Thread: Converting an HPTuners file over to EFILive? Or other solutions

Question Converting an HPTuners file over to EFILive? Or other solutions

1. Before I actually post the file (In case its against the rules or something), is anyone on here able to convert an hptuners file (from my friends truck), over to EFILive file for a starting place for my newly swapped 6.0 lq9 in place of the current 5.3?

2. If that isn't doable, would it be possible for him to upload that tune, from a 2004 dbw silverado ecu, into my 2002 dbc silverado ecu? And me just extract it from my own computer after that?

Any help or suggestions would be great.

Thank you

Jeremy

Lifetime Member

If it's not a HP Tuners Custom OS it's readable by EFI-Live.

Quote Originally Posted by IJ. View Post
    If it's not a HP Tuners Custom OS it's readable by EFI-Live.
    Just tried renaming file from .hpt to .tun or .ctz and it would not read with EFILive.

Didn't think it was a custom OS, but I don't know for sure.

Where do I go from there?

Lifetime Member

No you'll have to plug V2 into the car and suck it out to be able to save/read it, sorry should have said so.
    (and only as long as it's not a COS)

Quote Originally Posted by IJ. View Post
    No you'll have to plug V2 into the car and suck it out to be able to save/read it, sorry should have said so.
    (and only as long as it's not a COS)
    Ok cool

And it wont matter that the tune will be from an 04 drive by wire PCM file going into my 02 drive by cable PCM?

Lifetime Member

OS numbers need to match, can't see that working at all..

Quote Originally Posted by sac811 View Post
    And it wont matter that the tune will be from an 04 drive by wire PCM file going into my 02 drive by cable PCM?
    Yes, it will matter. You can't stick the 1Mb file into a 512kB PCM.

There are a few ways you could go to see how his works in order to emulate it, you could:

1. Go read out his truck with your V2 then copy what you find into your OS
    2. Download HP tuners demo and look a the file table by table and alter your file to the same
    3. Post it up here and maybe a helpful member with both packages might convert it for you.

In any event, you will still have to manually compare each table for changes since you cant just flash a 1Mb OS into a 512kb PCM
    Option 1 will atleast mean all the tables are labelled similarly between files to make copy-pasting quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by darcy View Post
    Yes, it will matter. You can't stick the 1Mb file into a 512kB PCM.

There are a few ways you could go to see how his works in order to emulate it, you could:

1. Go read out his truck with your V2 then copy what you find into your OS
    2. Download HP tuners demo and look a the file table by table and alter your file to the same
    3. Post it up here and maybe a helpful member with both packages might convert it for you.

In any event, you will still have to manually compare each table for changes since you cant just flash a 1Mb OS into a 512kb PCM
    Option 1 will atleast mean all the tables are labelled similarly between files to make copy-pasting quicker.
    Guess I will just try the HPTuners demo method, because he no longer has the truck.

But for what its worth, the file size is the same from his 04 PCM as my 02 PCM 450-475kb

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by sac811 View Post
    Guess I will just try the HPTuners demo method, because he no longer has the truck.

But for what its worth, the file size is the same from his 04 PCM as my 02 PCM 450-475kb
    If it's a true 04 truck, it's a 1MB flash. Does that mean GM used all 1MB? No, but it also means you cant use it in a 512kb PCM.

Honestly, you're going to need a WBO2 to tune it correctly anyway, Id suggest buying one and using a stock LQ9 ala SSS/Escalade tune to start. Copy the VE, spark, displacement, injectors (if you swapped them), etc into your stock tune. Either AutoVE or Calc.VET it and have the VE/MAF tables dialed in pretty quickly.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.