Thread: Do I have a fried ECM??

Default Do I have a fried ECM??

Hey everyone.

First off, let me start by saying that this truck has made me pull my hair out the last few days. I have tried everything on this vehicle to get it tuned. It is a 2001 year model truck. It has somewhere around 500K miles on it. So here we go

Yes, the truck has 500K on it. It has had the gauge cluster REPLACED, so I do not know if that has had something to do with the truck not taking the flash or not. I cannot even READ the ECM info. It gives me a VIN that is straight up gibberish and a garbled mess. So I have read that this means the trucks ECM is just gone? It will give me the seed key, but the VIN is ruined it seems. The truck also had a PPE on it at one time, but has been removed. I removed every fuse, everything. The error that I get most is that this controller is locked with a custom key. Error 0532 I beleive? But the security light is also ALWAYS constantly on. It will not go off. I reset the BCM module as he had just changed his batteries. The owner of the duramax said he is 99.99% sure that the security light came on after the battery change. He changed both batteries at once. I have read so many different things that I am not sure where to go.... Should I not be able to read the trucks ECM without having my Flashscan V2 licensed to it? I have NOT licensed the truck to my Flashscan yet because I do not want to waste a Vin license. I do know that it will need to be licensed for me to flash it, but when I just try to READ the PCM only, should I have to burn my vin license to only read it? I cannot read it in V7.5 or V8. I am plumb fed up with this truck. We are completely tempted to go get another used ECM. The truck starts and runs just fine, but the security light is always on, the VIN is gargled and useless, BUT I can get the seed key from it. Also would someone answer the silly question if I have to have his vehicle licensed to my flashscan just so I can ONLY read his ecm before I flash it. ( Which it says has a custom lock key on it anyways??)

I appreciate ANY help guys!!! We are leaning towards just going to find him another ECM from an 01 somewhere... Thanks guys..

-Adam
    07.5 2500 Cummins, 5" exhaust, SBDD Clutch, Edge for gauges, 35" Mickey Thompson ATZ's, MightDiesel Headbolts, CAI, EGR/DPF fell off.

Use the V7.5 tune tool and click the "Calibration Details" icon.

If the serial number is 0000000000 and the BCC is gibberish the ecm is probably corrupted. You can send it to Guy and Socal Diesel, he is one of the EFI-Live Distributors and have it checked to see if it is repairable.
    www.mscservices.net

Tuner of many, many Duramax and Cummins Diesels.

Quote Originally Posted by Slow6.7 View Post
    ... It gives me a VIN that is straight up gibberish and a garbled mess.
    We have seen this before, and restored several. Our restoration/diagnostic fee is miinimal, and might be a better direction for you. If it cannot be restored, then the fee can be put toward another. We have your ECM (...505) in stock.
    Michael, Systems Engineer 04.5 D-max LLY, Phoenix, Arizona Email
    Custom Tuning Services
    DURAMAX/CUMMINS ECM's TCM's for sale, all years, 20% wholesale discount available
    EFILive's first VGT "Software Wastegate Tune"

Guy at SOCAL can either recover it or repair it for you most likely, so he gets my vote. He has always gotten me my VIN licenses quickly, and gives LOTS of good info over the phone as well if you call him up. Sounds like the ECM got flashed by GM and corrupted. I read alot about this as I was worried beings I have an 01 ECM in my BURB.
    1995 GMC 2500 SUBURBAN powered by 01 DURAMAX/ALLISON, little of this, a little of that,
    DIAMONDEYE 4" exhaust, CORSA muffler, AFE stage 1 dry filter, custom tuning by me, KENNEDY single pump and pump rub kit.

This truck also had previously had a PPE on it once before. Maybe could have caused my problem?
    07.5 2500 Cummins, 5" exhaust, SBDD Clutch, Edge for gauges, 35" Mickey Thompson ATZ's, MightDiesel Headbolts, CAI, EGR/DPF fell off.

Yes, that is possible. One of several possible corruption sources. It is generally not the fault of the handheld itself, but other variables when the flash occurs...things like battery status, bus load, aftermarket device electrical noise, the list is long. Often the most reliable form of fixing it, is to have the recovery business flash your chosen file or handheld at the time of the service, off-board. That way you get back something that you don't have to wrestle with on-board.
    Michael, Systems Engineer 04.5 D-max LLY, Phoenix, Arizona Email
    Custom Tuning Services
    DURAMAX/CUMMINS ECM's TCM's for sale, all years, 20% wholesale discount available
    EFILive's first VGT "Software Wastegate Tune"

I understand. I have another truck that I am gonna swap the ECM into and see how it does. I just hope some noise is on a line somewhere, but I HIGHLY doubt it.