Thread: Basic FAQ/Tuning Advice

Default Basic FAQ/Tuning Advice

Is there a basic tuning FAQ for the LSx PCM and more specifically using EFI Live? We've got an inhouse Dyno Dynamics dyno with a wideband and it seems most people are saying to use autotune in this forum but many of my potential LSx customers do not have a wideband installed. While I can sell them one I really need to make use of what I have first.

What I would like to know how to do off the bat is tune WOT for A/F and timing, and delete the MILs for rear o2 removal of near stock vehicles. Searching the archives might be a good idea for someone with nothing but time on their hands but a "pointer to all things basic" would be better.

BTW: I feel like a DA working on LS1's as I'm much more familar with tuning import turboed and nitrous vehicles like Supra's, MR2's and the like using an AEM EMS, Emanage, etc. EFI Live looks very powerful but all the tools don't help me if I don't have some basic concepts of the software in the PCM and available to me with EFI Live.

TIA!
    - Marshall | http://www.performancemotorsports.com | Dyno Dynamics in the house!

Welcome aboard... here is a great place to start

http://www.efilive.com/download.aspx#tutorials

PE and VE are the best ways to tune for WOT deleting the MILs is easy just open up the software and type in the terms your looking for in the search dialog box and it should get you what you need...

... don't see tutorial on basic tuning there as it's just for autoVE, scan tool, custom os, etc. Thanks for the MIL advice - read a post about this after starting thread.
    - Marshall | http://www.performancemotorsports.com | Dyno Dynamics in the house!

Start with the Scan tool. Understanding that will make tuning much much more understandable. You can download a full demo poke around with it.

And try this its in MS Word

http://ls1sounds.com/temp/ls1tuninginfo.doc

Awesome! I've been using the scan tool all day and see and understand the basic information and logging (I'm a computer guy too!). Since this is a customer car and driving it on the road is out of the question then it's going to be hard getting LTFT's worked out if they aren't close. I've got the commercial version btw.

For some reason I thought it would be more straight forward and I was smarted than I am! Seat time is what I really need with the new software and PCM. Customer's drive up in all sorts of rides and expect us to know everything about their car and be able to get "more power" right out of the box and within minutes on the dyno - arg! Tuning takes the manufactures tons of time and money of which many of today's customers don't have - damn GTO has cats too which isn't helping me see proper o2 values out the tailpipe - can I just remove one of the pre-cat sensors without the car getting too pissed?

Keep those cards and letters coming!

... more DA feeling. The AutoVE tuning tutorial should be "EFI Live 101" - makes more sense now. Still some parts of the process I seem to be missing from the equation but now I can go to sleep and think about this tomorrow am.

What kind of wideband are you using. I could not tell from your website. I also could not tell what kind of tuning package you use on potential LSx customers cars. LSx people are getting hip to the fact that the best and the brightess are down with Live. I would assume that the wideband you are using is capable of dual outputs? You could rig up a harness that would allow you to remove the customers (CAT'd) front narrow band 02 and plug in your wideband all while configuring and feeding the customer's pcm the narrow band signal it needs so it won't throw a code. I made up cable like this with an Innovate LC-1.

As far as LSx tuning goes from what I have seen the PCMs are pretty tolerant to mild bolt on mods. I would think that most potential customers that would want to seek out professional tuning would have major internal / power adder mods that greatly alter the Volumetric Efficiency of the motor. The MAF, 02's, LTFTs, etc. will compensate quite a bit but will leave alot of power / efficiency on the table while in Closed Loop fueling. The basic concept of AutoVe tuning is to shut off all the "shouting voices," (senors) and get the car into Open Loop Speed Density and get right down to fixing the calibration or Prediction of how much air will be going in and out of the motor at a given rpm / MAP / ECT. Once the predictions are corrected the car can be brought back to Closed loop for emissions purposes-some performance enthusisats prefer to be in SD full time- they are not potential customers, they are your tuning peers.

Try to think about what potential customers will want and give them options that they will want, "I give you money, you make my car go faster."

I am a noob at this also so any oldbies please jump in and kick me in the head with an iron boot if I flubbed up on any of this.

2000 Silverado Full Size 4x4: Forged 6.2, H/C F1R Procharger
    98A4 Z28: 02 PCM H/C Forged 347, 9" Moser 3.73
    V1 V2 99+up RR COS #5 OLSD Dual Stg N20
    www.efialchemy.com
    www.greatamericancarwar.com

What part of the AutoVE are you needing help with?

Does your dyno's wideband have a 0-5V output signal...?
    Last edited by joecar; March 31st, 2006 at 07:46 AM.

im geussing he has the model a autronic wb which has a 0-5v and 0-1v outputs, i have a dd dyno but opted for the better model b wb that uses a different sensor