Thread: VATS removal

Default VATS removal

I have attached a file for a E38 which I believe to have removed the vats. Unfortunately I have 12v to one side of the fuel injector connector but don't have any ground at all-ever. When I turn the engine over I have spark. So... I am believing the I am having a vats intervention. I can pour gas into the throttle body and it will hit and run for a second or two. Please look at this file and help. Please note that I have applied the non-vats patch and done a full image flash and still no-go! I have tried everything even down to vats type switch settings from 1 to 3 doing a full image flash between every change. Thanks in advance.E38_Silver buggy.ctz

Lifetime Member

What are you getting on the ignition switch side/how is your ignition switch wired up? Id look at G1219 and G1220.

Not sure if G1213 should be set to No, usually you'd wire that into a clutch pedal (otherwise you can start the engine in gear). Why did you adjust the stoich point and set idle to 1000rpms? It appears to be a stock engine looking at the tune.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

The stoich of ethanol gasoline is around 14.2-hence the reason i adjusted it. Look at Ford and the new coyote engine the stoich is at 14.09 for todays fuels. As far as the idle being at 1000-it is in a buggy and a good starter point for the hyd pumps to work. The buggy manufacturer (which i tune lots for) recommends 1000-1100 for the steeering to work properly. There is big cam, big stall and hydraulics-short answer. This is just a starter tune and nowhere near complete. ASs far as G1219 & 1220,- the engine will turn over but it won't run.

On an interesting note. I did an injector test and it fires the injectors but it seems to fire them in the firing order of the vehicle. I always thought cylinder A was cylinder 1, cylinder b was cylinder 2-so on and so forth. For example when you get a P0302 (cylinder B mis fire it is always cylinder 2). Something just doesn't seem right in the harness or computer that is on the buggy. If I flash the vats patch on then i don't have any firing to the plugs when i flash the vats patch off it will fire the coils. I am fairly confident the vats patch is correct. -j
    Last edited by jah81592; May 22nd, 2013 at 11:05 PM.

What does the G1219 and 1220 do? Is this only for cranking/turn engine over? Please elaborate.

On later E38 programs the ECM checks to see if there is a presence of a starter relay, on most conversions the starter relay isn't controlled by the ECM, that being the case the ECM won't allow the engine to run when it detects the open circuit. Those parameters just bypass that check.

The big problem with troubleshooting conversions and why they are not running is there is just so many variables that might be stopping it running. With E38's when the VATS is active (not disabled) it kills everything, fuel and spark, so if you are seeing it doing something with the injectors or spark then your VATS patch is doing it's job.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.