Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KR at upper RPM

Lifetime Member

Default KR at upper RPM

I had tried with both a modified Spark Adv and the stock one for the record.
    I have some KR approaching the 4000 RPM range in the .60-up gm/cyl area. With both.
    I noticed this during a KR and Spark log I typically run....and when I was getting on the interstate. So I was in like 3rd gear pull. Did also from a stop running up thru the gears.
    Anyone else have this with their 4.3 ?
    Spark Tables in the mid 20* range and it pulls down to high teens in KR. Pulling like close to 7* and below in this area.

I don't have a 4.3L...

But..

Can you verify that it is real knock and not some valvetrain noise...

Can you hear it knock using a Chassis Ear...?

Lifetime Member

I dont have a Chassis Ear :(

Lifetime Member

Those timing chains are notorious for getting loose too.
    2003 Chevy S10 4.3L LU3 LS1B Auto
    48 LB injectors
    Race Proven Motors 2114 intake
    T70 turbo.

Lifetime Member

My exh is not quiet when you are getting on it (Edel headers and y-pipe, no cat, Hooker SuperComp and dump before axle) but I dont hear any audible pinging.

Side note..today I had some time, so I changed my AFR for e10 from what I was using 14.22 to 14.42. Thought maybe 14.2 was a bit rich and our gas is 'up to 10% eth' according to the stations. So stock was 14.68 on my truck. I figured I would bring it up a notch since my best milage has been 16.2 and I was getting 16.5 beofre. However, maybe I was getting better because of the 'winter' fuel blend. Now summer is here we have 'summer' blend. So could be that was the difference in my economy going down some?

After I reflashed the PE Ratio change and Commanded AFR change, I noticed while I was idleing in neutral, my AFR went very lean (17's). Gave throttle and came back up, but went lean for a minute after let off. Drove fine and AFR was toggleing as usual. PE came on as usual. But when I pulled to a stop and idled, it went lean again. Did it 2 more times after a drive and coming to a stop. Is that normal until it relearns to go so lean when coming to a stop after a drive. After a minute it goes back into normal idle afr :( weird

Is there some listening device you can rig up (hose) to listen while driving...?

It might just been noise...

Avoid going lean.

Lifetime Member

Yea it could be just normal 4.3 noise. I recall hearing about it years ago. However dont recall what rpm its normal at.
    I do know over the years they have done stuff to reduce noise in the 4.3 (balance shaft, roller cam/lifters, roller rockers, a guide on the timing chain, aluminum oil pan, etc.) Mine is a 2003 which has all that. Plus I have aftermarket Comp Pro Mag 1.52 full roller rockers. Then again I may want to pull a cover and check to see if one has come loose. Tho with arp rocker studs and locking nuts, its not likely.

Yea the lean when return to idle after this last flash is a concern. IIRC tho I remember there is some of the 07-up LSx's that have a certain issue (dont recall exactly) that takes a few drives to correct itself. Seems like thats a ETC and IAT idle corelation

Lifetime Member

Have you installed the GM chain tensioner kit in your 4.3 yet? Its available at the dealer or other places. It is a tsb from gm for the 4.3 . It does help if you have a chain rattle. Edit I see now you said a chain guide is installed as well.
    1997 S10, 06 trailblazer SS LS2 swap, 4L70E trans, 76mm turbo. Factory ZQ8 suspension. 3.08, G80 w/a zexel. With a 0411 swap.

Lifetime Member

IIRC 2003 had it from the factory. Or am I mistaken?

Lifetime Member

Im not sure when they installed them from the factory. I know my old 97 4.3 didnt have one and probably should have.
    1997 S10, 06 trailblazer SS LS2 swap, 4L70E trans, 76mm turbo. Factory ZQ8 suspension. 3.08, G80 w/a zexel. With a 0411 swap.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast