Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fls, Mpc, Epr files

Not sure why you would even buy it now anyway, AT was the only solution before EFILive supported the LML (which we've done for about two years now). It doesn't give you anything more than really expensive hardware that is a total pain to use, it is not a magic bullet by any means. I had no idea about the on-going subscription fees.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Lifetime Member

it will always work if you don't pay the subscription but you just won't get new ECM's or protocols as they come out.
    Last edited by catman3126; October 29th, 2015 at 04:18 PM.
    2015 3500HD crew cab long bed, 6" fabtech, slightly tuned, emissions intact.
    2005 dmax ccsb, EFI live tuned DSP 5 Full built motor, S471 billet single, More better built trans this time. and lots of other things.
    1984 CJ7 powered by a 2000 LS1. 4L60E.
    2012 Jetta TDI 6 speed manual, (yes the dirty the bastard haha)
    2003 Jetta TDI,
    1986 K10 LQ4/4L80E

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    Not sure why you would even buy it now anyway, AT was the only solution before EFILive supported the LML (which we've done for about two years now). It doesn't give you anything more than really expensive hardware that is a total pain to use, it is not a magic bullet by any means. I had no idea about the on-going subscription fees.
    So what about for Cummins? We don't have full parameters for cummins. Yet those are still getting deleted as tunes downloaded currently.
    2005 dmax ccsb, EFI live tuned DSP 5 Full built motor, S471 billet single, More better built trans this time. and lots of other things.
    2003 Jetta TDI,
    1986 K10 LQ4/4L80E

AT won't work on Cummins ECM's, I don't know how other tuners are doing what they do, but you all know why we won't offer it.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    AT won't work on Cummins ECM's, I don't know how other tuners are doing what they do, but you all know why we won't offer it.
    Want to screen a screen shot? And I guess I missed why you don't offer it?
    2003 Jetta TDI,
    1986 K10 LQ4/4L80E

Forum search function will give you the answer, its been done to death.
    Re what AT will work on, TBH I don't really know (or care), we don't own one, I'm just passing on what I hear.

For anyone considering the investment in extracting raw bins from ecms with an AT, this is what you are required to have.

The third party software/hardware, invest $6k-$7k

A bench harness/ecm for LML, avg investment $800-$1000

Yearly Subscription to TIS ( GM ONLY ) which the service programming is $1000-$1400/year last time I checked

A way to bench program and then boot read the ecm, TECH2 $2500 or Mongoose Cable $600 or an MDI $2000 for programming alone.

So if you think investing $10k to get stock ( BIN) files makes financial sense, when Kory and I and a few others have made it quite reasonable to buy them in EFI-Live Format then I think that $10K must be burning a hole in peoples pockets.

A raw bin file is like looking at CHINESE, there are no labels, there are no markers, there is nothing that will help you to do what your trying to do and without a way to decipher that code its like looking to assemble a 10,000 piece puzzle with no picture on the box.

There is a reason that very few people are doing these, we are not hobbyist tuners, its not a dig at anyone who is a hobby tuner, but the reality is that unless you want to spend a lot of time and a lot of money to do this, you are just not going to be able to easily do any of this, and your sales volume will have to be such to support the effort to even get it started.

Good Luck
    www.mscservices.net

Tuner of many, many Duramax and Cummins Diesels.

Quote Originally Posted by GMC-2002-Dmax View Post
    A bench harness/ecm for LML, avg investment $800-$1000
    For a spare LML ECM??? I have like $14 in my bench harness, and LML ECM's can be had from the junkyard for $250.

Yearly Subscription to TIS ( GM ONLY ) which the service programming is $1000-$1400/year last time I checked
    You can also do a 2-day subscription for $50

A way to bench program and then boot read the ecm, TECH2 $2500 or Mongoose Cable $600 or an MDI $2000 for programming alone.
    Im not going to talk about the "clones" that cost peanuts and work fine, but a "legit" J2534 alternative option is the Tactrix cable, its $169 and works with TIS2WEB. Does not support J1850VPW though, CAN only.

http://www.tactrix.com/index.php

A raw bin file is like looking at CHINESE, there are no labels, there are no markers, there is nothing that will help you to do what your trying to do and without a way to decipher that code its like looking to assemble a 10,000 piece puzzle with no picture on the box.
    But if you have some special bits, it makes it a lot easier.
    2005 Silverado, CC/SB, 4x4, LT, LILLY/Allison
    12.9s @ 108 mph

many thanks to Ross and Paul

Ben, I am glad you can build a Bench Harness from all your spare parts for $14, many cannot and will need to source them elsewhere or its just not worth our time to spend on it when we can readily buy the stuff and have it just come in a box, many are not as talented as you are with respect to wiring and building electronics.

Yes you sure can get a 2/day for $50, but I process sometimes 15-20 TIS tunes a day, so for me its not worth going there for $50 a clip, I supply 2001-2015 Tunes to a lot of shops and other tuners.

I have all the above mentioned hardware in my post, I might not need it all to be legitimate and I am sure the "clones" work just fine, but to each their own.

I tried a Chinese CANDI Module and it was junk and worked 1 out of every 10 times I needed to use it, so I bought the real one and its been flawless, just like my TECH2 is genuine and not a CHINA CLONE.

If I have a need for a new bench harness, and if your willing to build me one for $25 or $14, I sure will send the business your way, as that would be a nice savings over the $125 or so I paid for the LML one I have without the power supply and the extra things I added to it so that I can do what I want with it.

Thanks for letting the others know there are alternatives available, as information is good to have.
    www.mscservices.net

Tuner of many, many Duramax and Cummins Diesels.

Catman, tell ya what to use that JTAG tool for... Reverse engineering the OS of all these other BOSCH ECM's out there that EFIlive could easily be used for. Like the VW and MB common rail platforms. Basically "Identical" to the Dmax and C in all hardware aspects, besides the OS. I'll happily send ya couple for starters to play with.

You guys do know it's legit now to write your own ECU OS? No different than rooting or jail breaking a cell phone. Maybe this will help open up more of that information..

https://www.eff.org/mention/dmca-rul...or-your-iphone

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast