Thread: Basic beginner needing some direction

Default Basic beginner needing some direction

Hello all,

I am kind of new to looking through and posting to forums. I will try to keep my ignorance to a minimum and avoid asking stupid questions. I have done a few LS1 swaps at work as well as a couple personal projects, so I am not completely ignorant. I have never done the programing myself, but am looking into purchasing a tuner. EFI Live is highly recommended by the people I have worked with in the past. Which is why I have found my way here. I have been looking around a few threads and this seems like it might be a good place to start.

First of all, what are some good sources with some simple wording to start learning?

I do have a specific question too. I know EFI can do all sorts of cool little tricks, but can it also access things like the backup sensors of a suburban? My parents have a 2007 Suburban with a 5.3 that has faulty sensors in the rear bumper, as well as a shredded harness making it beep constantly when in reverse. It is $900+ just for the parts. In stead of replacing all of that, they are willing to help fund my investment if I can just program that out of it.

I'd be very appreciative for any help

Lifetime Member

Welcome!

For learning, start reading the forum here. There is a LOT of good information (and some bad, once you start reading you'll be able to pick it out) on here.

No, EFILive communicates ONLY with the PCM/ECM/TCM modules. No ABS, ECBM, LGM, etc. You would have to either buy a Tech II/MDI or a Mongoose (features limited) to do that.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Thanks for the reply. I'll keep reading and learning.
    As for the suburban, I was holding out hope that there was maybe a signal being sent from the transmission when it was in reverse.

Also read the scantool/tunetool pdfs.