Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tuning assistance on my 08 5.3 silverado

Lifetime Member

Default Tuning assistance on my 08 5.3 silverado

Quote Originally Posted by icemanjc1 View Post
    LC-1 is on the way, but I have another question. Air per cyl oz/ cylinder vs. grams/cylinder. Why does the axis measured to cyl oz and not to grams per cylinder if we log in grams/cylinder? How are we supposed to track thinks like spark timing in the tune?

Also, the fuel that is sold around here is up to 10% ethanol. So being that my truck is calculating at anywhere from 19%-35% ethanol and adjusting accordingly, wouldn't it be wise to set B3671 higher to achieve a better AFR for the time being?
    You should change the displayed units in your tune to match the units your logging (metric) or vice versa. To change the tube units, click edit->configure display units, then select the table number in the list and click your desired unit type.

You can also get a fuel tester kit to calculate the ethanol composition and then compare it to what your truck is measuring and then adjust b3671 (I'm assuming your referencing the AFR from ethanol percentage table) accordingly based on the desired AFR for your fuel
    14 GMC Sierra
    5.3L CC SB 4x4
    Basic tuning....

Well that's an easy fix, thank you.
    Joel
    -6.7 powered 2006 Ram QC 4x4 Auto, EFI Live, Garrett, Thuren.

-08 Chevy Silverado 4x4 5.3, built 4l70E, COMP cam and Thorly headers.

In scantool: on PIDs tab, click the column headings to get pids with same units grouped together, highlight the group, then go rightclick->Metric.

In tunetool: go Edit->Configure Display Units, then for each of Data, Col, Row click the heading to group by same units, highlight the group, then go rightclick->Metric (as Wheelz said).

Here's my new setup: 6.0 ls2 block with ported Scroggin Dickie heads, Vinci ultra torque cam (080), flat top pistons (10.5 to 1), stock intake manifold, S&B intake, tri Y headers....

Runs pretty well considering it's my stone age tuning. BUT, I need this pick up tuned better and I obviously am incapable of doing this. For one, the LC-1 needs to calibrated yet doesn't come with a push button switch or LED, screw it I hooked it up anyway. The fact that you need a Null modem adaptor, ok, got that. Turn it all on in the V2 or in V8, done. Rewrite the file according to SwingTan's tutorial, did it. Setup PID file to log data, no. No. No. Can't find BEN FACTOR for WB anywhere. MAP and RPM won't even log (N/A). WB 02 AFR reads up in the 50:1's..... Not to mention the fact the frickin' thing barely idles and runs runs rich as hell, won't hardly rev up. NOW FOR MY Question.

Who's willing to exercise extreme patience and walk me through how to setup a ACTUAL, test file that I can actually log in or order to change the VVE? A PID file actually for a GEN 4 E38? Hell, I would pay one of you to write a tune file for me. I can't describe to all of you how sick it makes feel to not understand how to make this work. Everywhere I search, people say it works and mildly describe how to do it, but leave out tid bits of info that are required to get to the spoken purpose. Assumption is that "been there, you should know how".

As you can tell, just finished fighting with this and I'm furious!

E38new6.0_0001.ctz
    Last edited by icemanjc1; April 23rd, 2014 at 05:03 PM.
    Joel

Hi Joel,

Let's start with the pids you can't log... post a screenshot of the scantool's PID's tab showing the pids you selected,,,

"MAP and RPM won't even log"

are SAE.MAP and SAE.RPM the pids selected (rather than GM.MAP and GM.RPM)...?

Also, apparently you got the serial comms connection to the wideband working...

can you see the LC-1's AFR on the V2 LCD...?

sanity check:
    your serial comms should be wired like this:
    LC-1 <-- terminator plug (blank stereo jack looking plug),
    LC-1 --> Innovate serial cable --> null modem adapter --> EFILive serial cable --> FlashScan V2.

if you don't have the pushbutton that came with the LC-1, then you can still initiate free air calibration from the V2 LCD/menu.

You have to do both O2 heater calibration (once only) and free air calibration (periodically), do you understand how to do each...?
    Last edited by joecar; April 24th, 2014 at 02:57 AM.

Also, which V7 and V8 software build versions are you using...?

V8: should tell you when you start V8 Scan&Tune (S&T).
    V7: in scantool or tunetool do Help->About.

MAP and RPM probably were SAE, I'll use GM. Terminator plug is in the out port, serial plug connected to the COM in. I have not done either calibration and am not sure how, nor did I now it was possible through the V2. I'll get back to you on the software build versions, laptop is at home and I'm at work. Tonight I also need to post the VVE tuning base file I made....
    Joel

"Terminator plug is in the out port, serial plug connected to the COM in."

This ^ is wrong...

it should be like this:
    LC-1 SERIAL IN <-- terminator plug (blank stereo jack looking plug),
    LC-1 SERIAL OUT --> Innovate serial cable --> null modem adapter --> EFILive serial cable --> FlashScan V2.

"MAP and RPM probably were SAE, I'll use GM."

You will find the reverse.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast