Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: E92 ECM support released

Finally the GEN 5 LT1 has its power rating(s)
    With the standard exhaust power is the newer SAE "Certified" power of 455hp at
    6000rpm/460 lb/ft torque at 4600rpm
    With its optional exhaust, SAE Certified power is up to 460 hp@ 6,000rpm/465 lb/ft torque @ 4600rpm. Without a doubt, this is the highest output of any standard engine GM has ever stuffed into a production vehicle, bigblock or smallblock. It has torque that rivals the 7.0l 427 cube GEN 4 LS7 under 4700rpm.

Someone sneek under the fence with their laptop and snag an LT1 calibration for us to play with.

peace
    Hog
    1997 rcsb stock L31 longblock, Marine Intake with 28# EV6 injectors, L35 2700 stall TC,Hooker LT's 2.007 60ft

Quote Originally Posted by hog View Post
    Finally the GEN 5 LT1 has its power rating(s)
    With the standard exhaust power is the newer SAE "Certified" power of 455hp at
    6000rpm/460 lb/ft torque at 4600rpm
    With its optional exhaust, SAE Certified power is up to 460 hp@ 6,000rpm/465 lb/ft torque @ 4600rpm. Without a doubt, this is the highest output of any standard engine GM has ever stuffed into a production vehicle, bigblock or smallblock. It has torque that rivals the 7.0l 427 cube GEN 4 LS7 under 4700rpm.

Someone sneek under the fence with their laptop and snag an LT1 calibration for us to play with.

peace
    Hog
    Also from GM

3.6L twin turbo LF3 engine gets its SAE "Certified" rating The new 2014 Cadillac CTS coming out this fall get sthe new twin turbo LF3 V6 with Direct Injection is rated at 420 hp and 430 lb/ft torque with 90% of this torque available from 2500rpm-5500rpm. It features 118 hp/liter.
    It features 10.2:1 compression, domed and coated pistons, tuned inlet and outlet resonators, full floating wrist pins, forged steel crank, piston oil squirters. The turbo uses a patented charge air cooling system similar to a positive displacement blower which shortens the path from turbo to the engine. All this fun is channeled to the wheels via a new 8 speed auto trans.

peace
    Hog
    1997 rcsb stock L31 longblock, Marine Intake with 28# EV6 injectors, L35 2700 stall TC,Hooker LT's 2.007 60ft

If it has 430 ftlb torque then why does it need an 8 speed auto trans (i.e. instead of just using engine torque plus torque multiplication)...?

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by hog View Post
    Also from GM

3.6L twin turbo LF3 engine gets its SAE "Certified" rating The new 2014 Cadillac CTS coming out this fall get sthe new twin turbo LF3 V6 with Direct Injection is rated at 420 hp and 430 lb/ft torque with 90% of this torque available from 2500rpm-5500rpm. It features 118 hp/liter.
    It features 10.2:1 compression, domed and coated pistons, tuned inlet and outlet resonators, full floating wrist pins, forged steel crank, piston oil squirters. The turbo uses a patented charge air cooling system similar to a positive displacement blower which shortens the path from turbo to the engine. All this fun is channeled to the wheels via a new 8 speed auto trans.

peace
    Hog
    I saw that as well, makes me all warm n fuzzy inside. Just needs to be put in the ATS-V!

That said, I wonder if this will be the last year for the LSA in the CTS-V then...hope not.

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    If it has 430 ftlb torque then why does it need an 8 speed auto trans (i.e. instead of just using engine torque plus torque multiplication)...?
    Because GM is way behind the times on transmissions, heck I think some German cars are coming with 9 speeds now. Most Audis 2012+ are 8 speed. Allows for less drop between shifts, makes the power delivery feel more linear because it (power) doesnt drop off between shifts.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

True, more gears allows closer spacing... but requires more moving parts and more gear shifts (drag racers want to minimize the number of shifts);

a large displacement engine that produces lots of torque throughout out most of the rpm range can easily be very quick with a mildly loose torque converter (as has been shown historically).

8 Speed, 9 Speed, sounds like engineers playing mine is bigger than yours. I'm with Joe on this one, a decent sized engine (or that LF3 thing) will make plenty of torque everywhere, they don't need shifts happening all over the place, I bet Cadillac only stuck that trans in for the European market. I'm just thinking back to my old LS1 with a 4 speed and even that never felt like it was struggling no matter what gear because of the torque. Whereas an LFW 3.0L with a 6L60E is all over the place because the engine has no torque. I know of a shop out here who just completed a 4L80E swap in place of a 6L80E for a car that sees a lot of dragstrip action.
    I believe this 8 speed auto not a GM design, it's by Aisin.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    8 Speed, 9 Speed, sounds like engineers playing mine is bigger than yours. I'm with Joe on this one, a decent sized engine (or that LF3 thing) will make plenty of torque everywhere, they don't need shifts happening all over the place, I bet Cadillac only stuck that trans in for the European market. I'm just thinking back to my old LS1 with a 4 speed and even that never felt like it was struggling no matter what gear because of the torque. Whereas an LFW 3.0L with a 6L60E is all over the place because the engine has no torque. I know of a shop out here who just completed a 4L80E swap in place of a 6L80E for a car that sees a lot of dragstrip action.
    I believe this 8 speed auto not a GM design, it's by Aisin.
    Is any trans really a GM design? Borg Warner, Hydramatic, Tremec, Allison etc etc.

I do agree that there is a bunch "more is better" thinking going on in regards to shifting. Whats the point of bragging about a long flat torque curve if its broken up by many a shift. Even the 6 speed auto's with their 4.03:1 1st gear upshift in the middle of a turn from a dead stop. Annoying.

Best trans auto trans would have the gearing of the thm-200r4(1st 2.74:1, 2nd 1.57: 3rd 1.00: OD 0.67 with the strength of the 4l85e trans. Not a huge rpm drop during upshifts, and a nice deep OD ratio for cruising.

peace
    Hog

I like the 200-4R... I also like the 4L80E/85E (2.48, 1.48, 1.00, 0.75), it has the closest ratios of the old school GM transmissions.

( I though the newer Hydra-Matic was a division of the old GM... there was an older Hydramatic company apart from the old GM, before my time )
    Last edited by joecar; June 5th, 2013 at 02:14 AM.

I would assume that the gears are for better MPG performance and not acceleration performance. Having the ability to cruise on the freeway at 85 MPH and a low BSFC means that we'll be seeing really high Highway MPG Ratings.. To meet the extremely high MPG requirements that will probably have to be renegotiated before the due date.
    -Adam Chant
    Tune it or lose it!
    2007 Saturn SKY 2.4L Automatic - E67
    EFILive Tuned

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    I know of a shop out here who just completed a 4L80E swap in place of a 6L80E for a car that sees a lot of dragstrip action.
    I've had a 4l80 in a VE Calais for 8 months now using E38 and T42 all working on can bus and fully functional. Had to make auto wiring loom from scratch. Even used a 4l80 file for the T42 which i have posted before. Thanks to Ross for moddifying original E38 file. The car is nearly finished and has 460 rwkw so far, will be hitting the drag strip very soon. GM LSX block, mast 6 bolt cylinder heads, htv 2300, 4l80 and GForce 9" diff and axles. Two built 6l80 autos failed before this whilst similar engine was in another car so not worth the money for high horsepower cars.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567