to run. Ex can't run a 2006 OS in a 2009 ECM and vice-versa, it will brick itself.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

I don't tend to hear of them going bad, the common problem we always hear about is other tuning programs flashing in wrong year model OS's, that'll cause all sorts of weird problems, sometimes a no start.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

This vehicle has been to at least 3 tuning shops over time and definitely efilive and hptuners and who knows what else. Could be it, maybe? Lets hope its that simple.

Yes it could be that, do you have access to be able to use TIS2WEB to get the factory stock tune put back in it?
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

No, found a matching vehicle computer will swap this week and see what happens. Fingers crossed.

Still not going to work, it'll need to be set up with TIS2web FIRST.

Can't reprogram vats or other things? I will be working on this again tomorrow.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by ls1mike View Post
    Can't reprogram vats or other things? I will be working on this again tomorrow.
    Yes, but it wont matter if you dont have the correct base system/platform programmed into the ECM already (via TechII/Tis2Web).
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Lifetime Member

The only bad E38 ECU i have encountered displayed IAT and ECT at -40. Wiring was OK...... Replaced ECU.. problem solved.. I still have it here just for not throwing it away.
    "All that is needed for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing..."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast